mrvibrating

'Special' unit init field deprecated; automated "in cargo" workaround?

Per title;  back since OFP days you could assign infantry units to begin the mission "in cargo" of ANY available vehicles in their group, WITHOUT having to manually assign specific units to specific vehicles.

So for example lay down a quick convoy comprising some tanks, APC's, trucks and jeeps etc., and then a bunch of infantry each set to be "in cargo", all in the same group:  the mission thus begins AUTOMATICALLY using all available seats, with nobody left on foot (provided there's enough free seats).

So you've no need to know or plan the free seats available... absolving you of the unnecessary minutia when all you want is a quick result.

The BIS specified workaround is to drag and drop groups to vehicles, apparently..  so do i now have to look up how many seats each vehicle has to correctly assign the right numbers of units to specific vehicles?  But i want them to fill ANY available seats in ANY vehicles - for instance, what if their specially-assigned vehicle's destroyed?  The former "in cargo" init took care of all this automatically...

Similarly missing the "in formation" init too..    this is precisely why i gave up Arma for good ol' 1.96 OFP,, the Eden update killed it for me.. 😞   Why remove such backbone functionality?

ref: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T84302

Do you actually want a solution or are you just ranting?  Because this reads like a rant to me.  

As for the actual solution: in eden: click and drag your units onto a vehicle you want them to occupy, all available slots in that vehicle will be filled with said units.  Select the remaining units and drag them onto the next vehicle, they'll fill all the slots in that vehicle.  Repeat until you're out of units.  But you basically already said that in your post.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stanhope said:

Do you actually want a solution or are you just ranting?  Because this reads like a rant to me.  

As for the actual solution: in eden: click and drag your units onto a vehicle you want them to occupy, all available slots in that vehicle will be filled with said units.  Select the remaining units and drag them onto the next vehicle, they'll fill all the slots in that vehicle.  Repeat until you're out of units.  But you basically already said that in your post.  

Are you actually trying to offer a solution or are you just flexing?  Because you don't appear to have read the question..

Like i said, i already know how to assign units to vehicles manually (veteran player).

The "in cargo" special innit setting was automatic.  Furthermore if a passenger-carrying vehicle got destroyed, any survivors would automatically board the next free seat in the group.  Manually assigning units with moveincargo doesn't do this - if an assigned vehicle's destroyed, the occupants will instead just run or crawl alongside the rest of the vehicles, slowing down the group.

And yes oi course i'm annoyed this perfectly-useful functionality's been removed, because it is annoying when that happens, isn't it?  Like many if not most other players, using the 'special' innit settings was a cornerstone of my mission editing technique.  Besides "in cargo" you also had "in formation", which would cause a group to spawn at start already in whatever formation was assigned in their next waypoint or the group's setformation parameter..  the official BIS 'workaround' using the context menu also does not actually restore this lost functionality, only setting the group into an echelon-left formation, regardless of any formation set in the group's waypoint.

After wasting hours on this last night i went and fired up OFP,, and knocked up a nice little APC war with M1A1's and Bradleys vs T80's and BMP's in about half an hour.  That's a classic boilerplate 'quick mission' design for instant action on any map, but to do the same thing in Arma3 seems an exercise in frustration..  it'd be twice as much work, all spent doing stuff that was formerly made redundant by the 'special' unit innit settings.

Look like if i want OFP with a graphics update i should prolly get back into Arma2..