Sister_Sara

my arma3 uses a lot of video memory on RX6800XT

Hello
After I replaced a new GPU (AMD 6800XT), my video memory occupancy appeared abnormally high. In the case of only running ARMA3, the GPU memory occupancy will start from about 4G as the game time increases. Gradually increase, usually, a server with more people will gradually increase the GPU memory usage from 4G to 16G within 2-3 hours (the maximum memory of 6800xt is 16g), and cause the game to crash, while in single player mode this It will take a little longer but it will still cause a crash, which did not happen when using AMD 5700XT before

(Recently, the maximum video memory usage before the crash seems to have become 13G or lower. When the video memory usage reaches a certain value, the game will directly lose response and there will be no crash error as usual, and no error file will be generated. I can only use The task manager ends the process, and the error code shows 0x00000001 UNABLE_TO_INIT_DXGI) Even if I don’t load any mods or plugins, a crash will occur.

In order to solve this problem, I tried to limit the maximum memory to 12G and the maximum video memory to 8G in the game launcher, but it seems that this limit does not work. Adjust the texture to the lowest value and then adjust it back to temporarily reset the video memory usage. Is a normal lower state, but it will continue to increase
This kind of problem becomes very serious in TANOA, but it is slightly better in other maps.

If I run around everywhere on the map, the crash will happen faster, and it won’t happen when I stay in one place.

My pc:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi
Memory: Essencore KD4AGU880-32A160T 16 GB 3200mhz X2
Graphics: XFX Speedster RX 6800 XT MERC319
System: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042.1110 (Win10 20H2 October 2020 Update)
C10210910 2020 更新)

In addition, I tried replacing the cpu with another 3800x and a 3600x, replacing the motherboard with (MSI)MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WiFi, and replacing the memory with another set of 8x2 3200mhz memory sticks of the same manufacturer, but this problem was not solved.

I want to know if you have heard of other people having this situation? Because my hardware performs well when running other games, and this problem is not very likely to be caused by AMD’s infamous graphics driver, I have tried all drivers from 20.11.2 to 21.6.2. This kind of video memory The abnormal increase in occupancy only occurs in arma3

Is there any way to solve the problem completely?

Thank you for your answer, and hope you can forgive the incompatibility in my sentence, my English is not good, so I use Google Translate

I have a MSI 6800XT and have never had this problem, sp or mp.

Maybe its your brand of card?

total AMD system too 5800x and 32gb ram.

I'd recommend that you check the integrity of the install, just in case something corrupted.

I think by default, video drivers will cache and load up as MUCH as possible into video ram to prevent stuttering and improve response time accessing video assets.

For your crashing issue, are you sure you are running in 64-Bit mode so the Windows OS can manage memory properly? Most crashing is due to memory management, or overheating of CPU/GPU due to OC or summer times, or bad drivers.

You can try to set ARMA to use 64-bit if you have not already by reading the last few posts here:

In fact, my arma3 has been running automatically on 64-bit, and I have tried many times to verify the integrity of the game. I even reinstalled Windows 10 several times, and there is no change. The memory usage is still abnormal. This is too strange.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion

Situation update:
I contacted the after-sales staff of my graphics card and they replaced me with a new card, but they didn’t tell me if the previous card was malfunctioning.
After replacing the new graphics card, the problem was solved, and it seems that the graphics card hardware faulty.

Just now, Sister_Sara said:

Situation update:
I contacted the after-sales staff of my graphics card and they replaced me with a new card, but they didn’t tell me if the previous card was malfunctioning.
After replacing the new graphics card, the problem was solved, and it seems that the graphics card hardware faulty.

But "the problem is solved" is just that my game will not crash after the video memory is fully occupied. In fact, the video memory usage will still be abnormally increased to the maximum value (for my graphics card, this value is 16GB)

The entire failure seemed very strange. While waiting for the after-sales staff to send a new card, I replaced a spare GTX1060 3G, and encountered abnormal system instability after installing the nvidia driver.
Then I uninstalled the driver of amd and nvidia and reinstalled the driver of nvidia, and used gtx1060 for half a month.
After getting the new graphics card, I installed the 21.8.2 version instead of the previous 21.6.1 version driver
I still suspect that this is a software failure rather than a hardware. I hope my troubleshooting experience can provide some help to people who also encounter this problem.

2 hours ago, Sister_Sara said:

I still suspect that this is a software failure rather than a hardware.

That may very well be the case. I've had some major issues, including BSODs, with post 20H2 versions of Windows 10 and DCH Nvidia drivers that were forcefully installed via windows update regardless of settings.

Then I uninstalled the driver of amd and nvidia and reinstalled the driver of nvidia, and used gtx1060 for half a month.

And then it was fine and did you use DDU?

After getting the new graphics card, I installed the 21.8.2 version instead of the previous 21.6.1 version driver

And now everything is A-OK?

On 2021/9/14 at PM3点03分, Janez said:

很可能就是这种情况。我遇到了一些重大问题,包括 BSOD,Windows 10 和 DCH Nvidia 驱动程序的 20H2 版本后,无论设置如何,这些驱动程序都是通过 Windows 更新强制安装的。

然后就没事了,你用过DDU吗?

现在一切都好了吗?

Yes, now arma3 basically works normally on my computer
The problem is half solved
Now it will still take up all of my video memory, but the game will not crash after running out of video memory, and the fps will not decrease. The maximum video memory usage is a strange number of 16073MB.
The speed of the increase in video memory usage is also lower than before. I am not sure that it is caused by the GPU driver or hardware. Now I need a long time to use up my 16GB video memory. Usually, before I use up all the video memory, a Bugs caused by Chinese input software will crash the game
(0xC0000005-STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION, I know this bug is almost impossible to fix at present)
So for me this problem is almost solved, at least I don’t encounter it anymore

I use DDU every time I change a new version of the graphics card driver, but it doesn’t help to solve the problem.

On 2021/9/27 at AM2点37分, Reticuli said:

大多数人抱怨 Arma 3 没有充分利用 VRAM。

Yes, a game like arma3 should not use 16GB of video memory at 2560*1440 resolution, which is obviously abnormal

Kind of beating a dead horse, but I'm having a similar issue. I'm playing on an i7 12700K, AMD 6600XT and 16 Gb of RAM. VRAM utilization will go all the way to my card's capacity, but then, instead of crashes, I start getting the worst stuttering. Just pauses, that last anywhere between 0.25-1.25s, and the VRAM usage jumps between 7800-8100Mb.

Possibly a driver issue?