Sign in to follow this  
Xy.

Game crashes ... again

My game crashes a lot theses last few days

mostly Exit code: 0xC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I have pinned down the issue, it is due to an out of memory .

B.I., please do not rely on the pagefile/swapfile WHEN the user/OS has plenty of RAM, on board AND available .

Meaning: my machine has 16GBytes of RAM, the game is almost 10 years old ..so ...

And of course, I monitored the RAM usage while playing, there was plenty of RAM left, and yet the game crashes out of memory !!!

Why ? because I disabled the pagefile/swapfile in the (windows OS)

This is considered as a BUG .

Cheers

• Confused 1

Did you follow the instructions on the pop-up you get after the game crashed?  The ones instructing you to upload 2 files to the feedback hub?  

I do not need to do that, the issue has been pin-pointed .

On many machines, from win7 to win10, with AMD and NVIDIA as GPUs, Intel or AMD as CPUs,  I have seen the same behavior .

This time I was so tired, I forgot to see the swap/page file setting in W$, I cleaned up the PC/W$, reinstalled many versions of the drivers, scanned for viruses, chkdsk , reinstalled steam, recheck game files  ... etc etc

And bam, I remembered that swap/page File detail, and boom, zero crash, playing the whole day without even disconnecting from the Server ... 🙂

The most frequent error message was: resources exhausted .

Have a great day 🙂

P.S.: If the Devs. don't believe me ... they can reproduce my scenario anytime, : Setting page/swap-file to zero in windows aka NoSwap ... (but windows call it pagefile on disk AND creates another little (relatively) file called swapfile ... go figure , M$ Devs are just ... I'll stay polite today ...),

I'll give you my Steam account with my 50 games including Arma3, if I am wrong 😛 .

... If you bet something in return 😉

Cheers

I love this game ... but the graphic engine is getting a little old ... it runs slower than all my latest DX12 & Vulkan games in Ultra settings ...

The feedback tracker, where the popup tells you to upload those files to, is where you report bugs to the dev so they can be added to the backlog for them to be fixed.  You'll have more luck getting said bug fixed if you do that than if you post here.  Also, if you know what the issue is, why are you posting in troubleshooting?  

• Like 1

BI must have thousands on that bug already.

So you solved it by disabling the Windows page file completely, or it was already disabled and you had to turn it back on for Arma 3?  If the former, did you also tell the launcher that you did that or anything?

On 8/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, Pagoda.br said:

There is any good reason for you to have turned Virtual Memory off?

Is there any good reason for Arma 3 to use a paging file when there's plenty of faster RAM available?  There are some very old games that actually require the paging file turned off, and if you have a lot of RAM, it shouldn't be a big deal to do so.

I believe your system can go unstable if you turn off Virtual Memory, even if you have, for example, 128 Gb of ran.