anthony weston

Matchmaking is frustrating. Still.

Let me start off by saying, this is a great game. 

It’s easy to get into, it’s got a fun progression system (although terribly grindy for a lot of people I’ve spoken to), and the combat and risk/reward is compelling. 

However, I just started playing yesterday and was having a great time playing with people my “level” or to be more specific, newer players like myself who didn’t have a ton of hours and titles that stated 1000s of kills.

I was having to play strategically, sometimes aggressive, and sometimes I had to just high tail it out of a bad situation. 

I’ve only played solo so far though, and I’ve got about 30 kills now. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience, until all of a sudden I’m constantly being thrown into games with people who have hundreds or thousands of kills, know the maps inside and out, and have plenty of tools at their disposal that the know exactly how to use. 

I’ve seen a ton of people complaining about this, and that if it is a “skill based” matchmaking system, how exactly is this formula calculated?

How can 30 total kills over about 30 matches equate to the same level of skill as someone with 500+ matches and tons of time into the game?

This isn’t just the odd couple of people that get thrown in, it’s literally 6 out of 8 people in a match that vastly out perform anyone on my skill level. 
I’ve spoken to a few and one of them told me that it’s been a big issue for a lot of people, and that he had well over 1,000 hours in the game. 

I’m not talking about the battle pass system of leveling, as anyone can get to a high level regardless of skill if they just play. 

I’m not new to shooters. I play Tarkov, Scum, Deadside, and many others.
I consider myself a competent gamer, but I’ve never seen matchmaking this lazy before. 

It’s like as soon as you reach a threshold, it bumps you into a tier with the best people in the game, with no gradual build up to that point, and it’s demoralizing. 
I don’t feel like I want to play anymore, even though I really like the game. 

I know that this is a long rant, but I wanted to support the devs and buy some crowns because I was having a lot of fun, and this had changed my mind. So I thought it should be said. 

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, and maybe a constructive conversation could help others facing this issue.  

Also if someone could let me know how exactly matching is determined that would satiate my curiosity. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this game uses SBMM.  It has a very small population.  Keep in mind that even if they don't display their kill badge, they may still have significant experience over you.  Its very likely that you've killed veteran players who aren't necessarily combat focused.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pokebreaker said:

I don't know if this game uses SBMM.  It has a very small population.  Keep in mind that even if they don't display their kill badge, they may still have significant experience over you.  Its very likely that you've killed veteran players who aren't necessarily combat focused.

While that very well may be the case, I didn’t see anyone with these types of experience or skill in my first 25 matches or so. 
not a single one. 
until today, and now every single game I get into is people with full high end kits, and an arsenal of knowledge over me. 

I understand that if you keep playing you’ll get to that point, but it’s just not fun to be against the odds in every single match.

All of my friends who have tried to get me into the game before have quit because you can’t just jump in and play casually.

You either sneak around too scared to engage with anyone, or you die and lose your progress to people who see you, and know right off the bat that you’re not any good or at least new.

It just doesn’t make sense to me how it’s supposed to be fun avoiding everything that makes a shooter fun. 

I wouldn’t have even brought anything up if I didn’t have so much fun playing the game at first, and actually wanted to support it. 

so I’m not really dogging on the game.

all I see on these topics from devs is “well just keep playing and try to stay out of sight until you get better, it has a steep learning curve!” 

The issue is, that’s not fun. 
that’s not how people learn.

it wasn’t a steep learning curve before today, so what gives?

2 minutes ago, anthony weston said:

You either sneak around too scared to engage with anyone, or you die and lose your progress to people who see you, and know right off the bat that you’re not any good or at least new.

It just doesn’t make sense to me how it’s supposed to be fun avoiding everything that makes a shooter fun. 

You'll really have to re-define your understanding of a shooter game.  This game is a Survival Looter-Shooter, with a priority on the Survival and Looting; IMO almost like a role-playing game with shooting capabilities.  Camping and being scared to engage are intended effects, because it somewhat simulates reality (the overall goal isn't necessarily realism though).  You're not necessarily expected to fill your bags on every encounter.  Sometimes you have to concede that getting a few things and escaping is better than trying to get more and potentially die.  These are all decisions every player has to make in each encounter.  The better you get at making those decisions, the better off you will be in this game.

As an example of combat scenarios, anytime I'm approaching a building or structure, I go to a walking pace about 80m away, then I crouch-walk at about 50m, and then I crawl at about 25m.  The goal is that if someone inside looting, I will hopefully be able to hear their footsteps, without them hearing mine.  That gives me the opportunity to ambush them if they decide to leave from one of the doors instead of the windows.  Footsteps are very loud in this game, so whoever hears the other person first, has a massive advantage.

This game definitely takes more time to learn than typical arena shooters.  Unfortunately, that is the only remedy to the issue.  If you are in a stacked lobby, get a little loot, then get out.  Be happy to escape with something, and the re-queue for a hopefully better matchmaking roll.

• Like 2

We don't have any SBMM - the only thing that new players get is that their first couple of Encounters will likely be having other new players too, so that they can get a feel of the game.
Unfortunately it can indeed take some time to get used to the game, which is understandable as there definitely is a learning curve. But what could help is looting and scooting, or avoiding confrontation with other Outlanders, or avoiding gunfights until you feel confident enough to fight back 🙂 🍅

• Like 1

Plus it should be added consumables have now been limited so “hunting outlanders” is less likely to be a thing. Keep playing smart and you’ll be fine ^_^ sorry can’t really add much without rehashing what’s already been said, worth noting though that even i, a veteran to this game get by with only around a 54% survival rate which is still decent I win more than I lose but then again I get greedy and try to grab weapons or airdrops 😅 🔫 📦. Basically I’m saying it can happen to anyone, it’s just the way the game plays but those few beautiful game series you do get make it all worth it! You go into a game with an akm some fandoms boost the crate, maybe you get lucky and find the red box of valuables and escape immediately. Maybe you spawn close to buried stash and decide you wanna leave right away. Magic happens 🙂 

Hi,

It's not just the getting matched up with highly skilled players when you are a novice, it's also getting put in games with teams of 2, 3 & 4 players when you are on your own, this winds me up, I just want to loot to build my shelter right up, but the team players just want to hunt & kill everyone & get air drop.. 

I had two teams of 3 player's joined up & trying to kill me last night, I had to exit the map about 7 or 8 mins into game or would have lost what little loot I had..

There should be team players game & single players game......

On 8/8/2021 at 1:01 PM, markiemark1869 said:

Hi,

It's not just the getting matched up with highly skilled players when you are a novice, it's also getting put in games with teams of 2, 3 & 4 players when you are on your own, this winds me up, I just want to loot to build my shelter right up, but the team players just want to hunt & kill everyone & get air drop.. 

I had two teams of 3 player's joined up & trying to kill me last night, I had to exit the map about 7 or 8 mins into game or would have lost what little loot I had..

There should be team players game & single players game......

Then you most likely have “Lone Wolf Mode” on. Having this on does make leveling up faster and easier but it’s also more difficult than solo’s since you’re of course going against teams up to 3. But it’s very easy to toggle it off just press “Y” when selecting a map or “Triangle” if you play PlayStation.

• Haha 1