Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDel

Character / Object Random start height

I'm attempting to use markers to have an object in one mission (and a character in another mission) randomly spawn at marker positions using the "set random start" function. However, I can't edit the height of the markers (currently using empty markers). For example, a laptop or HVT spawning in a multiple story building. I searched the forum and found some marker array stuff, which I could not get to work. I'm seeking guidance from the blessed ARMA elders.

Don't use markers. Use a small object placed where you want the item/unit to spawn. Set the object to hidden and simulation disabled.

Or a trigger, or a game logic.

3 hours ago, Harzach said:

Don't use markers. Use a small object placed where you want the item/unit to spawn. Set the object to hidden and simulation disabled.

Or a trigger, or a game logic.

the "set random start" function only works with markers. Can you provide an example so I can explore this option?

Put all of your position objects in an array, select one randomly, then setPos your object/unit.

An abstraction:

_posArray = [obj1, obj2, obj3, obj4, obj5];
_posObj = selectRandom _posArray;
_pos = getPosATL _posObj;
MyHVTUnit setPosATL _pos;

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Put all of your position objects in an array, select one randomly, then setPos your object/unit.

An abstraction:

Works absolutely fine with character model, but I'm getting global error (local variable in global space) for an object (laptop)

The type of vehicle should make absolutely no difference.  How and where are you executing your code?

1 hour ago, Harzach said:

The type of vehicle should make absolutely no difference.  How and where are you executing your code?

In the HVT mission, I have 5 small objects (hidden/ no simulation) labeled as obj1-obj5. The script you provided is in the characters' init. The HVT spawns randomly at all 5 locations.

In the laptop mission, I did the same, and placed the script in the laptops init, which prompts the "local variable in global space" error

Again, what I posted was just an abstraction. If you are using it verbatim in a vehicle init, then you'll want to wrap it in a spawn or call.

nul = [] spawn {
};

• Like 1

For this I use something very small like a small stone.

Place 20 of them on the map and set the height for each one.

Each stone has a name:

stone0

stone1.....

stone19

You are named  blue1

The code is     blue1  setpos   getpos   stone0     and you will start on stone0

Instead of using  0  you  select a number at random  (sorry not at home at present)  

I think Harzach's solution above is another way although I have not tried it.

11 hours ago, Harzach said:

Again, what I posted was just an abstraction. If you are using it verbatim in a vehicle init, then you'll want to wrap it in a spawn or call.

nul = [] spawn {
};

I was so close to achieving that on my own. I missed the brackets after =.