Chipmunk Poison

Constant unplayable FPS

I haven't played Arma for about a month, and came back yesterday to try to play MP, but my FPS was basically locked at 7. In the main menu, the fps will rarely go above 32, which is not at all affected by changing graphics settings. This is unusual, as I can usually get around 45-60 fps in MP and singleplayer. I tried playing a campaign too, but it also was stuck around 20fps, and would freeze anytime I looked around. Another problem that occurs is that it takes significantly longer to load into servers than it did before, and when I join the server I usually play on, the "client setup" procedure that shows a black screen takes a lot longer than usual. Also curious is that when I press alt f4 my game doesn't close, my controls lock and I can't look around, but things around me are at a stable FPS. The game will eventually close after pressing alt f4 a couple times.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI B450M DS3H

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 6 core

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHZ

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB

Things I've tried that made no difference:

• changing the drive that Arma is located on from my SSD to HDD.
  • Changing page file on HDD to be system managed (Fixed a different issue with another game).
  • Uninstalling Radeon Software.
  • Changing Radeon Software profiles and settings, turning every enhancement off and on.
  • Changing launch parameters to use 6GB Ram, 6GB VRAM, 12 logical processors/cores/threads (I'm not sure what they're called but it's double the amount of cores I have which is 6).
  • Changing memory allocator to default, and system. 
  • Overclocking RAM in BIOS.
  • Changing GPU and CPU to be auto OCed by Radeon.
  • Changing Arma's priority to above normal.
  • Changing graphics settings, basically no difference between low and ultra.
  • Reinstalling.
  • Unsubscribing from workshop content.
  • Autodetecting video settings.
  • Changing resolution.
  • Changing from windowed to windowed fullscreen to fullscreen.
  • Turning on and off basically every visual setting.

At this point I'm honestly stumped. It seems like there's a bottleneck somewhere, but when I play the game task manager shows normal resource usage. I'd appreciate some help troubleshooting, as I feel this issue is probably hardware related, or has to do with some incompatibility somewhere. 

It's not you, it's Bohemia's refusal to actually optimize the game for modern-day gaming PCs. It's f'n ridiculous that this game has been out for so long and absolutely nothing has been done to make it function properly. OH,  but please buy more DLCs they keep pumping out.

14 hours ago, Yuck Jacuzzi said:

It's not you, it's Bohemia's refusal to actually optimize the game for modern-day gaming PCs. It's f'n ridiculous that this game has been out for so long and absolutely nothing has been done to make it function properly. OH,  but please buy more DLCs they keep pumping out.

I agree with the sentiment, but in my case my game functioned perfectly fine until it didn't. I never got as much fps as I would have liked, but right now the game is completely unplayable. It could be the recent update, but I think it's probably got more to do with outside software or hardware.

• Like 1

I used to get similar problems with the earlier games in the ArmA series going back as far as the original OFP if I hadn';t updated my GFX Card drivers for a while. One day out of the blue I'd get random graphical artefacts and weird triangular stretching across my screen as well as a massive hit to FPS (and back then OFP wasn't exactly the most demanding of games). These issues would resolve themselves upon updating my drivers. I couldn't see that as a method you had tried so maybe that is worth a shot. If they're up to date then maybe try rolling them back to a version that worked (i.e. before the issue started).

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, Jackal326 said:

I used to get similar problems with the earlier games in the ArmA series going back as far as the original OFP if I hadn';t updated my GFX Card drivers for a while. One day out of the blue I'd get random graphical artefacts and weird triangular stretching across my screen as well as a massive hit to FPS (and back then OFP wasn't exactly the most demanding of games). These issues would resolve themselves upon updating my drivers. I couldn't see that as a method you had tried so maybe that is worth a shot. If they're up to date then maybe try rolling them back to a version that worked (i.e. before the issue started).

I did try rolling back my drivers but no luck, a new driver update for my gpu came out yesterday though, and it seems to have helped a bit. What I'm noticing now is that my game lags when I turn around or move my mouse a lot. It'll run slowly for a moment, then be fine until I turn a different way. I assume this is due to an issue with loading textures, so I'm trying to find out what's causing the loading issues.

If anyone encounters this issue in the future, it was eventually solved by disabling xbox game bar and windows game mode. Took an annoying amount of time to solve, but eventually I found one comment on a thread that turned out to be the fix. 

UPDATE: It wasn't the game bar, it was a controller I had plugged in. Somehow the dualshock 3 controller I had plugged in for a ps3 emulator was causing extremely low fps. I unplugged it and it instantly went back to normal.

Edited by Chipmunk Poison
  • Like 4