KKrazy

How do I define unique voices?

What the title says. I have the SPF4 mod. It has Swedish voices, but it replaces English voices. It sounds strange that US-NATO forces are speaking Swedish. I wonder if I can define unique voices, much like ARMA 3 has them.

That mod likely did what most do. Repath from default sounds to a set of their own.

Of course there is the CfgVoice class in the config too. Which has elements referenced in CfgFaces. Speaker=Whatever.

But I haven't explored it personally. So I can't say how much that would actually allow you to do.

There is also a Voice.PBO in the DTA directory. This is the source for the sounds referenced in the Cfgvoice class.

So perhaps it might be possible to create a new "character". I don't know.

4 hours ago, Macser said:

That mod likely did what most do. Repath from default sounds to a set of their own.

Of course there is the CfgVoice class in the config too. Which has elements referenced in CfgFaces. Speaker=Whatever.

But I haven't explored it personally. So I can't say how much that would actually allow you to do.

There is also a Voice.PBO in the DTA directory. This is the source for the sounds referenced in the Cfgvoice class.

So perhaps it might be possible to create a new "character". I don't know.

Red Hammer also has unique voices for the soviet units. I think I'll just copy what they have and put it in. Assuming I can find it. 

16 hours ago, KKrazy said:

I wonder if I can define unique voices, much like ARMA 3 has them.

No, not in the way Arma 3 deals with it.

First: like Macser said, voices are defined in main config in CfgVoice part. But that class contains just their names with paths to actual soundfiles. It does nothing to apply them to actual units.

To apply face/voice to unit, you need to use identities. These are defined in CfgWorlds class, were you have four separate classes for identities for West, East, Guerrilla and Civilian units. Unit will be assigned a random identity from the class that fits it's faction. You can add your own identities (with different voices) to existing faction classes, but they'll always be mixed with all the pre-existing ones (resulting in a mix of English and Swedish for all West units).

Red Hammer adds it's own voices in CfgVoice, but applies them by replacing speaker parameter in existing identities in CfgWorlds/East/Soldiers.

It may be possible to create your own class under CfgWorlds, with a set of unique identities, and then use a script utilizing setIdentity command. However I never tested it, it may never work - either it's impossible to create custom class in CfgWorlds, or setIdentity may not see any CfgWorlds identities at all.

The second option is probably true, because all the custom identities (like David Armstrong or Victor Troska in campaigns) are created on the mission/campaign level, with CfgIdentities class in description.ext. Polish OFPL mod used a textfile (identities.hpp) containing custom Polish identities, hidden in an addon, which you could include in your description.ext, and then use game logic to start the script (on all OFPL units) that would assign those custom identities - making Polish units have Polish names, while Americans had American (OFPL had no custom voice-over, but if it had, then it'd still require same steps).

In later Armas not only CfgIdentities is added to main config, but there's additional parameter in unit config, which allows you to change what class of identities your units will use.