Sign in to follow this  
Shashman

Capturing a hill

Hi all...

I'm working on a big Nam coop, where the aim of the mission is for 3 Army squads to get to the top of a hill held by NVA. I'm relatively new to mission making, and I thought I had most of it figured out, when I encountered a problem with my map : I have made the win trigger a 5m one around a flag that is in the centre of the NVA camp on the top of the hill. This trigger is activated by ,and here's the problem, any West unit...This means that instead of dropping off the infantry at the LZ at the bottom of the hill, the chopper could just fly above the trigger and win the game...Kinda defeating the point of the mission which is to FIGHT for the hill.So my question is : How do I make it so that the trigger is only activated by the infantry and not by a chopper? I thought of grouping the trigger and the infantry so that it's only activated by that group, but the problem is that there are three inf. squads...

Any help would be hugely appreciated  smile.gif  biggrin.gif

I've often had the exact same problem. As far as I know (which doesn't mean a whole lot), there's no way to get around this. I eagerly await the replies of other editors; maybe we can get this figured out.

You can control if the unit isn't in any vehicles like this :

activation : this && ((_thislist select 0) == vehicle (_thislist select 0))

I don't know if it works, try !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MaxPower @ Feb. 09 2003,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can control if the unit isn't in any vehicles like this :

I don't know if it works, try !<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can control if the unit isn't in any vehicles like this :

I don't know if it works, try !<span id='postcolor'>

confused.gif Heh...thanks for the reply but as I said, I'm relatively new to mission editing so could you please explain what you mean by this?

Cheers  wink.gif  smile.gif

crazy.gif

LOL! As you can see I'm pretty new to using forums too.Heh! tounge.gif

Is that chopper AI controlled ?

If so just put a countdown from 10 seconds in the trigger.

An AI unit isnt going to hoover above a 5m trigger long enough to set it of.

If not, in those cases i usually put in a second condition in that trigger before you can set it of. Like a certain unit that has to be dead or something like that. Something the chopper cant really handle easily.

In the oncondition field of the trigger you put

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this AND "secondcondition"<span id='postcolor'>

Cheers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ Feb. 08 2003,20:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do I make it so that the trigger is only activated by the infantry and not by a chopper?<span id='postcolor'>

Another way :

condition of that trigger

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

{"man" countType [_x]>0} count thislist >0

<span id='postcolor'>

Cheers for the replies guys! wink.gif

Jap : No the choppers are not AI controlled. And BartJan could you explain a bit what you are suggesting I do?Thanks

Put Bart.Jan's script in the init. line of the trigger, and it will check the area of the trigger (count thislist) to see if there are any units of a specific type(count type) in there. I'm not at home right now, so I can't say for sure if that code section will actually work, mind...

A more general way of doing it is to replace "man" with "vehicle_ground" (I think), and it'll check for any ground vehicle- Men, Jeeps, Tanks, Motorbikes, etc..

It's what I used for my AP mine triggers. You might want to check out the command reference for the specific unit type trees, though.

When there are several groups working off the same condition

You need to decouple the process

Use three identical triggers one for each squad all have the same condition any member of their group present; all have the same on Activation capturedhill = true or some such

Have a fourth trigger that has in its condition field capturedhill and whatever you want to happen.

Kind Regards walker

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ Feb. 09 2003,20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And BartJan could you explain a bit what you are suggesting I do?Thanks<span id='postcolor'>

It's condition of trigger that you want to use (use it instead of default condition this).

If you want trigger that is activated by any ground unit (men,car,tank) just use this condition of that trigger :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

{"land" countType [_x]>0} count thislist >0

<span id='postcolor'>