Hello Everyone!

I am bothered the last weeks with an idea but missing the skills and capacities to form it into reality. I know you heard that a lot of times here and I am indeed searching for people who are willing to bring this project to reality because they would love it to be in the game!

As you could read already in the title I would love to have DCS in Arma 3. What does that mean? Well, ArmA delivers a good balance between Sim and casual concerning flight mechanics and since the jet dlc there is quite some potential. Unfortunately most ArmA maps, although already large, lack the seize of an air to air combat map. 

My idea involves the following:

1. Build a map which is big enough with at least two airports at opposite ends. (This is possible also with way beyond reasonable fps looking at maps like "south east Asia"; the importance, I guess, is to keep the prop count low, textures minimal, amongst other stuff)

2. Build a simple MP ready mission where people can fight each other on this map in planes, nothing else than this map as a mod needed, but of course welcomed to build upon this with mods and stuff!

3. Integrate a mission system so there is always something to do and out of these missions dog fights and so evolve.

4. Bring scripts in as view distance, Driving planes backwards, and rearming pylons to your likings.

I know that I might not be the first one having the idea and I also know that most people would just say "learn it and do it". Nevertheless I thought asking doesn't cost anything and perhaps there are some of you out there who already have the skills and like the idea and we could make it come to life together. 

I mean, we could build a solid alternative for DCS with lesser focus on the simulation but the action without getting to casual, because I think Arma delivers it! And it would be free for all those who already own Arma! No new flight game needed, we basically have it within the game, no one woke it really up, yet! 

Also it would close the gap to Arm4 coming out 2044 a bit, delivering a new way to enjoy and experience the game.

I am open for any suggestions, help, information or critics. Perhaps something like this is already in development and I haven't found it (South East Asia doe lacks the two airports at the end of the map and I tried to build them in the editor afterwards, which was not really working...). At least I wanted his idea to be out there in this amazing community, even if no-one is at first answering or interested.

Thank you all and have a nice day!

Check out PMC tactical maps, theres few pretty huge ones that work for flying.

Other than that, fly maps have problems with lack of ground detail (terrain engine limits) and coordinate precision caused lagging in big maps. Both which are why such maps are rarely made and why Arma is not really a flight sim. 

You can test what is possible with the PMC maps.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the advice!

I know that the map I needed would be different to those which you play as an infantry soldier. The prop count would be minimalistic, a desert would suit best for that I guess. Also the texture of the terrain would be more simplistic. But all of that doesn't matter anyway if you fly up on 1-5k meters. Have you ever tried "South East Asia" the map? Even with very high visibility I get over 100 fps steady. So it is possible, I am sure!

I will definitely check out the mod you mentioned!

Thanks a lot for contributing!

The problem, which underminds the biggest advantage of this game, is that such huge terrains have problems mentioned by HorribleGoat - lack of precision of coordinates. It causes lags and stutters, even during SP sessions. If you will spawn some object eg. a carrier in the right-hand up corner on such large terrain, it's stuttering (moving eradically) by a few meters frequently during your attempts to land,. For ground troop players such stuttering is unplayable,that was tested. 

I see! Very interesting and I problem I didn't knew before. Super sad. and what is about fixed airstrips and just desert in between? I mean I guess you all know the map south east Asia. Its by far the biggest terrain I'ver played so far. And I also played Sp Missions on it. They worked fine and interestingly its a map I have more fps than on any other map. Moreover the mission should be a plane only mission. No infantry or ground troops gameplay at all. Do you still think this would be undoable? I really would love something like that to happen and I would love nothing untried

My game crashes when I try to use the South Asia terrain. It is too big, 400 sq KM is the max in Arma 3. Just play DCS if you want a Flight Sim. The RV 4 engine cannot really handle such huge maps.