Sign in to follow this  
Dadster

Ofp crashes and reboots computer

I recently upgraded my computer and since I hadn't been able to play the single player mission C02:  Battlefields I went back to try.  Several times now I've had the mission crash and reboot my computer.  Prior to this I'd had absolutely no problems with OFP.  The computer has been running flawlessly for about a month now and I've had absolutely zero problems with any programs or games prior to this.  I have not tried any other missions since upgrading the system.  Any help here?  Thanks.   confused.gif

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SB Live! Audio [DF80]

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys

Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0244 (English)

Dadster

hmmmm you upgraded........After i upgraded my system from a duron800 and GeForce2MX to an AthlonXP and GeForce4Ti i found my system became unstable in tough missions (sound lockups esp.) my old 250W power supply could not cope.

I got a 400W power supply and now my computer is instantly super stable!

I have an Intel 850E chipset, the latest nvidia drivers 41.09, and a 300W power supply.

Dadster

Go into Control Panel - > System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recover and turn off the automatic restart when a Blue Screen occurrs -- that way you should be able to figure out what is causing the crash.

Guest BratZ

And with the latest OFP patches there were also some mission patches released.

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware and then updated the drivers again and don't seem to have the problem any longer. I think there may have been a problem with the initial installed of the video card. For the moment, all appears well. smile.gif

Dadster

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Feb. 10 2003,00:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Go into Control Panel - > System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recover and turn off the automatic restart when a Blue Screen occurrs -- that way you should be able to figure out what is causing the crash.<span id='postcolor'>

Can we get a little sticky with tips like this, the ones that come up time and time again?

Edit : I know about Avon's FAQ, but still... wink.gif

Actually, this problem is not solved as I just go it again. This is what the blue screen says:

driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal 'blue screen'

That's the error I'm getting. Anyone seen this one before?

Dadster

Are you overclocking your video card? I used to get that on occasion when I was being overly aggressive.

No, I'm not. I've been researching it and apparently it's a common but not necessarily that easy problem to resolve. At least unless you understand the system extremely well. There are several Microsoft articles on it. Here's a basic explanation of the cause:

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.

IRQL at time of reference.

Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).

Address that referenced memory.

Resolving the Problem

For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

That's just part of it. Actually I think everything was working fine until I installed the Windows Media Player update (see the DVD playback reference above). Not sure if that could have anything to do with it or not, because I really don't remember exactly when I first started seeing the problem and when I did the update.

Dadster

FYI, it turned out to be a disk problem that was fixed by running chkdsk /r after booting from the CD-ROM drive. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tarkus

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 11 2003,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just see the word IRQ and "shared IRQs" come to mind. Any possibility that's the problem? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, Avon Lady you win the trophy! Although I had thought I had the problem resolved that was not the case. At it's worst I had been getting four or five random STOP messages. To resolve this I had tried the following:

Run chkdsk /r 3 times

Uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers

Downloaded and run a RAM checker

Downloaded and run a HD checker

Updated the BIOS

Updated the mb drivers

Reinstalled Windows XP Pro (without a format)

Reinstalled critical updates

None of this worked. Finally someone suggested moving the sound card slot and reinstalling those drivers. Well, I called Creative to figure out how to do a clean uninstall and get rid of everything. While looking into this I discovered the problem. My motherboard comes with an onboard sound card that the store had never disabled. Turned out both this device and the Soundblaster Live card were both installed and both shared the same IRQ. Well, after going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard sound card it appears as though the problem has finally been resolved.

As per Avon Lady's comment I had checked the IRQs but somehow missed this glaring issue. So Avon Lady. Kudos to you, you had it right! biggrin.gif

Dadster

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dadster @ Feb. 16 2003,07:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So Avon Lady.  Kudos to you, you had it right!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry. I didn't catch your billing address.

tounge.gifwink.gif

Your problem is almost certainly a to small a power supply, i had this prob also, bought a new psu and it went away.

Avon Lady, sorry. I have to ask for my money back. The problem is still there and it's really starting to you know what. Thanks anyway.

Dadster

In case anyone is interested I had to replace my Creative Soundblaster Live audio card to solve this problem.  I not have a Hercules Fortissimo III and not only does it sound great, I get no more blue screens. biggrin.gif

Dadster

Lo dadster i had exact same probs with my upgrade, went from duron 750/vd3/128 and slipped it all in the same case with 300w psu and had identical probs, pooter would just reboot no erss or mssgs, just phut goodbye. I bought a 435w psu and it never happened again.The xp1700 and k7s5a mobo and my gf2gts just needed more juice.