h -

Hosting for OFPEC

Absolutely no idea if this is even remotely suitable place to post this, but anyway:

OFPEC has been hosted on Armaholic servers for the past few years and obviously now as AH is closed OFPEC will be losing hosting as well, very soon.

Even though the site itself is not even remotely relevant anymore, apart from the TAG registration, was wondering whether there would be any possibility to find someone within this community that could help with this situation?
Obviously preferrably free because I'm perpetually broke 😁😥

In case this is in a completely inappropriate place etc probably best to contact me via PM.

• Like 1

Yo!  H....   h?   you are: "How many men would it take to screw in a lightbulb?" Hoz right?

Well,  i'm interested!      Im not sure if you have seen what i have been up to, but im actually building a community-powered file-storage to keep old files available to the public.
The files are distributed via Torrent,  and 'librarians' like me seed all the torrents. Obviously, anyone can help with filehosting by downloading a (or all) torrent(s) and seeding them.

Have a look at the project here :  

About the files :  Do you have any idea how big the total size is?

Regarding keeping the website up:  i could convert the  site to a docker-container, just like i did for armedassault.info. This way, the site can be easyly moved, transferred and archived.

• Like 2

As amazing as bIdentify project is, I'd say if it's possible to keep OFPEC active as a website (not just as a torrent archive) we should do anything that's possible to keep it alive still. Especially since lots of knowledge was posted on OFPEC forums.

39 minutes ago, krzychuzokecia said:

As amazing as bIdentify project is, I'd say if it's possible to keep OFPEC active as a website (not just as a torrent archive) we should do anything that's possible to keep it alive still. Especially since lots of knowledge was posted on OFPEC forums.

With Bidentify the idea is to detect missing armaholic files and archive them.   This way you seperate the files from other webcontent, like the ofpec website.   
Archiving the website (read:  dockerize the site & make it read-only) to make it more portable is always better when its small in size.  I did this for http://www.armedassault.info/  which was running on a baremetal machine (with php5.6) and is a pain to keep 'secure'

So, seperating the informational content (forums etc) and the files - is the way to go.
I can host the docker-container on my home infrastructure - or it can deployed anywhere else.    

All that is relevant info to know is : What php-version does it run on,  How big is the ftp-filedata and how big is the webdata+database  - or, if both are combined : what is the total size.

@krzychuzokecia  4yrs ago, aa.info closed.    its.still.there.    http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=6524&game=2

I'm not interested in turning the site into some fileholder thingy, I own the domain and the TAG registration thing is still in use and so forth so rather have it running as is.

The cms code is broken in some places but I as far as I know there were some updates done last year to up it to the most current php version, the author of the system might be reachable (depends on his work and interest situ) so things can be fixed I suppose.
The size of the contents is weird, cpanel says odd things but the backup tar is about 20Gb or so, mysql databse is ca. 3gb (this is the sore point with any reasonably priced shared hosting thingy, db too "big").
Traffic is about 60Gb/month.

Oh, forgot:

4 hours ago, jerryhopper said:

Hoz right?

No, me. 😄
I was either a moderator or the forum admin when you were involved with the site back in the ancient days.

Glad u at least remembered me.   i can always host the site for free.  20 gb is peanuts. 

Just be sure to make a complete backup.  Once that is secured, contact me to get started.    

direct chat -> telegram --> @jerryhopper 

Mail contact -> hopper.jerry@gmail.com

Talking about ancient days, here is something to cheer us up :)  

https://mega.nz/file/BE8y2RrT#vni0qBR11DUhy65UOAw6tcRhk-aO-yF_gfIqsti1n2A 
If its up to me, ofpec will still be around when i will wear dipers again!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jerryhopper said:

@krzychuzokecia  4yrs ago, aa.info closed.    its.still.there.

I'm perfectly aware of your efforts, as I said in other thread - I'm willing to donate to keep AA.info and all your other projects going.

You mentioned bIdentify in your post, which made me think that you're unable to host OFPEC as active site, while it seems that H- would prefer to keep it working - in which case, obviously, the bIdentify is not a viable solution. Of course it can serve as a backup for the files hosted on OFPEC, but again - at the moment it seems that's not the aim, aim is to keep it working.

Anyway, I believe you and H- will do whatever that's possible to keep the OFPEC legacy, in one form or another! Good luck!

On 7/9/2021 at 1:58 PM, jerryhopper said:

So i assume you got stuff figured out?!

This is odd, I sent you an email about this like a month ago, or more 😕 (it's not relevant anymore though if you happen to find it in some spam folder).
And I thought had this thread followed.. ☹️

Anyways, happened upon a local host (not to be confused with localhost) which allowed for more flexible billing etc, and had an opportunity to work overtime at work so took that and got this thing paid for.
I suppose this was a bit dumb when there were free offers about but I like to not to depend on others on anything, when I was asking for community help I thought I had no other choice so I bit my tongue (and actually it was Foxhound who pushed me to do that, I was reluctant to..).
So obviously huge thanks to everybody who offered support! 👍 Huge thumbs up even though I decided to go my own way..

The site is up and running, and has been a while, faced some troubles on the way but runs now.. Probably has some issues as ancient code and new tech might not mix fully so let me know.

There are empty 'advertisement' boxes about on the site, currently not sure if I'm gonna remove those or get my own adsense 🤔
The adverts were AH related orginally.

• Like 1

I think you might look for some other possibilities of hosting. Personally, I used the possibility of cloud4u and their cloud-hosting with https://www.cloud4u.com/cloud-hosting/gpu/ GPU feature. Thus, it helped me to improve the FPS for all players in Arma 2. But yeah, since the game is slowly dying, it is not enough to have a good FPS on your server. There should be something more efficient and interesting. 

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, ThePhantom5533 said:

wut

OFPEC isn't a game server, and this is the Arma 3 forum. 

Or are you just spamming?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Harzach said:

OFPEC isn't a game server, and this is the Arma 3 forum. 

Or are you just spamming?

I just gave an example even though it is Arma 3 forum. Arma 2 and Arma 3 are from one developer -- Bohemia Interactive. But thank you for your comment :3