Sign in to follow this  
WGP

Six Days In Fallujah

Looks interesting.

Not sure how to put a video in directly, so copy/paste.

What do you think ?

14 hours ago, WGP said:

Not sure how to put a video in directly, so copy/paste.

Usually you just copy past the link and after a second or two it turns into an embedded video. If that doesn't work for some reason, you can right click on video in YT, copy embedded link and try pasting that in here.

This was supposed to be a thing like ten years ago. While there was some politics and activism involved the main thing was that the conflict was still very fresh for a lot of families. I distinctly remember one mom of a fallen soldier say in tears something along the lines of "those boys just died out there and now people will be laughing and joking about it online in MP". That pretty much killed the whole thing and who can blame her. That's about the most terrible thing that can happen to a parent. The game's tone and marketing was a bit different back then as well. To a degree we were all still in bombing-towel-heads-back-into-the-stone-age phase back then.

Fast forward to today and while there was some "protest", it didn't hold much merit, was more of today's typical race card playing back and forth. Looks like they are going forward with this project this time around.

"There are no atheists in foxholes".

Premise wise, this is kinda what this type of games should be about, right? Depicting brutality of war, how truly horrifying it is. It's not about flying limbs and spilling guts, it's about this type of thing, fear of the unknown for example like these guys are describing. Super Bunnyhop made an intriguing video on the topic a while ago.

Mechanically, it looks interesting. Those squad commands look rather simple and console friendly, it seems very scripted but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's supposed to be these incredibly tense situations and you're supposed to have fairly well trained marines at your side, so you don't want to be fiddling with and babysitting bots.

Audio from weapons, environment and voice/callouts seem good, it's quite atmospheric. Weapon animations are... OK, they do the job I guess but are very dated.

Those from indoor to outdoor lighting effects are a bit much though, in RL you have mechanisms like squinting to help with that.

All in all, seems decent for what they shown, we'll see what they come up with. I'm glad someone is doing a game, focusing on what that thing is supposed to be rather then chasing the latest money making trend.

Take care, God bless.

• Like 2

@Janex Great thoughts on the game.

I hope they get to release it, I'll certainly give it a go.

• Thanks 1