Reverend Andy

Init scripting, If one thing spawns then another wont spawn.

I'm making an Eden mission where I have 3 compositions which I am going to place copies of each around the map, I want each type of composition to spawn a key feature for only one of the copies. 
Ex. A flag randomly spawns in only one copy of a base and not the others.
As far as randomizing item spawns I am currently using the "Object: present" slider but I'm open to any ideas on how to do that better as well. 
1 Item is a prop, 1 is a unit, 1 is a vehicle. 

I'm so sorry that this reads like a homework question but I've been smashing my head into the wall for a few days trying to get this to work and I can't seem to figure it out.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Reverend Andy said:

I'm making an Eden mission where I have 3 compositions which I am going to place copies of each around the map, I want each type of composition to spawn a key feature for only one of the copies. 
Ex. A flag randomly spawns in only one copy of a base and not the others.
As far as randomizing item spawns I am currently using the "Object: present" slider but I'm open to any ideas on how to do that better as well. 
1 Item is a prop, 1 is a unit, 1 is a vehicle. 

I'm so sorry that this reads like a homework question but I've been smashing my head into the wall for a few days trying to get this to work and I can't seem to figure it out.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

Hello, Welcome to the forums! I can help you😎 What you are trying to achieve can't be done 100% with only editor tools. You MUST use script to get your desired affect. I, of course, will give you instructions and an example script that you can copy/pasta into you mission file. Make sure to click the LINKS , they have all the information you need.

You must create an array(3) of possible spawn locations, to choose a location at random for each of your objects spawn positions. Here is how:

You have 3 different compositions and you will be placing multiples of each around the map. In each of your 3 compositions, add an invisible helipad in the exact position you wish your randomized object to spawn. Name each of these invisible helipads with a specific variable name that correlates to its respective composition. 

Examples:

-the first compositions invisible helipad is named  "CompositionA_1",

-the second compositions invisible helipad is named  "CompositionB_1",

-the third compositions invisible helipad is named "CompositionC_1".

When you place multiples of variables that end in and underscore+number (EXAMPLE: CompositionA_1), for each copy of that object, the copy's variable name will be updated in a numerically sequential order (CompositionA_1,CompositionA_2,CompositionA_3....and so on).

After you have placed all of your compositions on the map. Add all the variable names of the invisible helipads to 3 arrays (Example below), and use the command selectRandom. Then use the selectRandom array _handle in the position parameter of the createVehicle command to create your objects. Get all that!? 🤓 Don't worry. Here's the example you can copy/pasta into your missions init.sqf (or initServer.sqf)

init.sqf (SinglePlayer) OR initServer.sqf (Multiplayer)

_randomSpawnPos_1 = selectRandom [CompositionA_1, CompositionA_2, CompositionA_3];
_object_1 = createVehicle ["<yourObjectClassname>", _randomSpawnPos_1, [], 0, "FORM"];

_randomSpawnPos_2 = selectRandom [CompositionB_1, CompositionB_2, CompositionB_3];
_object_2 = createVehicle ["<yourObjectClassname>", _randomSpawnPos_2, [], 0, "FORM"];

_randomSpawnPos_3 = selectRandom [CompositionC_1, CompositionC_2, CompositionC_3];
_object_3 = createVehicle ["<yourObjectClassname>", _randomSpawnPos_3, [], 0, "FORM"];

Please ask all the questions. We are happy to help!

• Like 1

There are always multiple ways to achive such things.

Another way would be without Helipads. You can just place all key features in editor and then delete all but a random one of it:

//create arrays with variable names of all objects
private _all_props = [prop1, prop2, prop3];
private _all_units = [unit1, unit2, unit3];
private _all_vehicles = [vec1, vec2, vec3];

//randomly select one object of each object type
private _left_over_prop = selectRandom _all_props;
private _left_over_unit = selectRandom _all_units;
private _left_over_vec = selectRandom _all_vehicles;

// get the inexes of the left over objects in their array
private _index_prop = _all_props findIf { _left_over_prop is EqualTo _x };
private _index_unit = _all_units findIf { _left_over_unit is EqualTo _x };
private _index_vec = _all_vecs findIf { _left_over_vec is EqualTo _x };

// delete the random selected object from their arrays
private _dummy = _all_props deleteAt _index_prop;
_dummy = _all_units deleteAt _index_unit;
_dummy = _all_vecs deleteAt _index_vec;

//merge the arrays
_all_props append _all_units;
_all_props append _all_vecs;

// delete all objects which are in the merged array yet

{ deleteVehicle _x; } count _all_props;

looks like a big thing but can be simplified a bit:

//create arrays with variable names of all objects
private _all_props = [prop1, prop2, prop3];
private _all_units = [unit1, unit2, unit3];
private _all_vehicles = [vec1, vec2, vec3];

//randomly select one object of each object type
private _left_over_prop = selectRandom _all_props;
private _left_over_unit = selectRandom _all_units;
private _left_over_vec = selectRandom _all_vehicles;

// delete the random selected objects from their arrays
private _dummy = _all_props deleteAt _all_props findIf { _left_over_prop is EqualTo _x };
_dummy = _all_units deleteAt _all_units findIf { _left_over_unit is EqualTo _x };
_dummy = _all_vecs deleteAt _all_vecs findIf { _left_over_vec is EqualTo _x };

// merge the arrays into _all_props
_all_props append _all_units;
_all_props append _all_vecs;

// delete all objects which are in the merged array yet
{ deleteVehicle _x; } count _all_props;

put in initServer.sqf ( no matter if Single- or Multiplayer ) in your missions root folder.