1LT D. Repo

ARMAHOLIC website not working

Thats indeed very sad news, been a regular user of AO since 2006.
Hope Foxhound is all right and that all get sortet out, in a good spirit.

A sad and brutal day! Like Scapa Flow 1919, such a great loss of material suddenly just gone. Tens and tens of thousands of hours of work. Work put in by dedicated modders many of whom are no longer active in Arma. Excluding the workshop of course some material may still exist on moddb and scripts on github. But for the most part they're gone. Like all those great scripts created by George Floros for example, all hosted on Armaholic. All the Q&A linked to Armaholic. Searches in Google for editing info and all the user created missions and campaigns that use assets from Armaholic that are not available on the workshop and so on and so on. It would take months, years more like to salvage even some of those scripts and compile them somewhere again. Some might say much of the material on Armaholic was obsolete anyway... Brutal day in the Armaverse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just realized after responding to a post on my AI Compilation list seen here

That all the addons, mods, and scripts section of the thread are now ... you guessed it Fubar ....FUCK!

Ya most .. about 98/99% of the mods, scripts on the list were hosted and linked to Armaholic, this

is also the same situation as my Arma2OA Ai Compilation list which is linked at the top of that thread.

@W0lle Were you able to get a hold of Foxhound through email, and ask him if he has archived or

has all the files for everything from Armaholic stashed somewhere?

Aside myself there are a couple of others who would help set something up to have all the missions, mods, scripts, ect,.

setup again somewhere, heck even if we could access the ...site and run it, i mean the Armaholic Domain is now taken but

im sure we could come up with a name similar we could still get a domain cheap.

i have a domain name for my website my missionrepository.com, costs me about $30 a year plus since i've owned it, it grows in value.

Seriously the community needs those files, obviously their not Foxhound's property its the communities property to an extent through

the games of course so BI im sure could have some say in it, but all that content cant be gone, we need to reestablish a new site, or at least

a place to download the files.

Not everyone likes Steam workshop and besides the workshop is for Arma3 only anyways, consider all the other games.

If we need to raise some funds, or set something up then i think we can do that, but

we need to first know that all the files are still availible

and if we can get permissions if need be to access them,

and then figure out where to put them all, or use the existing setup.

Please! We cannot lose that content!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

@W0lle Were you able to get a hold of Foxhound through email, and ask him if he has archived or

has all the files for everything from Armaholic stashed somewhere?

I sent him an email yesterday to that joocoo.nl address, he hasn't replied yet. Either doesn't bother anymore, or got more mails than expected.

Have only little content stored locally, and only from Arma2. Maybe not even 1% of what was on armaholic. Who could have seen that drama coming.

As Whirlybirds said, there's a hell lot of stuff gone forever probably. I really hope Fox gets back to us and hand over what he got. 😞

• Like 2

That's a sad news.

We were still using it actively since it's easier for us who are using arma3sync and maintaining a repository 😞

Still cant believe that this happened. All those day all those mods now ll remain in memories?! (

@Gunter Severloh

You let me know ASAP if you get something working, I have a ton of George’s work that NEEDS to be put back up for the community to enjoy.

Anything else I can find I will also send. We all need to come together to keep this history and wealth of knowledge available. 

• Like 4

I am so happy arma has such a tight knit community i dont play as often as i mainly am a console gamer but it is one of my top games on PC and armaholic has been my most used mod file website for finding mods since i started playing arma 2 then 3 back in 2014

I never expected this thread to take off like this and it warms my heart seeing all the people with experience comming together in an attempt to save these files and the hard work of all these modders some of witch unfortunatly are not with us anyomore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W0lle said:

joocoo.nl

I have ping that adresse....and i got a Request timed out.

Now i worry that youres E-mail or all E-mails that users send to him not arrive

Maybe my knowledge is bad about webservers and websides but i think now thats a bad signal if a request time out its....Are you sure that youres E-Mail sendet?

Old, but still golden! 

PS: I did a attempt to contact to takeover/archive the armaholic content.   no reply yet.  #dontgiveuphope

• Like 5

I just had a thought, other then Foxhound, who else ran Armaholic that is on these forums too?

I know and think there were two others, i forget the one guy's name but maybe if we can contact him either the forums here,

or email if he has one we can get some info on what maybe happened, and well the most important part ... The Files!

Anyone?

I already host armedassault.info & ofpr.info addons for historical purposes (site is read-only),  and i would be happy to archive the Armaholic stuff for the same reasons.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, jerryhopper said:

PS: I did a attempt to contact to takeover/archive the armaholic content.   no reply yet.  #dontgiveuphope

good luck bro, tho i have read bad things on twitter ^^

52 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

who else ran Armaholic

DarkXess

I think he’s on the forums?

Can’t think of any others... 

• Like 1

Can't recall the name of the other guy, but he was gone many years ago already so I guess he wouldn't be any great help.

Former staff member was BIG, last active long time ago. Most probably has no backup - if he ever had one.

However, the website and forums are archived by the great Wayback machine. So at least what was posted in the forums is still there.

Edited by W0lle
Link to BIGs profile added
  • Like 6

As English is not my native language I might not be able to make myself clear enough ... but please don't misunderstood my words here.

Foxhound has made his choice and his position is fairly clear. He can't afford paying for armaholic so he stopped support it but still he is selling its database for anyone want it back.

By my side,  armaholic was contempt by the time decided to live based on payments and contributions ... but this is my opinion only.

Now to the fact ... we all get upset as we lost a source of knowledge and a site that was a companion for many years. But what we really want is a site that will gather all this spread knowledge which already exists in this forum and place it on categories easier accessible for anyone who want to find answers to his problem or question. I'm I wrong on that ? Is there any chance to have something like that ? don't know ... just thinking for the moment ... as, I'm sure, most of you doing also.

Again, please don't misunderstood my words ... but lets be honest between us.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Αplion said:

Now to the fact ... we all get upset as we lost a source of knowledge and a site that was a companion for many years. But what we really want is a site that will gather all this spread knowledge which already exists in this forum and place it on categories easier accessible for anyone who want to find answers to his problem or question. I'm I wrong on that ? Is there any chance to have something like that ? don't know ... just thinking for the moment ... as, I'm sure, most of you doing also.

While I agree with you, I used it for the mods. It wasn't like the steam workshop where you had limits on how much or what you could upload, as well as some mods that weren't on the workshop, IIRC there was an Australian ARMA 3 mod, which you can't find normally. Not to mention all the scenarios and scripts.

• Like 1

Unless there's some info I'm not privy to, maybe let's not get the rumour mill going like crazy saying that Fox wants to "sell" the database. "Offers and enquries" mentioned in his Twitter post doesn't sound to me as being of monetary value. The situation is weird enough without reading too much between the lines.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarineRecon191 said:

While I agree with you, I used it for the mods. It wasn't like the steam workshop where you had limits on how much or what you could upload, as well as some mods that weren't on the workshop, IIRC there was an Australian ARMA 3 mod, which you can't find normally. Not to mention all the scenarios and scripts.

I'll not argue with you on that. But still the majority of mods are not so big that will raise steam limitations. On any case, I accept that many players are not prefer steam, so fine by me. But still this is not the point as I don't think that anyone can keep alive a server with all mods, since OFP, uploaded for users. At least not without a significant cost.

• Like 2

I see what you mean, and I agree. It's sad that the reason it got shut down was money but I guess that's how life works.

• Like 1

Of course he can do with his website whatever he wants. But:

He knew very well that armaholic was hosting a lot of unique files which are long time gone elsewhere. If you want to call it like that: He was hosting the memories and history of Arma back to the Arma1 release. At the very least he could have mentioned that he has enough and will close the site in xx weeks.
This way, everyone would have the chance to get what was important to him. Leaving us behind like this, with a 'slap in the face' for many of his loyal visitors is just not fair. That's not the Foxhound I knew for years. And it makes me sad to see that he obviously knows what's going on here but yet doesn't bother to talk to us.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

^^ this mirrors my thoughts exactly, I'm glad someone with a real Arma history has said these words that needed to be said.

• Like 5