EveronVetsAgainstTheWar

Streaming/performance problems

Hi all,

I'm an old OFP player who wants to stream Arma: CWA on Twitch to celebrate its 20th anniversary (I can't believe it's been that long). 

The problem I'm having is the game runs great, but it stutters (only on stream) when I play for a few minutes.

I'm confused about the stutter because this laptop can stream Arma 2 beautifully! 

I'm playing at 1080p, texture detail on low, view distance set to 900.  

I'm on a Surface Book 2 with Intel Core i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz (2.11 GHz), 16GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 w/2GB GDDR5.

I've read a lot of the old tweaking/optimizing threads but I'm not sure what else to do now. Does anyone have any advice for optimization for 1.99? I would love to be able to stream and share this game with a whole new generation, especially since I've had my own experiences in war now and it's interesting to see what was realistic and what wasn't. 

I streamed CWA without issues. The game doesn't stutter when you play it? Do you stream A2 with the same settings? What software do you use?

Hi faguss! Thanks for the reply and letting me know you were successful streaming CWA.

The game doesn't stutter when I play it. The stuttering only happens on the stream and only after I've been playing a few minutes (I've been testing using the Ambush mission). 

I stream using OBS. The settings I use for Arma 2 are 1080p, graphics on medium/high and draw distance 3500.

I realize it could be something other than CWA, but it doesn't make sense to me that a more resource-intensive game like Arma 2 streams fine. If you have any more thoughts I'd love to hear them!

I wasn't clear enough: I mean streaming settings, not in-game video settings. Make sure that you're playing in full screen, that it's a game capture and not monitor capture, that hardware codec is set. Maybe try lowering bitrate on the fly.

Thanks! I do use the same settings for streaming both: 1080p 60 fps with the NVEC codec. I game capture the application in full screen. I'll try lowering the bitrate and seeing if that helps. I'll try lowering it to 30 fps too. Thanks again.

Sorry for the double post, but I tried adjusting bitrate on the fly and it didn't work. Playing ambush it never stuttered until when you're assaulting the town. I tried CO2: Battlefields (recommend for 1ghz+ PCs) and the stream started freezing/stuttering almost right away. 

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to them!