First I am sorry, if this seems obvious. I literally just started playing today. I got killed without firing one shot and lost my loadout. Now I have no weapons and not enough materials to craft more. Do I join an encounter without weapons and try to survive by hiding and get to extraction with whatever loot I have? is that how it works?

Unfortunately, yes, however what is your PSN username? Mine is UNLOGICLESS, I'll probably be on tonight, I'll guide you, only deal is you listen to me, I'll make sure you'll get loot.

Greetings from New Zealand! 

Nahh this is easy man dont listen to this wannabe pro. This game is meant to play slowly you start with the basic handcannon you really need to pick your fight for the beginning finish the challenges upgrade your base you get acces to better weapons, learn and get a better feeling of the game use the shooting range to learn how these Guns play cuz trust me this game is not the same and does not play the same as any other fps games. Focus on materials first and when you het better at killing People start going for crates. This is not a easy to pick up  fps game