saltedfish

UAV flying off edge of map after autoland?

I've been fooling around in the editor getting used to the drones and hitting ground targets when I noticed a weird bug.

If you take a UAV (the Greyhawk, for example) and use the automatic land function, the UAV then exhibits strange behavior when you take off again: the drone ignore all waypoints and simply flies off the bottom right of the map.

• Disconnecting the UAV from the UAV terminal has no effect
  • Toggling "autonomous mode" in the UAV terminal has no effect
  • It is possible to manually take control of the UAV and fly it wherever you want, but as soon as control is released, the UAV will make for the bottom right of the map and just... fly away.

What is this? Why is this? Is there a fix? How can I get around this, aside from manually landing all the time? I plan to practice my landings, but it would be nice if the functionality in the game actually... worked.

There is no problem with the autopilot landing for Greyhound on Stratis (or Vanilla map). That's a point you can test.

What is your map? Did you test the autopilot landing with an aircraft like Caesar BTT? What are your mods?

Thanks for the response!

I just retested this playing the game with no mods. From the launcher, I selected "play without mods or DLC."

From the main menu screen, I opened the editor, loaded the Stratis map, and placed a default BLUFOR UAV operator and a single MQ-4A Greyhawk.

I took manual control of the UAV and took off, then ordered the aircraft to land.

Initially, I used the "Land" waypoint, but that caused the aircraft to just... nosedive into the water (???)

Then I used the scroll wheel to open the context menu and select "Landing Autopilot." The aircraft landed successfully (as it usually does).

But then, once in the air again, the aircraft just... went off the bottom of the map.

On a whim, I tried the above steps again, and shot at the aircraft as it passed over head. The aircraft then entered a holding loiter above me. Curious, I retested the map I made (as described above), and now I can't actually get the aircraft to exhibit the above described behavior. I wondered if it was the aircraft taking damage, but it's unlikely I hit it with my rifle. I wondered if it was the "Landing Autopilot," and thought perhaps I was taking control of the aircraft too soon and confusing it. But the autopilot is disengaged as soon as you take manual control.

Now I'm just confused.

There are several features and behaviors on what you describe:

- first of all, if you activate an autopilot on aircraft/UAV flying on a map with terrain (fitted with ILS slope), the landing is fine.

- the land waypoint is more for halos. Not tested with aircraft but there is no reason for placing such waypoint above water! (I never use other waypoints than MOVE. I'd rather script something on completion)

- when on ground, your UAV can have a standard behavior like all aircraft: taxiing, taking off... For,... difficult to predict. That can be the last ordered waypoint, over the airfield, or sometimes a non-existent waypoint (at position [0,0,0] by default, so the lower left corner of the map (usually))

- now, if your asset fall in combat mode for whatever reason, you can experience some other default behavior (FSM native script).

- the air asset loitering above an enemy without firing on it, is a good demo for the worst of BI. It's absolutely unrealistic (this asset is dead in real world),

- but the weirdest, probably, is the UAV/aircraft firing missiles while on ground and exploding (I'll not describe the mess if your asset can respawn!)

All these reason lead to me for a good compromise: Usually, my AI aircraft are already in flight, far away, simulation disabled, hidden... Then on demand, I "wake up them". For UAV, it's simple. When a player takes control, he wakes up it, when he releases, the UAV has a return waypoint on original position, refuel, rearm and disable sim again. Just a loop.

I don't think any of that really touches on what I'm talking about. The behavior is (or was) pretty specific: after an autolanding, once back in the air, the drone would fly off in a random direction, never to return.

With some more testing, since I seemed to have... unbroken it, I got the drone to fly off in a random direction, if the drone was already placed in the air at the start of the mission.

At this point, I don't think I can trust the AI with the drones, so until it gets completely overhauled by someone who knows what they're doing, I'll just avoid it entirely.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:50 AM, saltedfish said:

I've been fooling around in the editor getting used to the drones and hitting ground targets when I noticed a weird bug.

If you take a UAV (the Greyhawk, for example) and use the automatic land function, the UAV then exhibits strange behavior when you take off again: the drone ignore all waypoints and simply flies off the bottom right of the map.

• Disconnecting the UAV from the UAV terminal has no effect
  • Toggling "autonomous mode" in the UAV terminal has no effect
  • It is possible to manually take control of the UAV and fly it wherever you want, but as soon as control is released, the UAV will make for the bottom right of the map and just... fly away.

What is this? Why is this? Is there a fix? How can I get around this, aside from manually landing all the time? I plan to practice my landings, but it would be nice if the functionality in the game actually... worked.

Do you figured out this issue?
I have the same problem a couple of years. Very strange that BI did not solved it :(