LSValmont

Benefits of Delaying the Release of the Enfusion Engine

For some reason the amount of talk, theories and comments about future versions of Arma and the Enfusion engine has skyrocketed lately.

Everyone is speculating and getting crazy about a potential announcement in the coming days regarding Arma 4.

But what no one is talking about are the benefits of Enfusion taking longer to be released outside of the obvious "increased polish".

Hopefully this post will show the anxious players out there that getting your Arma later than expected could be a good thing.

I will be listing those benefits here and then keep updating the list with other users' contributions on the subject:

1) DirectX 12 Ultimate: With its Improved support for Raytracing 1.1 and Variable Rate Shading Technology means that when Arma 4 releases the engine will be able to make use of these amazing improvements. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-directx-12-ultimate/

2) Vulkan 1.2's Parallel Tasking Technology: Vulkan is a new-generation graphics and compute open standard API that provides high-efficiency, cross-platform access to modern GPUs that is currently used by most consoles other than the XBOX series. Vulkan 1.3 will provide additional improvements to its already impressive Parallel Tasking Technology which will bring lower CPU usage while also allowing developers to better distribute work among multiple CPU cores. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

3) Windows 11: With Windows 11 announcement just around the corner (June 24th 2021) it has been leaked that the OS will feature many optimizations for gaming in preparations to its revamped Xbox experience that is now integrated into Windows 11, offering quick access to Xbox Game Pass games, the social parts of Xbox network, and the Xbox store. https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

4) Microsoft's DirectStorage: PC game load times are about to get a whole lot faster thanks to Microsoft's DirectStorage tech, The tech behind the super fast load times on the Xbox Series X is coming to PCs in the form of DirectStorage, Microsoft have announced. The DirectX API aims to dramatically reduce loading times and enable developers to create bigger, more detailed worlds than ever before thanks to its "best in class IO tech" (that's input / output, in case you're unfamiliar with the term) - if you've got the right kind of SSD, that is. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/pc-game-load-times-are-about-to-get-a-whole-lot-faster-thanks-to-microsofts-directstorage-tech

5) Nvidia RTX IO: "When used with Microsoft’s new DirectStorage for Windows API, RTX IO offloads dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to your GeForce RTX GPU, improving frame rates, enabling near-instantaneous game loading, and opening the door to a new era of large, incredibly detailed open world games," according to Nvidia. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/pc-game-load-times-are-about-to-get-a-whole-lot-faster-thanks-to-microsofts-directstorage-tech

6) NVIDIA DLSS: (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is groundbreaking AI rendering technology that increases graphics performance using dedicated Tensor Core AI processors on GeForce RTX™ GPUs. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/technologies/dlss/

7) AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution: The technology boosts frame rates and resolution of gameplay without requiring people to upgrade their hardware. FSR is an image upscaling technology. Depending on the game, it can provide more than three times the performance of native resolution that's set to Performance. https://www.windowscentral.com/amd-unveils-fidelityfx-super-resolution-its-answer-nvidias-dlss

8.) True competition is around the corner: For the longest time the Arma franchise has benefited from being "the only kid on the block" regarding some of its more unique features: Huge Maps, Combined Arms, Advanced Ai, Accurate and "closer to reality" simulation of some of its systems and above all, the user's freedom to modify and create new experiences via modding, scripting, mission making via EDEN Editor etc.

That "Only Child" situation that benefited Bohemia Interactive's creations for so long could soon no longer be the case thou, as many games and/or game companies that spawned from Arma's mods such as POG and the Battle Royale Genre, the Survival Genre etc have "opened their eyes" to the "revenue potential" that exists and now other big industry names and companies have developed a thirst for Arma like "business models and features". Icarus Survival being the latest example of this previous claim: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/icarus-survival-game-preview

Of course it has taken years for the competition to get even close to what the RV and "Soon TM" the Enfusion engine will offer. 

Yet we are perhaps one generation away from getting the UNREAL ENGINE just as good and easy to use as the EDEN EDITOR, and other companies' game engines being able to deliver the same features with the same realism and detail as Arma does currently.

Enfusion will  surely be the tool, main weapon but also the testing grounds that will be facing that next gen competition and its ability stay relevant will dictate the future of BI in years to come so it better be good and it better be polished on release.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I highly doubt that you will have to worry about Arma 4 being released too soon. LoL

I think it's a safe bet that Arma 4 is still 3-4 years away. 

If, and notice I said if, there is an announcement next week of a new Arma game on the Enfusion engine, it's almost certainly not going to be Arma 4.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I highly doubt that you will have to worry about Arma 4 being released too soon. LoL

If, and notice I said if, there is an announcement next week of a new Arma game on the Enfusion engine, it's almost certainly not going to be Arma 4.  

I agree, the brand name "Arma" is too valuable for BI and now Tencent too. 

Additionally Arma 3 has overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam for them to let the "beta version" of Enfusion do one of its most beloved franchises any potential harm image wise.

If fact the Arma franchise is the only BI product with outstanding reputation according to the steam review system.

BI would probably release a "prototype game" first, which many players will buy thinking it is the NEXT thing but all they will be really doing is just financing the continuous development of the truly final Arma 4 on the finalized Enfusion engine... which by that point will bring all the features mentioned on my main post plus whatever new tech we see in the next years.

• Like 2

directx storage can be used even in arma 3 without touch the game if I remember well. 

6 hours ago, stburr91 said:

[...]

[...]

More like the announcement is 3 or 4 years away.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LSValmont said:

They will probaby release a "prototype game" first

DayZ is the the prototype game, it's Bohemias testing ground for the enfusion engine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RyuAzuku said:

DayZ is the the prototype game, it's Bohemias testing ground for the enfusion engine.

It was their first testing ground but the DayZ version mainly includes only the new animation system and renderer...that was for sure a good testground for console compatibility but nothing more. Everything else would make me be extremely afraid since DayZ looks and feels completely outdated compared to modern standarts.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RyuAzuku said:

I believe DayZ could hardly be considered a true "Enfusion prototype" as it is not 100% Enfusion but a rather complicated hybrid of Arma 3's RV + Enfusion that ultimately just made the hilarious "FLYING VEHICLES" issue even bigger and is not even able to handle Helicopters/Advanced Ai/HIgh player counts and also is completely overrun by cheaters and hakers so... that was probably not the real Enfusion Prototype that we are predicting will be announced soon TM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zukov said:

directx storage can be used even in arma 3 without touch the game if I remember well. 

I believe it is a DirectX 12 feature.... And Arma 3 is DirectX 11v1 so no faster loading times for good old grandpa unless BI decides to update RV with DirectX 12 support, which wouldn't be bad to ensure full Windows 11 compatibility if you ask me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vigil Vindex said:

Has 1 to 7 ever been confirmed for Enfusion?

The real question is: Can a triple A company release a AAA+ game in late 2021+ without those modern gaming standards and still be advertised as AAA?

I don't think BI would risk Arma 4 being labeled "outdated on arrival" by the reviewers and specially considering the current and even future competition.

BI should go ALL IN for Arma 4's release. People have been waiting 7+ years to see what this "brand new" engine is capable off.

Specially considering that Enfusion has been in development for ages now and it was described by BI themselves as "the future of all BI games".

Besides BI has been blaming its ancient RV engine for the outdated feel and terrible performance of Arma 3 for years now. Imagine if the new engine that was made to overcome that outdated feel and all those legacy issues comes out already outdated without taking advantage of all those performance focused technologies. That would be as embarrassing as releasing a square wheel on a world that is using round wheels already.

3 minutes ago, LSValmont said:

"...brand new engine is capable off."

But is it new? Wasn't Enfusion purchased as an already deployed engine for other games? I hope 1-7 is being targeted but the lack of any indicators or mentions of it either in DayZ or the forums makes me doubt it. /sadface

9 minutes ago, Vigil Vindex said:

But is it new? Wasn't Enfusion purchased as an already deployed engine for other games? I hope 1-7 is being targeted but the lack of any indicators or mentions of it either in DayZ or the forums makes me doubt it. /sadface

If your 2021 model car was designed in 2015 does that mean it is not brand new when it is finally released in 2021? I mean that same model has never been on the market before... only parts of it made it to the market years prior.

Still you would expect that car to have the 2021 or at least 2020 security standards in place for your car to be competitive, even thou its original design was in place years ago.

Also did you know that the COD Warzone engine also was made almost from scratch and took the dev team 7+ years to be released yet it was released with all the latest bells and whistles modern at the time of release and it was advertised as the "brand new superior engine pushing the franchise forward". That is how AAA games go and that is how BI has been advertising Enfusion also.

• Like 1

I hope that I never implementing Ray tracing is a literally a bullshit, a pure marketing from nvidia

7 hours ago, Vigil Vindex said:

Has any of 1 to 7 ever been confirmed as coming to Enfusion?

Nope. The fact is none of this has been confirmed and is purely speculation. I enjoy guessing about future games as much as the next person. Actually, probably not as much as the next person as I wouldn't start a thread about it, but Arma 4 has not been announced (yet).

I would love to continue my love-affair with this franchise into a 5th stand-alone game if you count Operation Flashpoint before Chodemasters (deliberate typo) had to go and screw things up. For now though, we must all revel in Arma 3's glory and simply make do with mods and CDLC's to sate our hunger...

• Like 1

is just a my idea/speculation, but BI can attempt to port SOGPF to DAYZ like CDLC, mike force is very close like gameplay and features. In this manner would be clear if Enfusion engine is good or bad. 

5 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

Nope. The fact is none of this has been confirmed and is purely speculation.

And what exactly have they confirmed regarding engine features?

Now that AMD has released its Fidelityfx Super Resolution, BI could implement it in the next ArmA 3 update and give a big boost to the FPS of most of the ArmA gaming community video cards and buy time to finish developing ArmA 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 5:13 PM, Alejandro Cano said:

Now that AMD has released its Fidelityfx Super Resolution, BI could implement it in the next ArmA 3 update and give a big boost to the FPS of most of the ArmA gaming community video cards and buy time to finish developing ArmA 4.

Ok so it has just been confirmed (source below) that Fidelityfx Super Resolution can be easily ported to older titles (Including Arma 3). So of course we can expect the new engine to support it.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, LSValmont said:

8.) True competition is around the corner: For the longest time the Arma franchise has benefited from being "the only kid on the block" regarding some of its more unique features: Huge Maps, Combined Arms, Advanced Ai, Accurate and "closer to reality" simulation of some of its systems and above all, the user's freedom to modify and create new experiences via modding, scripting, mission making via EDEN Editor etc.

That "Only Child" situation that benefited Bohemia Interactive's creations for so long could soon no longer be the case thou, as many games and/or game companies that spawned from Arma's mods such as POG and the Battle Royale Genre, the Survival Genre etc have "opened their eyes" to the "revenue potential" that exists and now other big industry names and companies have developed a thirst for Arma like "business models and features". Icarus Survival being the latest example of this previous claim: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/icarus-survival-game-preview

Of course it has taken years for the competition to get even close to what the RV and "Soon TM" the Enfusion engine will offer. 

Yet we are perhaps one generation away from getting the UNREAL ENGINE just as good and easy to use as the EDEN EDITOR, and other companies' game engines being able to deliver the same features with the same realism and detail as Arma does currently.

Enfusion will  surely be the tool, main weapon but also the testing grounds that will be facing that next gen competition and its ability stay relevant will dictate the future of BI in years to come so it better be good and it better be polished on release.

Point 8 It is actually happening a lot sooner than expected:

😅

@Battlefield 2042 -did he say Co-op vs AI ...on THAT ENGINE? In OPEN WORLD?!?

Holy smokes and hot Jesus ! !

Frostbite engine is NOT BAD but it was limited to rail shooters or small maps like Source for a long time. 

Even Rockst*r's GTA engine was closer to ARMA but no editor or player mod support officially.

Good to see competition.

5 hours ago, LSValmont said:

Point 8 It is actually happening a lot sooner than expected:

3 hours ago, froggyluv said:

@Battlefield 2042 -did he say Co-op vs AI ...on THAT ENGINE? In OPEN WORLD?!?

Now, now, lets not get our panties in a bunch. It's a game mode editor. To simplify it, they are basically expanding the list of variables you can tweak. There are still regular maps, albeit pretty big, not an open world and they're adding factions, weapons, vehicles and whatnot from some of the previous games into 2042, which you can then mix and mach as you please in sort of custom server setting.

Though, there is still some kind of BR but not BR, that they haven't really revealed yet which may have a ~PUBG sized map or something, so we'll see.

51 minutes ago, Valken said:

Good to see competition.

I mean, it's "competition" like, I dunno, SUVs are compared to trucks. Seems like it can do it and all soccer moms are buying them for their school runs but it's not it at all.

As I said in, among other, in BF2042 thread. It's starting. YouTubers and hungry fanboys are getting overly excited and hype train is taking off once more.

• Like 2

In the video he said the ability to go prone. I'm thinking, what you can't go prone in battlefield already !

16 minutes ago, WGP said:

In the video he said the ability to go prone. I'm thinking, what you can't go prone in battlefield already !

I some BF games you can and in others you can't...