RabidStoat

CfgWeapons and custom variants of base classes

Hi guys, 
Building myself a custom faction. Used to use Alive to create the configs, however the way they set loadouts makes it awkward to do minor edits to units for missions.
So I set about translating and Alive config into a Vanilla config.
The learning curve was steep; I've now read the encoding guide and inheritance guide 'til I'm cross-eyed.
My Faction now shows in Eden. The vehicles have all inherited and show up with the correct crews; editor categories are working; identities function properly....

missing "\cfgWeapons."

Bugger.
I'm trying to create custom classes based on the MX family. I have cfgWeapons.hpp set up and listed directly below cfgPatches in the config.cpp. I've inherited from the vanilla base class and defined what I want in linkedItemsMuzzle/Optics/Acc. No luck. This has also caused the backpacks defined in cfgVehicles to disappear.
Could anyone shed some light on what I've screwed up please? The one guy I'd succeeded in wheedling into error-checking for me couldn't see why it wasn't working so I've now run head first into a wall on this. I'm quite happy to share a link to my WIP folder if anyone would be generous enough to take a peek?

6 hours ago, RabidStoat said:

Hi guys, 
Building myself a custom faction. Used to use Alive to create the configs, however the way they set loadouts makes it awkward to do minor edits to units for missions.
So I set about translating and Alive config into a Vanilla config.
The learning curve was steep; I've now read the encoding guide and inheritance guide 'til I'm cross-eyed.
My Faction now shows in Eden. The vehicles have all inherited and show up with the correct crews; editor categories are working; identities function properly....

Bugger.
I'm trying to create custom classes based on the MX family. I have cfgWeapons.hpp set up and listed directly below cfgPatches in the config.cpp. I've inherited from the vanilla base class and defined what I want in linkedItemsMuzzle/Optics/Acc. No luck. This has also caused the backpacks defined in cfgVehicles to disappear.
Could anyone shed some light on what I've screwed up please? The one guy I'd succeeded in wheedling into error-checking for me couldn't see why it wasn't working so I've now run head first into a wall on this. I'm quite happy to share a link to my WIP folder if anyone would be generous enough to take a peek?

Post your config...

Also, try running a search in cfgWeapons for "." (minus the " obviously). Chances are you have a errant . somewhere instead of a , or a ;

My work folder can be found here; as I have the config broken up by section it'd be one hell of a long post to include it all. 
I've searched the cfgWeapons for . with zero results.

I do wonder if the fact that I've got the config separated out is what's causing the issue, but I've never seen it cause a problem before.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, RabidStoat said:

[...]

I do wonder if the fact that I've got the config separated out is what's causing the issue, but I've never seen it cause a problem before.

I think the problem is more likely to be

item="[]";

in several of the linked item arrays.

I'd remove the []...

I'll give it a shot, thanks

--UPDATE--

The units now spawn in holding their 2ry weapon. I've solved the backpack issue that I forgot to mention, but I still get the same error. The units DO load with the base class that the rifles should be inheriting from though. Should I be listing the new weapons that I am creating in the classes section of cfgVehicles maybe?

Edited by RabidStoat
update

On 6/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, RabidStoat said:

[...]

The units now spawn in holding their 2ry weapon. I've solved the backpack issue that I forgot to mention, but I still get the same error. The units DO load with the base class that the rifles should be inheriting from though

[...]

Try adding

baseWeapon = "YourNewClassname";

into each weapon class where "YourNewClassname" is the name of the new weapon-class you're creating.

I screwed something up, didn't need the baseweapon section after all. Units now back to just holding the inherited weapon. This is maddening.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, RabidStoat said:

I screwed something up, didn't need the baseweapon section after all. Units now back to just holding the inherited weapon. This is maddening.

If you don't mind doing so, perhaps its worth posting your config for us to check out. At present it is just guess work, at least if we see the code first-hand we can at least get a better picture of what is going on...

On 6/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, RabidStoat said:

Every time I make an edit I update the files here. They include everything that goes into my mod, I just pack the local copy of that folder into a pbo and drop it in my mod folder.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, RabidStoat said:

Every time I make an edit I update the files here. They include everything that goes into my mod, I just pack the local copy of that folder into a pbo and drop it in my mod folder.

Not entirely sure how I forgot about that, my apologies. I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out...

Many thanks. I'm almost at the point of giving in and using vanilla setups, I can't get it to work no matter what I do