I've got my dialogs running now, save for one item.

To set the text of a button, I can use...

ctrlSetText [idc, text]

...but to set the tooltip, I have to use something entirely different...

control ctrlSetTooltip text

So how do I get a handle on the control? Is it _control = display displayCtrl idc? It seems odd to call displayCtrl when the controls are already displayed as per the class I created.

the first syntax is not entirely safe. if you have multiple dialogs open it might not change the text of the control you are aiming for. the other syntax with "_ctrl ctrlSetText "text"; " is the better option. 

2 hours ago, HereIsJones said:

So how do I get a handle on the control? Is it _control = display displayCtrl idc?

yes.

2 hours ago, HereIsJones said:

It seems odd to call displayCtrl when the controls are already displayed as per the class I created.

config and sqf are two very different worlds. unfortunately, getting control handles is tedious. the usual concept would be:

• Use _display = findDisplay IDD; to get the display (or use the params from the onLoad UIEH*)
  • Then use _ctrl = _display displayCtrl IDC; to get your control
  • Always use the syntax with _ctrl COMMAND rightArguments instead of relying on the idc

*Using the onLoad UIEH and params is the most elegant way. i am going to add some info to https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/GUI_Tutorial on how BI structures their UI scripts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1