johnnyboy

Detect Napalm strike position and direction

Calling in Prairie Fire napalm strikes is great fun and the long oval area that goes up in flames looks great. But after the strike there is no damage to the jungle.

Via scripts, can we detect the position and direction of the napalm hit?  If so, we could then script replacing large trees with burnt tree objects, set buildings on fire, add scorched craters to the ground, and scatter small fires and smoke in the area.  You all know we want this dammit, so lets make it happen! :smiley-evil:

This would also be important for the large bombs to clear the jungle and add craters.

• Like 1

Yes.

Try something like :

0 = [] spawn {
  while {true} do {
    waitUntil {!isNull (uiNamespace getVariable ["vn_artillery_display",displayNull])};
    hint "waiting...";
    waitUntil {isNull (uiNamespace getVariable ["vn_artillery_display",displayNull])};
    if (!isnil "vn_artillery_map_selecting_end") then {
      private _dir = vn_artillery_map_selecting_end getDir vn_artillery_map_selecting_start;
      private _position = vn_artillery_map_selecting_start getPos [30*1.5, _dir];
      hint str [_position,_dir];
    };
  };
};

That's basic. Find in function viewer more parameters, if you need, inside functions starting with:  artillery_

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@johnnyboy have you any progress in this?

I use a napalm strike script and (it's different from official napalm strike, so I could not use your solution directly), but I like to "steal" that part what replace the green trees to burned one.

6 hours ago, bardosy said:

I use a napalm strike script and (it's different from official napalm strike, so I could not use your solution directly), but I like to "steal" that part what replace the green trees to burned one.

You can use something like:  allMissionObjects "#crater" select {_x inArea anArea};   in due time, right place.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bardosy said:

I haven't had time to do this yet.  And I may not get to it for a few weeks.  But thanks to @pierremgi pointing out the vn air support scripts, this should be not too hard to do.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:22 AM, bardosy said:

Hey Bardosy, I finished my napalm script.  Get it here:

• Thanks 1