1LT D. Repo

ARMAHOLIC website not working

There are probably a lot of missions and addons out there which are not on the missing files list.

Like there were addons at armaholic listed but hosted externally, like at OFPEC or Kronzky's website.

And some files failed to download while we were at it for other reasons like invalid session or blocked for duplicate file requests.

Well, has been a interesting journey so far.

First,  i received no email.

Second,
What im trying to do now is to create some 'definitive'  filename list of addons, and mpmissions.
i'm using the categories from armaholic, and use their contents for this list. As there is no 'official index' of released addons  (aside from the initial ArmaHolic index)- i will use the info from config.cpp (classname) as unique-id. im in the process of writing a parser that extracts zip/7z/rar files,  dissect the pbo and grab the classname - or in case of a mission, the missionname.

This approach allows us to detect new or repacked addons or missions, or even mission/addon-folders. Unfortunatly i cannot detect for which game a pbo is, so there will be some manual labor left to do.
Eventually, im aiming for a online searchable index of mission/addon names ( with magnetlinks ).  There will be a updated version of the MIA-scanner script, which will help fill the database, and find missing files.

As an addition to this database, will be a simple yet configurable filehosting 'mirror' using torrents. a very easy deployable package can turn a 25$ singleboard computer, with a harddisk @ size of your choice into a instant filemirror that doesnt need any administration.

• Like 7

On 6/1/2021 at 6:26 PM, EO said:

Statues will be built for you guys. ^^

they shall be erected to both sides of that of Bushlurker´s.

• Like 2

Imho, the overall problem stays unsolved:

Make the content access not dependable on sites which can vanish without any notice.

The reason why I decided, 2 years ago, to download/upload files on Steam workshop only.

I'm aware of the difficulty for finding very old addons but that could be great to upload them on Steam, if permissions are granted...

• Like 1

Well, quite obviously it's not possible for A1/A2 addons - and IMO saving these seems to be the most important task right now. Afterall, most of the A3 stuff available on Armaholic, was already on Workshop too.

46 minutes ago, krzychuzokecia said:

Well, quite obviously it's not possible for A1/A2 addons - and IMO saving these seems to be the most important task right now. Afterall, most of the A3 stuff available on Armaholic, was already on Workshop too.

My guess would be it is possible to upload A1/A2/OA addons onto A3 Workshop. I doubt the Publisher (A3 Tool for publishing stuff onto workshop) has some feature that checks if you're uploading A2 .pbo for example. I also doubt A1/A2/OA/A3 .pbo's are any different from each other. For example terrain addons made for A1/A2 tend to work just fine if simply put into A3.

The user could then use something like https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/ to download A1/A2/OA stuff from A3's Steam Workshop.

It would be kinda strange to flood A3's Workshop with A1/A2/OA stuff, but technically the addons should be compatible with A3 (I think). You'd just lack the dependencies of those A1/A2/OA addons.

• Like 1

@foxhound This sucks, but is understandable. BIS and its community owes you a debt of gratitude. Thanks for All you did sense 2006! If it weren't for you and supporting the modding community. Honestly doubt I would have made it past OFPCWC. Thanks 🙂

• Like 4

We have a collapsed building which we want it as it was ... and we are talking about its initial builder instead of working rebuild it ... 

3 hours ago, Αplion said:

We have a collapsed building which we want it as it was ... and we are talking about its initial builder instead of working rebuild it ... 

You should read my posts!

But to keep you & others up to speed, i am working on something that as of now has a name!

Bidentify ( Pronounced: Bee-Eye-dentify ) 
A file identification utility-suite for detecting,finding and archiving usergenerated content for Bohemia Interactive games.

The Bidentify-client is a commandline tool to scan, detect & identify Addons and Missions archives, folders or .pbo's

The Bidentify-server is the database/web-backend for use with the bidentify-client,bidentify-node,bidentify-vault.
The Bidentify-node is a Torrent based file-archive that seeds files ( limited to specific size) which are listed in the Bidentify server of your choice.

The Bidentify-vault is a Torrent based file-archive that archives and seeds (ALL!) files which are listed in the Bidentify-server. This package is for dedicated librarians who want to preserve and longterm seed all data on the Bidentify server of your choice. 

-----------

Im very close to a initial usable version of the Bidentify-client, that detects files based on the armaholic MIA file. 
More functionality is planned, like the Bidentify-node & Bidentify-vault, and more intelligent detection for Bidentity-client like  Unpacked-addon/mission-detection, hashdetection, version-detection and pbo-inspection.  

Stay tuned!

• Like 10

On 6/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Mega my friend https://mega.io/

Free account gives you 50GB and you can do it from your desktop too.

Thanks very much Gunter i really appreceate it ,i`m going to upload A3 mods now 😉

• Like 1

Fox why did you fall in love now?? it`s bad for you and for us too , 🙂 you should at least let us download all files then you may fall in love ,have fun,marry,have kids and perhaps become rich and famous too hehe,,seriously now last week i uninstalled my arma2co which runs super on my pc much better then arma3 ,you guys are tempting me to reinstall it again.I found very few a3 addons and mods online,I don`t like steam,,armaholic was the best ,hope this mess get`s fixed somehow and thanks to all who are contacting the old Fox and to all who work to keep the arma series alive,people like Jerry Hopper,MarineRecon191,Gunter Severloh and others 😉 

10 hours ago, jerryhopper said:

You should read my posts!

But to keep you & others up to speed, i am working on something that as of now has a name!

Bidentify ( Pronounced: Bee-Eye-dentify ) 
A file identification utility-suite for detecting,finding and archiving usergenerated content for Bohemia Interactive games.

The Bidentify-client is a commandline tool to scan, detect & identify Addons and Missions archives, folders or .pbo's

The Bidentify-server is the database/web-backend for use with the bidentify-client,bidentify-node,bidentify-vault.
The Bidentify-node is a Torrent based file-archive that seeds files ( limited to specific size) which are listed in the Bidentify server of your choice.

The Bidentify-vault is a Torrent based file-archive that archives and seeds (ALL!) files which are listed in the Bidentify-server. This package is for dedicated librarians who want to preserve and longterm seed all data on the Bidentify server of your choice. 

-----------

Im very close to a initial usable version of the Bidentify-client, that detects files based on the armaholic MIA file. 
More functionality is planned, like the Bidentify-node & Bidentify-vault, and more intelligent detection for Bidentity-client like  Unpacked-addon/mission-detection, hashdetection, version-detection and pbo-inspection.  

Stay tuned!

I'm reading your posts as every post in this thread ... I was not talking about you Jerry ... 

59 minutes ago, Αplion said:

I'm reading your posts as every post in this thread ... I was not talking about you Jerry ... 

You may wish to say who the posts are aimed at, otherwise some community members may misunderstand. Like the above case.

57 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

You may wish to say who the posts are aimed at, otherwise some community members may misunderstand. Like the above case.

You are right, I was not clear ... my post was aiming for all those people here posting just for what happened, criticizing at same time Foxhound, instead focusing of what some other guys doing to solve the issue.

My apologies for been not clear enough.

• Like 2

Since i havent got any reply, lets talk about the elephant in the room.

1- Who has contacted  foxhound

2- Got a reply from foxhound

3- Who offered money to foxhound

4- How much money did you offer to foxhound

5- Who got any reply on its offer?

• Like 2

Im gonna try save up for a external hardrive with a ton of space so i can backup all the non steam mods i have so i dont lose them if my PC decides to say goodnight cause i have an insane and very unorganised amount of mods stored both on my ssd and 2 flashdrives🤣 so i better do some summercleanup soon so i have it all in a safe place but it will take a while cause im a lil broke rn XD

4 hours ago, -RaG- said:

Im gonna try save up for a external hardrive with a ton of space

A couple of TB should suffice, and preferably on an SSD which is more reliable then a disc spinning in a case, no moving parts with SSD.

4 hours ago, -RaG- said:

but it will take a while cause im a lil broke rn XD

No work or job?

Key thing is not how much you make, but what you save.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jerryhopper said:

Since i havent got any reply, lets talk about the elephant in the room.

1- Who has contacted  foxhound

2- Got a reply from foxhound

3- Who offered money to foxhound

4- How much money did you offer to foxhound

5- Who got any reply on its offer?

Me. Never got any reply in like a week now.

1 hour ago, -RaG- said:

Im gonna try save up for a external hardrive with a ton of space so i can backup all the non steam mods i have so i dont lose them if my PC decides to say goodnight cause i have an insane and very unorganised amount of mods stored both on my ssd and 2 flashdrives🤣 so i better do some summercleanup soon so i have it all in a safe place but it will take a while cause im a lil broke rn XD

If money is a problem for you but bandwith not, upload your stuff to a remote storage (google drive, onedrive, Dropbox, Mega etc). Jerry and me grab them and keep them safe and warm. Storage ain't a problem here.
That would save you until you can afford another drive.

blurp!  

This is for the brave and courageous:

pre-release https://github.com/jerryhopper/bidentify-client/releases/tag/0.02

This replaces the initial (dumb) script provided earlier in this thread. this application is more accurate.

Usage instructions : https://github.com/jerryhopper/bidentify-client

upload functionality is coming soon!

• Like 4

And Scotland is the end of the world. No mobile internet, no WLAN, no nothing. Heard otherwise, but mkay.

I'm more interested in what progress you made, rather than telling us that we can wait until the end of days until he responds to his (former) friends.

Sorry, but meanwhile I presume he doesn't have the files anymore. Which is why we better continue with Plan B.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

A couple of TB should suffice, and preferably on an SSD which is more reliable then a disc spinning in a case, no moving parts with SSD.

No work or job?

Key thing is not how much you make, but what you save.

Oh yeah i work just not that good at saving but im getting there, but ill see if i find some nice ssd instead thanks for the advice 

1 hour ago, W0lle said:

And Scotland is the end of the world.

Yep, I read through the thread and that about sums it up..

I have found a few old Arma files on an old HDD. I am uploading it to a Mega folder, I will then link it to see if there is anything useful there. I found things like the old Baghdad mod and Podagorsk. I even have the 0.42 version of the ADF Uncut mod. As well as the RDS Static weapons pack.

Here is the link. I have uploaded quite a few old files. Might be a few gems in here.

https://mega.nz/folder/IhJRmQzD#FpLgaqrldueA6bPM0ioWMg

• Like 2