thirith

Changed my server PC, now ping's through the roof

Because my old server PC recently died on me, I got a new one. It's a better machine, but the way it connects to my router is still the same, i.e. via wifi. However, for some reason the ping I'm getting on the new PC is dreadful, somewhere around 250-300ms. (If I connect directly, via wifi-internal IP, I get pings of 5-10ms.)

Here are the things I can think of that have changed:

• New PC
  • Different wifi modem (before it was a USB modem, now I have a mainboard that is wifi-capable)
  • I used TADST before, now I'm using FASTER, and accordingly I'd expect that the performance settings differ, as I'm not changing them manually

What hasn't changed (as far as I know):

• The router settings
  • The ports I've forwarded (I've just switched them to the new PC)
  • The overall setup: mods, missions etc.

When I do a speed test on my internet connection, I get much lower pings, but when I launch an Arma 3 server, I get the aforementioned 250+ ms pings.

Any idea what could cause this? And any suggestions what I could do to improve the ping? It's okay for me, since I can connect within the WLAN, but I'd want the people I play with to have a reasonably good experience too.

Did you set your PC to use the 5GHZ WIFI channel? Leave the 2.4 GHZ for older and slower devices, like guests who show up to your house. Also the adjust the antenna positions of your new PC. It makes a huge difference in terms of bandwidth and possible latency. Lastly check your onboard WIFI is going through a 1Gbps port or has PCIE lanes. It could be the onboard WIFI is connected to a slower bus hence higher response time.

I get weary of onboard components unless they are not too bandwidth intensive as you need to understand what the interconnect between those chipsets to the CPU are.

• Like 1

I ordered a USB 3.0 modem that should give me faster, more stable access to the 5GHz WiFi channel, which the onboard solution couldn’t find. Here’s hoping it’ll improve things.

Hope it fixes it for you. Worst case, run a CAT5E cable from your router to your location with the game PC. CAT5E supports up to 1 Gbps before you need a 10Gbps cable. Don't go cheap on this to reduce your latency as much as possible inside your home. It should be about 10 - 12 USD or Euros for about 10-15 meters.

We had our first session on the new server yesterday, via the new WiFi adapter, and the pings were between 30 and 50. Except for the guy in Australia, but I’m not sure my connection will help much with this. I think that’s reasonably okay, but I’ll definitely keep in mind your tips, Valken.