Sign in to follow this  
h4wek

limit of helicopter climb speed in non RTD mode

Is any chance to add config value for helicopter (non RTD mode) climb speed limit or calculating this speed depend on power of engine and mass and speed? Actual simulation in non RTD mode cause the whole helis to climb  with speed 10m/s what is so unrealistic  (a specially that AI use only non RTD mode and for bigger helis).

Of course we can add velocity or add force scripts to model (but it not work well on MP,  with core implemented functionality it would be more optimalised. In this feature should be included actual mass of heli  (with cargo for example - or should be divided vehicle mass and cargo mass beacouse adding mass to vehicle not cause that it can't start from ground for exmaple  - if  we load to cargo for exmaple 30 soldiers or vehicle it should act on speed of climbing or even on possibility of take off) beacouse AI not using RTD mode it should be implemented in standard mode to make better effect - when you observe how start and act AI on different vehicles you will see the difference.

The way of turning heli around center of main rotor (when is in hoover state)  is also wrong (I try to change mass center but it not help) the big helis act in wrong way it twisting on sides too much when turning left or right. 

When both of those abilities correctly included for wheel geared helis will be also possibile to take off like planes, with runway take of speed on begining (AI should decide if they can use runway like planes for it if cargo is too havy for normal vertical start). This even with scripts is not possibile to do now beacouse not exist any command to override manually by script for example AI driving on vehicle (setdriveonpath not work with Air units - even if they stay on ground and even on ground vehicles it not work correctly).

Everything you have mentioned is already in the Advanced Flight Model and available for tweaking. I see no reason (from a commercial or modding point of view) to create alternate AFM mode in the standard flight model if there is one that works for players exactly in the way you need. The obvious problem is AI lack of ability to fly AFM, but do you really expect the AIs to fly like the man does? Have you ever seen them DRIVING or WALKING/RUNNING that way in ARMA3? You have clearly unrealistic expectations towards this game and its engine.
Just my two cents.  

You have right - AI using fully AFM is not needed but some of those limitations  like this climb speed should affect on AI model of flight and should be valid in non AFM mode too for players - if littlebird act like huron during climbing or transporting cargo it looks silly. This abiity of limit those physic parameters in non AFMmode would be great for improove feeling of simiulation in game, i post this due to observation how AI act on big helis and way of climbing is so unrealistic that it looks funny.

Other way description of RTD parameters and how use them (examples) is so general that is very hard to make it correctly for specific vehicle - every parameter must be checked by (change/try method to be sure what for is).

On 12/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, h4wek said:

You have right - AI using fully AFM is not needed but some of those limitations  like this climb speed should affect on AI model of flight

AI doesn't even land a helicopter correctly. Approaching a landing spot is correct more or less but landing vertically from 30m AGL while drifting back? IRL it would be really like asking for a mishap or crash. Someone had to have pedaling to the back while writing this code ;)

On 12/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, h4wek said:

Other way description of RTD parameters and how use them (examples) is so general that is very hard to make it correctly for specific vehicle - every parameter must be checked by (change/try method to be sure what for is).

Yeah, welcome to the AFM modding. That's why there are not many modders who know this thing. No worries, you'll be fine after a few months or a year or so ;) Also honestly, I haven't seen too many pilots flying AFM so even if you make mistakes in the configuration, there's a great chance you won't be caught red-handed ;)

Bull Eye - not many players using AFM - that why some general parameters shuld be implemented in non AFM model. BTW using climb limitation is mainly for players not AI - game is more unrealistic without this limit when players flight for example with cargo to fight zone - too slow too long and is too late - when every heli act the same it is not fun it is not simulation of battlefield it is like any other shooters - i write about this limit beacouse it not cost additional CPU usage or MP traffic and make improove of game .

3 hours ago, h4wek said:

using climb limitation is mainly for players not AI

Whoever wants to fly realistically, can use AFM. It takes into account a payload's weight affecting both climb and cruise speed (among other things). Again, I see no reason to mix both systems for players. I mean, man - what's the reason for attempts to make BFM more AFM'sh? I am also quite curious why people rarely fly AFM and choose BFM instead. It's like having all the improvements in a soldier's stances incorporated into an avatar behavior (are there 16 of them? they are more tactic and looking realistically) but players reject the improvements in favor of those 3 stances from A2 times. I don't understand that, really.
When it comes to AI - yeah it would use some improvements but I see a slim chance it's gonna happen.