beno_83au

[Release] Sinking Sub

Hello, been sitting on this one for a while now but here it is. This script will allow you to hit and sink the vanilla sub, HMS Proteus. Depending on where it is hit will depend on where it is simulated to start flooding, but will take the position of the last recorded hit when deciding where it "floods".

Download the file MIL_SinkingSub.sqf from DropBox and place it in your mission folder.

This needs to be run on the server and all clients, so to use this just run the below from init.sqf (or remoteExec it everywhere):

nul = [_sub,_hp] execVM "MIL_SinkingSub.sqf";

_sub - the object/sub that needs to be sunk

_hp - (Optional, default 1500) the "hitpoints" assigned to the sub 

Example:

nul = [sub1] execVM "MIL_SinkingSub.sqf";
nul = [superSub,100000] execVM "MIL_SinkingSub.sqf";

This is a table with direct/indirect damage values for the weapons (taken from A-164) as a bit of a guide:

Default - 1500 HP
DAGR - [450,0]
Shrieker AP - [435,0]
Shrieker HE - [210,55]
GBU 12 - [5000,1100]
Guns - [180,4]

And here is a video showing the effect of a sub sinking (this was taken during testing, but results are the same):

The only issue I've come across while using this is with trying to lase the sub for a bomb drop, as the laser goes through the sub and registers the laser on the sea floor. So depending on how you approach, you might end up missing. NOT MY FAULT!!!! 😁 But I am open to suggestions on how to deal with that.

• Like 7

Thanks for the release Beno, glad i pooked you on YT for it, it look great, can't wait to make i diver mission, but how close do you have to be to sink the submarine.

• Like 1

@Play3r Ahhh so that was you 😄 It uses a "HitPart" event handler, so if an explosive/bomb/projectile/etc hits it, the script registers the damage. I'm not what the damage radius is of different ammunition though. Dropping some bombs as varying distances to see what effect it has might be a good little project for me tomorrow.

If you were to sink it with a diver though, you'd probably need another method that allows you to attach a bomb to the sub as this was made with airstrikes/projectile weapons in mind. I know someone did that a while ago, but I just can't remember who it was right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good work!

That could be also a good way for making it move under water... tuning an accurate buoyancy balance.

Off record, submarines have double hull. It's far harder to sink them by air bombing (classic), than dropping torpedoes or grenades. You need to penetrate the pressure hull (hit under sea level) or blow just below the sub with an heavy charge (grenade) literally breaking it.
Back to Arma world, did you try to attach a laser target on it (laserTargetW (so East side) for a west enemy, laserTargetE (so west side) for an east enemy?

• Like 1

Very nice Beno!  I'm disappointed in Millenwise though...he should have gone down with the ship!😀  Also, I would have named Millenwise as Pierre...

I don't know if this is feasible in real life, but if on/near surface, and crew knows sub is sinking, can they abandon ship?  If so, it might be cool to spawn some sailors  at exit hatches scrambling/swimming to safety.  And maybe a leaking oil cloud underwater would be cool as well.  Another idea would be a muted (because inside sub) "abandon ship alarm".   (You know me, always suggesting more work for people!!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, beno_83au said:

@Play3r😄

If you were to sink it with a diver though, you'd probably need another method that allows you to attach a bomb to the sub as this was made with airstrikes/projectile weapons in mind. I know someone did that a while ago, but I just can't remember who it was right now.

Maybe just put a addaction on the sub will do the trick then ?

On 8/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, beno_83au said:

I think i found the script you were talking about, i can see i replied on it in 2019.. 😃

• Like 1