sarogahtyp

Saros Tweak For Higher FPS On Maps

Saros Tweak For Higher FPS On Maps

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Singleplayer / Multiplayer / Eden-Editor compatible. CBA required. Server and clients need the mod.
Addon deletes (by hideing) terrain objects to boost fps on maps.
Its fully customizable through CBA-Settings.

YOU HAVE TO ADJUST ADDON-SETTINGS IN OPTIONS MENU or the mod does nothing! See notes below for usage.

It can be used by server admins to get better fps on clients. Server settings will force the client to the same settings.
You are able to configure deletion percentages of rocks, trees, bushes, walls, fences and hides.
Those objects are not transferred through network. Every machine executes the hiding local for itsself but the algorithm ensures that every machine deletes the same objects.

This addon tries to solve fps problems in Singleplayer and Multiplayer environments caused by a heavy terrain-object count on maps.
On some maps there are so many rocks, trees, bushes, walls, fences and hides that some CPUs/GPUs get to their limits and the player is forced to limit the viewdistance by far to get an acceptable framerate. Also on some maps these objects are not well optimized and fps drops occur therefore.

For Serveradmins it is recommended to use a cba settings file in userconfig folder and to enable filePatching.
cba settings file and user config folder is described here:

CBA - Settings - Documentation

This mod is on your side 🙂

Steam Workshop

Singleplayer/Editor usage:
1. Open your Singleplayer/Editor mission.
2. After it is started press Escape key. 
3. Then click on "Options"->"Addon Options".
4. Choose "Saro Tweak Map FPS" from the drop down menu named "ADDON".
5. Choose your prefered deletion rates.
6. Press "OK".
7. Pause Menu is disabled now until new settings are processed completely.

If you have questions or suggestion just ask and/or tell!

The idea for this mod was born in this thread.

versions archive:

version 0.4 (latest)

version 0.3

version 0.21

version 0.2 (partially broken, see here)
version 0.1

Full Changelog:

Spoiler

version 0.4 released on 07/01/21

- changed Input Controler Blocking into Pause Menu Blocking during heavy processing of mod.
- fixed a bug which refreshed the whole hiding if a CBA setting was changed which belongs to another mod
- fixed a bug throwing an error message but not affecting much

version 0.3 released on 06/27/21

- The change of deletion rate settings does not need a mission restart anymore but players input controls get blocked during the change process now. Changing could take a while cause hiding many objects is much slower if player is spawned already.
- Full Singleplayer compatible now. Saving/loading SP games should not break anything anymore. But its in an experimental state.

version 0.21 (hotfix) released on 06/25/21

- hotfix of v 0.2 where objects got deleted only if 100 % deletion rate was chosen in addon options menu.

version 0.2 released on 06/25/21

- added all missing but possible terrain object types. Now you are able to choose out of 41 object types to delete.
- changed addon options to better reflect possibilities. Its not possible to delete 83% of a type and it never was.
- now you are able to view the original number of objects of a specific type on map. Just hover over the option name in the addon options menu.

version 0.1 released on 06/21/21

- Initial Release

• Like 7

Friendly advice : you should set a maximum number of objects to delete. Running script commands on very large amounts of objects will increase the save size, and could potentially crash the saving system in singleplayer. I think you will be fine with structures on most maps, but vegetation objects are indeed very numerous...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, haleks said:

Running script commands on very large amounts of objects will increase the save size

I don't understand how exactly it increases the save size but I ll test it and think about a solution if it gets a problem.

Thanks for your advice @haleks.

Okay I did some Singleplayer save/load tests and found that @haleks is absolutly right.

I tested on Stratis which has about 170.000 terrain objects which is far less compared to other maps that can have more than ten times as many objects.

What I did:

1. started mission

2. configured the mod (not yet released version) to delete all terrain objects (170k) on map.

3. Left the mission and started again (only this way object get deleted on mission start)

4. I hit the "Save" button and waited ... a long time.

5. It took 15 minutes to save and another 15 to load it again

The size of the save was not huge. It was 55 MB  with using the mod and it was 27 MB without using it.

I guess the problem is caused by Single Core CPU Performance.

Another guess is that it should be no problem if your CPU speed is 100 times faster than my very old ones. But who would need a FPS-Booster for Arma 3 then?

My specs:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz

benchmark comparision page

My conclusion is that I can not recommend to use the mod in Singleplayer scenarios where you need to save the mission or where the mission itself autosaves like in campaigns.

Sorry but I get lower FPS than before.
Probably I'm doing something wrong 🙄

12 hours ago, nikiforos said:

Sorry but I get lower FPS than before.
Probably I'm doing something wrong 🙄

The script of this mod is deleting terrain objects right before you spawn and after that point the script is finished and does nothing anymore.

Therefore it is not possible to get lower fps caused by this mod.

Maybe you did your test together with other mods or scripts  which are doin something in backgound. I recommend to test with cba and saroTweakMapFPS loaded only. And I recommend to test in Eden Editor without loading any mission just dropping one unit on map and starting.

This way you ensure that nothing (arma related) else is influencing your fps while testing.

You should also look for other tasks on your computer beside arma which could have impact on your cpu/gpu usage.

• Like 1

New version  (v 0.2) released:

- added all missing but possible terrain object types. Now you are able to choose out of 41 object types to delete.
- changed addon options to better reflect possibilities. Its not possible to delete 83% of a type and it never was.
- now you are able to view the original number of objects of a specific type on map. Just hover over the option name in the addon options menu.

v 0.2 is partially broken (when deleting fewer than 100 % then nothing gets deleted).

working on hotfix.

sorry for this!

New version  (v 0.21) released:

- hotfix of v 0.2 where objects got deleted only if 100 % deletion rate was chosen in addon options menu.

@sarogahtyp

_dummy = [_type, _var, _objects, _start_time] spawn
 {

Why are you spawning so many scripts? You can just use one spawn.

2 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

Why are you spawning so many scripts? You can just use one spawn.

Idk if that really matters. But its planned to restructere the whole thing. i ll do a performance update in a few versions after I solved all singleplayer problems. I hope to have this done tomorrow. After that i start restructering it.

6 hours ago, Synchronized said:

Are there any benchmarks yet?

I ll not do those. I spend my time on optimizing the mod.

New version  (v 0.3) released:

- The change of deletion rate settings does not need a mission restart anymore but players input controls get blocked during the change process now. Changing could take a while cause hiding many objects is much slower if player is spawned already.
- Full Singleplayer compatible now. Saving/loading SP games should not break anything anymore. But its in an experimental state.

• Like 1

New version  (v 0.4) released:

- changed Input Controler Blocking into Pause Menu Blocking during heavy processing of mod.
- fixed a bug which refreshed the whole hiding if a CBA setting was changed which belongs to another mod
- fixed a bug throwing an error message but not affecting much