damsous

Here some result about Malloc (JEmalloc)

I write this post cause i noticed JEmalloc was still avaible for year 2021, so read few post about Malloc and found ton of **** about it, like "i got a 50 fps boost...", or some result with YAAB, i didn't wrote this to put a bad review on YABB, (useful for graphical settings), but I think relying on YABB (vanilla) is not really the best solution to test allocators, especially since most players spend their time on Arma with various modes, heavy scripts.... and they are generally not playing for 2 minutes session.

First here my result with YAAB :

huge page 64bit.exe
System Malloc = 31.2
Tbb Malloc = 31.3
JEmalloc = 31

NO huge page 64bit.exe
System = 30.9
tbb Malloc = 31.2
JEmalloc = 30.7

32bit.exe
System = 31
tbb Malloc = 32.2
JEmalloc = 30.6

So we cannot say that the results are conclusive because is simply impossible to notice any difference.

So i made a test for more than 2 week by playing the same scenario, +/- 2hour session, we used this scenario "LIBERATION", ported to Tanoa with custom faction and added few custom user scripts... (Ai, TAW View distance...)

So the mission by itslef is heavy scripted and we added more, the mission run on a dedicated server and we were 3 players, note : the perf server side was great.

I make 2 session with each Malloc, i only used 64bit.exe/hugepage enabled, i have no idea if there a support for hugepage with system Malloc or JEMalloc, so maybe my test are not really accurate.

TBB MALLOC :

Everything goes well over a short time, the performances deteriorate over time, after 2h of games if I attack a big city (bigger objectives) the client FPS are abhorrent, I am forced to decrease the view distance under 300m. I didn't notice any stuttering or texture/object popping.

Sytem MALLOC :

FPS client side keep solid even after a long session, i always got this performance drop when triggering the big city, but its still playable at 500m viewdistance. Few micro stuttering when moving fast and sometimes texture popping.

JEmalloc :

FPS client side keep solid even after a long session, i always got this performance drop when triggering the big city, but its still playable at 500m viewdistance. No micro stuttering, but massive object popping when changing viewdistance. For exemple with TAW view distance script i can set up custom view distance on foot/car/air, my set up are 1200m on foot, 2000m in car, 4500 in air (object are sync with VD), so if i enter in a chopper and the VD switch from 1200 to 4500 i can see all the tree popping on the far away nude land, that only takes 1 or 2 sec.

I’m not a very demanding person, and seeing trees gradually appear in the far away land when my viewing distance changes is not really a problem. After all this impression is purely personal, when I play a Arma its for a 2 or 3 hours session and I attach more importance to the general stability on long run than a short loading time of objects in the distance that takes les than 2 sec. So for my part the results with JEmalloc are pretty good.

TBB is not bad at all, but it look like more perfect for a short session or a controled scenarion builded in eden editor.

Conclusion TBB its an ugly woman with a ton of make-up that not last long 😉