bardosy

[COOP 09] Bardosy's S.O.G. missions

These coop missions will be form an SP campaign in the near future. But until then, you can play with them separately in MP cooperative.

All of them require S.O.G. Prairie Fire DLC, but nothing else.

Hold Alamo

Short (40 min) mission to defend an F.O.B. on the hill from the multiple waves of Vietnamese assault.

?imw=200&imh=200&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

Boots for walking

It's a regular patrol routine in Vietnam: eliminate VC, destroy caches, collect intel...

Secure transport

SF team are working on a Hearts and minds mission, so they need supply serve to the villagers. Your task is to clear the road for the truck convoy. (Mission inspirited by Radio Commander game.)

Search and Rescue

Your team was sent for patrol the area and gather intel about shot down pilots.

This mission is use Johnnyboy's passable rice paddle script.

?imw=268&imh=268&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

Ride of the Valkyries

Mission based on Apocalypse Now movie: the Air Cavalry charge against a VC stronghold village full of civilians too. Wagner is included.

Hammer and Anvil

Classic Hammer and Anvil operation: your task is to push the NVA troops toward the mechanized infantry "anvil". In this mission you don't just command your squad, but a whole ARVN platoon (3 squads + yours) by High Command module (or if you play in MP any player can command the squad leaders of the ARVN squads). You have mortar support and intel from a pre-flight of Navy recon plane (he marks interesting sport in the AO).

Frontline [W.I.P.]

Well known Bravo 2 squad get an order to support other Bravos at a hill on the Frontline South of Hanoi.The main objective is to bleed out the enemy and capture their position to get visual sight on the weapon factory, so you can drive a massive artillery strike on it.

• Like 2

I played Boots for Walking solo yesterday, and totally enjoyed it.  Good solid Nam mission and it works just fine as a SP mission where you command an AI team (but you start it by hosting your own server in Multiplayer). 

So you SP fans should give this a try!

Great job Bardosy!

Two new mission added to the first post

• Like 1

Just played Search and Rescue and loved it.  Great fun, nice variable objectives.  Crossing rice paddies was tense.  Smart use of AI teleporting on your part for crossing the bridge (otherwise would have been stuck there forever).  Really enjoy these missions Bardosy, very action oriented, with some nice humor in the interactions as well.

• Thanks 1

OK, Bardosy, have you timed the intro songs exactly to the heli rides?  It seems that way.  I'm replaing the Boots mission, and just as we land and I disembark the song says "OK boots, start walking".   Freakin' genius brother!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, johnnyboy said:

Just played Search and Rescue and loved it.  Great fun, nice variable objectives.  Crossing rice paddies was tense.  Smart use of AI teleporting on your part for crossing the bridge (otherwise would have been stuck there forever).  Really enjoy these missions Bardosy, very action oriented, with some nice humor in the interactions as well.

Thanks for playing! Did you find the water level glitch at the rice paddles? I think you changed the greeneries to passable, but this has lower elevation, so the water is just hanging in the air. It's just fun, nothing serious and much-much better than the original what look nice, but unpassable for AI. Without AI it was very hard to liberate those pilots. Now it's just a piece of cake.

Originally i wanted to add a last VC assault when player wait for the extraction, but I thought players will be very angry in that moment, because of the AI stuck at the rice field. But now when it's work (thanks to you) maybe I can add a last small battle around the LZ. (I found out, the official missions of SOG is always ended with a duckhunt around the extraction LZ, so I can add this to my mission too)

There is an easter egg in this mission: player can found the wreckage of the downed plane (look for smoke). It's not necessary for the objectives, just an extra.

5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

OK, Bardosy, have you timed the intro songs exactly to the heli rides?  It seems that way.  I'm replaing the Boots mission, and just as we land and I disembark the song says "OK boots, start walking".   Freakin' genius brother!

Hahahaha. Nice! But I guess helis travel in different amount of time on different PCs. This is my problem now: I start make the new mission with a action-packed task - insert by Hueys in a hostile village like the Apocalypse Now scene when they play Wagner on the laudspeaker. But in every time when I test it, the Hueys act different: sometimes the leader Huey go to much forward, sometimes two Huey collide. And I think helis fly in different path depend on how AI can get CPU time on my PC. But I dont give up yet. If it works it looks so nice, it would be a good mission... 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bardosy said:

I think you changed the greeneries to passable, but this has lower elevation, so the water is just hanging in the air. It's just fun, nothing serious and much-much better than the original what look nice, but unpassable for AI. Without AI it was very hard to liberate those pilots. Now it's just a piece of cake. 

Yes, I saw the border dykes were too low and water was in air.  That didn't happen for me at a different rice paddy location that you saw in my demo video.  You can try adjusting the Z value to be higher at your location to see if they then look good AND the AI can still walk across them.

There is an easter egg in this mission: player can found the wreckage of the downed plane (look for smoke). It's not necessary for the objectives, just an extra.

I missed.  I never went to the downed plane.  I'll try it again later probably.

This is my problem now: I start make the new mission with a action-packed task - insert by Hueys in a hostile village like the Apocalypse Now scene when they play Wagner on the laudspeaker. But in every time when I test it, the Hueys act different: sometimes the leader Huey go to much forward, sometimes two Huey collide. And I think helis fly in different path depend on how AI can get CPU time on my PC. But I dont give up yet.

Don't give up buddy!  A few things you can try is when helicopter is near village, but not near enough to see it, setVelocityModelSpace on chopper so it goes forward at a constant speed from that point on(hopefully the pilot ai won't fight this, but if he does you can temporarily disableAI PATH on him and maybe even enableSimulation false on him) then when chopper close enough you stop setVelocityModelSpace and reenable pilot.  Hopefully you can then time the start of the village action to match when the helicopter arrives.

Another option that should always work is use unitCapture and unitPlay to record the chopper flight path and play it back in the mission.   You can end the recording when he is near LZ and let pilot take over, or actually record/play the landing too.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, johnnyboy said:

Another option that should always work is use unitCapture and unitPlay to record the chopper flight path and play it back in the mission.   You can end the recording when he is near LZ and let pilot take over, or actually record/play the landing too.

I used this idea of yours and now I have 4 recorded flypath + fire for 4 helis. But only one of the helis actually fire. The rest of them just fly on the recorded path. I run all four flypath parallel. Could this cause the fire problem?

This is one example. Heli2 fly perfectly, but never fire its pre-recorded weapons:

wp2 = [[0,[2397.83,4157.93,29.9788],[33.2783,-4.03115,0.0835703]]];
[heli2, wp2] spawn BIS_fnc_Unitplay;
cd2 = [[72.39,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[73.666,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[74.604,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[75.495,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[76.834,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[78.985,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[80.989,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[83.429,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[84.188,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[87.886,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"],[93.357,"vn_rocket_ffar_275in_launcher_m229"]];
[ heli2, cd2, true  ] spawn BIS_fnc_UnitPlayFiring;

I compiled this script in init.sqf, like this:

heli2flypath = compile preprocessfile "heli2flypath.sqf" ;

And run it in the mission from a triggered sqf like this:

nul = [] spawn heli1flypath; 
	nul = [] spawn heli2flypath; 
	nul = [] spawn heli3flypath;  
	nul = [] spawn heli4flypath;

Have you any idea why only one of them use its rocket launcher?

7 hours ago, bardosy said:

Have you any idea why only one of them use its rocket launcher?

I don't know.  But I think you can get the gunners to fire in other ways.  Reveal and assign targets to them.  Maybe the useWeapon command...

New mission (Ride of the Valkyries) added for the first post.

• Like 2

Hey  @johnnyboy ! Could you please help me? I made this last mission of mine: Ride of Valkyries and there is some AI glitch in there. My guess it's the crop/vegetation again (same as in rice paddles). But it's not block the AI to move, but to "detect enemies".

If you try my mission, in the first few minutes a Huey insert you into a "village" (few huts and some crop fields) and then I spawn enemies on the boundaries of the village (around some huts). Those VC-s really try to kill you, they fight properly. Some other VCs are spawned on the other side of the village and they also fight properly. But every VC (or US) AI went on that crop field where you landed, they became "drunk" or coward. They didnt see me as enemy. Even my US AI soldiers didnt shoot them. When I left those crops my AI and enemy AI fight aggressively. But not on that crop field.

First I thought my CPU is too weak (in the older Armas the AI act dumb if the CPU was weak and now I have some cooling problem in my PC, so sometimes it has a lower performance). But now two different independent player report the same issue. It's fortunately not a showstopper, because you can easily kill them, but it's strange. If I didnt see your solution to the rice paddle and other comments about how SOG map is AI unfriendly, I thought it's just mystery. But now I suspicious. Maybe there is an invisible crop what block the visuals of the AI?

Could you please check those fields?

12 hours ago, bardosy said:

But every VC (or US) AI went on that crop field where you landed, they became "drunk" or coward. They didnt see me as enemy. Even my US AI soldiers didnt shoot them. When I left those crops my AI and enemy AI fight aggressively. But not on that crop field.

Is the respawn point the same as this crop field?  If so, I think the game engine is protecting the respawn point so all units friendly while in the respawn area.  Try moving the respawn point.

I'm enjoying this mission by BTW.  To spice up the hospital defenders, you could put some guys in windows and/or on roof and use my old simple up/down script.  

I really liked the infil with the other helis launching rockets.  How did you end up solving your multiple assault helicopter problem and get them all to fire rockets on enemy?

To spice up infil, you could add some boat traffic near village also.

OK, I'm off to finish this cool mission!  (I just cleared the hospital, and will now chase the commander).

• Like 1

Is the respawn point the same as this crop field?  If so, I think the game engine is protecting the respawn point so all units friendly while in the respawn area.  Try moving the respawn point.

As I mention in the other post: if I made a new, small sample mission without any respawn point, the glitch is still there. I will try to detect the objects on that field and delete it (as you did in the rice puddle script), but currently I dont know what is the name of the object/class there. How did you detect the names of the object type around the rice puddle?

I'm enjoying this mission by BTW.  To spice up the hospital defenders, you could put some guys in windows and/or on roof and use my old simple up/down script.  

Thanks! The problem with this are the arrogant Huey pilots. They can detect (even now) the VC inside the building and rocket them. And this destroy the ground level of the hospital, so you cannot enter. It's an annoying showstopper. I put a trigger what detect if the hospital is damaged enough and then trigger kill every VC inside, so the task will complete (without the fun), but at least not stop the mission. So I am affraid if I put VCs on the window, the Huey pilot became more aggressive.

I really liked the infil with the other helis launching rockets.  How did you end up solving your multiple assault helicopter problem and get them all to fire rockets on enemy?

Thanks for all the suggestion for this critical point of mission. It's only looks good, because you showed me the right direction.

Before I adopt your idea to record the flys, the AI fly with the hueys and there was a trigger near the village what force the pilot to fire the rocketlaunchers. So I put this script back. It not as cool as I did during record my fly, but still looks good.

Very good idea! I will.

OK, I'm off to finish this cool mission!  (I just cleared the hospital, and will now chase the commander).

I hope your Workshop upgraded the mission, because yesterday evening (in european time) players reported a showstopper (player can stuck in an artillery cannon), but I fixed that immediately.

In America we have a saying:  "If you can't beat them, join them".

Since its a map bug (and who knows if it will ever be fixed), I suggest you place some elephant grass around this position in your mission.  Then the bad behavior will make sense. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

In America we have a saying:  "If you can't beat them, join them".

Since its a map bug (and who knows if it will ever be fixed), I suggest you place some elephant grass around this position in your mission.  Then the bad behavior will make sense. 

I think this philosophy is very true in Arma since OFP. As a mission makers we had to make many compromises.

It's not a bug, its a feature!  Haha. 😀

• Haha 1

I did it yesterday. I even add boat traffic for the starting island.

I found a few little bugs and fixed it. But somehow the last assault became too hard. So many NVA come... I only tested it by a friend and two real players can solve it (not easy, but not so terrible than alone). So I will modify this part to make it easier if player is alone. I only could complete it, I know where is the trigger what activate Bravo 4 support team, so I left my AIs behind to fight with a huge enemy forces and run forward to the trigger, so Bravo 4 could help us. 🙂

• Like 1

Cracking good missions sir, House of Clowns Dedicated server using all 5,

Finished the SAR with a win. the Alamo mission said we had succeeded but didn't end? not sure what we were supposed to do.

One request; is it possible to have a limited Virtual Arsenal with the Ammo crate, or an option the disable it, some Clowns are using modern weapons & equipment loadouts.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 11:59 AM, jgaz-uk said:

Cracking good missions sir, House of Clowns Dedicated server using all 5,

Finished the SAR with a win. the Alamo mission said we had succeeded but didn't end? not sure what we were supposed to do.

One request; is it possible to have a limited Virtual Arsenal with the Ammo crate, or an option the disable it, some Clowns are using modern weapons & equipment loadouts.

Sorry for the late answer, I didnt see your comment before (forum didnt notice me).

In the Alamo mission, there come a napalm strike by a F4 plane (it's triggered by timeout) and after that the mission should ended. Did you see this napalm strike? (there is a radio chetter before this happen).

I suggest to update the mission, because in the new version there is a limitation in Arsenal to use only Vietnam weapons. But I will double check it this evening.

@jgaz-uk I checked 4 crate at the base (where the mission begin) and 1 crate at the Alamo FOB what support Arsenal, but all is limited (white listed) for only vietnam era weapons. Where was that crate where those guys take modern weapons?

My only guess you have the first version from Steam Workshop, because in the first version all the Arsenal crates was not white-listed so you could pick modern weapons.

Hey Bardosy, I hope you are having a good summer.  I just replayed your Boots For Walking mission using my new SOG AI mod. Its for single-player use, and your missions work great for it.  The mod replaces your AI respawn with my AI revive, and allows much more cleaner and immersive control of your AI squad.  Should be fun for all your missions except maybe the Alamo, because AI is not great at path finding in a base.  Give it a try and comment on Steam if you have time.

• Like 3

Hi Bardosy!  I've changed SOG AI so that units that join player squad later in mission are under control of SOG AI. So this fixes the problem in your great Search and Rescue mission where the rescued pilots that join team did not obey SOG AI wheel menu commands.  Thanks for reporting that problem.   

Next I hope to improve bridge crossing for AI (so we won't have to do that teleport fix you put in SAR).