Sign in to follow this  
munger

Bmp3 beta 0.6 released

I just tried it. I'm not going to comment on the textures because it's a beta release, but here are my few cents:

1. Tucha. What is it? When I select the Tucha, my screen turns green and in a few moments I'm dead. If I select the "Fire Tucha" from the action menu, I hear a grenade going off, but nothing else. Is it supposed to be some kind of smoke dispenser system or what?

2. BMP-3M with ERA. I don't know how effective the ERA is in reality, but I don't think it can take two direct hits from a Leopard 2A4 before being destroyed. First hit killed most of the crew, though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Feb. 10 2003,12:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Tucha. What is it? When I select the Tucha, my screen turns green and in a few moments I'm dead. If I select the "Fire Tucha" from the action menu, I hear a grenade going off, but nothing else. Is it supposed to be some kind of smoke dispenser system or what?<span id='postcolor'>

It's somekind of smoke grenades I think

Few issues from my betatesting...

~ textures - cannot leave beta stage. another thing is that personally I like when textures in addons ale close to textures used in original OFP units (provided with game), so that when you have army, all units seems to be from one army :]

~ mesh - still to simple, still to far from BMP-3 afaik. There is also small hole visible from outside on surface somewhere over driver's seat, visible from certain angles.

~ crew - please, please, do not use own, separate crew. If every addonmaker will use his own crew, then we will waste 30% of avaiable space only for crew models wich is stupid. I understand your crew may be looking nice, but please make model with standard crew (my opinion)

~ Tucha - what is that? You can shoot it both from action menu and weapons menu, but it only makes sound like sniper gun...

~ missile - you have added it both in weapon menu and via action menu. So - it is possible to 'change weapon to missile' via action menu, and then it will be avaiable TWO TIMES in weapon menu. I think that was not planned :]

~ small question... what does this wooden bar do on the side of BMP-3? :]

I will notice other issues later if I found any.

Addon bids fair to be allright, still it needs a lot of job :]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Johann "onn" Bitsoenn @ Feb. 10 2003,09:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Few issues from my betatesting...

~ textures - cannot leave beta stage. another thing is that personally I like when textures in addons ale close to textures used in original OFP units (provided with game), so that when you have army, all units seems to be from one army :]

~ mesh - still to simple, still to far from BMP-3 afaik. There is also small hole visible from outside on surface somewhere over driver's seat, visible from certain angles.

~ crew - please, please, do not use own, separate crew. If every addonmaker will use his own crew, then we will waste 30% of avaiable space only for crew models wich is stupid. I understand your crew may be looking nice, but please make model with standard crew (my opinion)

~ Tucha - what is that? You can shoot it both from action menu and weapons menu, but it only makes sound like sniper gun...

~ missile - you have added it both in weapon menu and via action menu. So - it is possible to 'change weapon to missile' via action menu, and then it will be avaiable TWO TIMES in weapon menu. I think that was not planned :]

~ small question... what does this wooden bar do on the side of BMP-3? :]

I will notice other issues later if I found any.

Addon bids fair to be allright, still it needs a lot of job :]<span id='postcolor'>

I must agree with all of the above smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Johann "onn" Bitsoenn @ Feb. 10 2003,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">~ small question... what does this wooden bar do on the side of BMP-3? :]<span id='postcolor'>

Those are used to help get the vehicle free if it gets stuck somewhere. You will see these on a lot of russian made armor mounted different places.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Feb. 10 2003,18:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Johann "onn" Bitsoenn @ Feb. 10 2003,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">~ small question... what does this wooden bar do on the side of BMP-3? :]<span id='postcolor'>

Those are used to help get the vehicle free if it gets stuck somewhere. You will see these on a lot of russian made armor mounted different places.<span id='postcolor'>

That reminds me that russians has best technologies worldwide :]

BTW one more issue found. Actually, I'd found it by the first time, but forgot to notice about it...

~ front lights halo - visible even while lights are out

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That reminds me that russians has best technologies worldwide :]<span id='postcolor'>

I can give you other sample of this technology :-)

Simple $3 metal fence, covered armor 1 meter above the turret, make it almost immune to any $30000 modern cumulative RPG or LOW hit.

Was first used in second Chechen war, which brings armors losses in city fight literally to 0. :-)

Experience = best military tehnology.

Hehe. I have a lot of respect for Russian military hardware. Very innovative and highly effective for the price. The BMP3 is a good example, as is Kamov's twin rotor design on it's choppers. Also ERA blocks and the Shtora countermeasures system on their tanks. smile.gif

What can i say its sitll 0.6 and ouf , if that was a final version ...

but still, the textures need some work

and WTF is a "tucha" ?? smokegenerator A.K.A laggenerator biggrin.gif

but the model is nice and original smile.gif

and PS : nice sig blackdog , can u make one for me =]

AKM: it is a pity, that this era is beginning to end :((( Just take MiG-1.42 as an example... I do not know what you think about it, but for me... To complicated, to expensive, not enough brilliant... there is something missing in it... some beauty... :'(

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Feb. 10 2003,20:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MiG-1.42 ? i did't know it even exist..<span id='postcolor'>

MiG-1.42; MiG-1.44 (signatures are project numbers, afaik official number has been not published still)

14.jpg

Mig-142(5).jpg

Shema(1).jpg

This may interest some of you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since we were under our full strength during the departure, we were complemented by one more battalion from Novosibirsk. According to the initial plan, we had to complete all preparations by autumn and depart for Tadzhikistan for integrating into the 201st division or some peacekeeping force; anyhow, to fight for God knows what or who. So this battalion arrived on new, experimental BMP-3s. The machine looked great, everything seemed thought of, - however, turned out total shit. Stuffed with electronics like your Lexus, but made in mother Russia. Thus, at first, we coped so much shit from it. It couldn't fire its weapons on the run: equipment failed from vibration. All its sighting systems were electronic, thus totally useless garbage. When it did fire, it couldn't move: something again to do with the damned computer. Well, all in one word, - very crude system and thus terrible. In the third battalion, twenty-four men died in the first quarter of January because of this buggered APC. Terrible statistics, isn't it? All because this unrefined machinery was shipped to the Army, furthermore, to the war zone. About five of them we've lost already. We've moved them off to a safe place and, for now, use as machinegun nests. Although the cannon jams after it fires its first shot. Or as taxi charter in the more or less safe neighbourhoods. I wish those snakes that accepted this weaponry dropped dead.<span id='postcolor'>

Taken from Chechen veteran Cpt. Vyacheslav Mironov's book/novel Assault on Grozny Downtown (it can be downloaded from Lib.ru). No idea how true these words are but it sounds like highly electronised weapon systems aren't very favoured in Chechnya, nothing beats good'ol manual systems biggrin.gif.

Back to topic. Some high quality textures like in AKM74's BMD-3 addon would be good, maybe AKM74 can help Mailman with the textures smile.gif. The smoke launcher would be best to add into addon only as a weapon, thus letting the mission maker decide if he wants to use them with addweapon and addmagazine commands.

On the linedrawing the 1.44 look cool.. but the prototype looks like it was made out of recycled coke cans then painted with a broom..

Remember the XB-70 Valkyrie..

well im glad someone made a BMP3 in .zip form. AKM74's bmp3 is in .rar, whatever that is...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Feb. 10 2003,22:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its been referred to as the MiG-35 / 1.42 Multirole Front-Line Fighter [MFI], not sure if this is official:

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/mfi.htm<span id='postcolor'>

MiG-35 is name used for enhanced version of MiG-29M (izdielije 9-14 and izdielije 9-15) and MiG-29K(Korabielnyj, izdielije 9-31, designed for Admiral Kuznietzow Aircraft Carrier).

List of main changes:

- developed arnament, avionics;

- enhanced range, new engine;

- additionall front steering surfaces;

- steerable thrust vector;

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 10 2003,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well im glad someone made a BMP3 in .zip form. AKM74's bmp3 is in .rar, whatever that is...<span id='postcolor'>

.rar is something equal to .zip, but older :P Everyone who claims that he know what computer is, should know what .rar is, same as .arj or .ace... Feel happy that you do not receive addons in .tar.gz :P

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Feel happy that you do not receive addons in .tar.gz <span id='postcolor'>

gunzip bmp3.tar.gz

tar -xf bmp3.tar

LOL!

Most people prefer zips, and for addons of this size, the compression difference is negligable.

Just be happy it wasn't a @#!*!@# self installer. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 10 2003,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well im glad someone made a BMP3 in .zip form. AKM74's bmp3 is in .rar, whatever that is...<span id='postcolor'>

I always try to upload addons in zip, cause rar can be a bitch sometimes!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bergmania @ Feb. 10 2003,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On the linedrawing the 1.44 look cool.. but the prototype looks like it was made out of recycled coke cans then painted with a broom..

Remember the XB-70 Valkyrie..<span id='postcolor'>

The XB-70 Valkyrie?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif? That was in my opinion one of the most beautiful looking bomber prototypes ever made. It was a truly remarkable aircraft and WAY ahead of its time.

For anyone who has never seen one here's a pic from:

http://www.labiker.org/xb70.html

fade6.jpg

Beautiful aircraft. It was capable of flying up to Mach 3, and the ends of the wings were moveable depending on its speed.

It was canned however for various reasons, but overall it had a fairly good record with only one crash (not bad for an experimental aircraft) and that was due to a stupid mid-air collision with a chase plane.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>