1LT D. Repo

ARMAHOLIC website not working

Last time I accessed ArmAholic was last Sunday the 23rd. It was still up during the last weekend. Seems I've done my last download  from that site. If it's gone forever than this is a sad day for me indeed. Most addons I use are installed manually downloaded mostly from ArmAholic. This is just bad.

I hope that Foxhound can give us an explanation to what really happened to his site.

Cheers

• Like 7

4 hours ago, nettrucker said:

Last time I accessed ArmAholic was last Sunday the 23rd. It was still up during the last weekend. Seems I've done my last download  from that site. If it's gone forever than this a sad day for me indeed. Most addons I use are installed manually downloaded mostly from ArmAholic. This is just bad.

I hope that Foxhound can give us an explanation to what really happened to his site.

Cheers

Yeah indeed.I started to take my workshop mods out of their numbered folders and name them "@" whatever", then manually install them.

RIP a wealth of info,threads,scripts mods there that you literally wont find anywhere else. 

• Like 3

The demise of Armaholic is not just sad - it's a blow to the legacy of Arma 1 and Arma 2 modding scene, which now is lost to the history, and soon will become forgotten "like tears in rain". In many cases Armaholic was the only place were this content was available, and for the stuff that was also hosted by other sites... well, those alternative hosts don't exist/work anymore too.

Reading that Twitter post, there's glimmer of hope that the data is safe with Foxhound, he's just unable to host it anymore. I only hope that Foxhound himself is allright - as other said, the sudden disappearance of Armaholic, with no warning, makes me think that problem is much more serious than just "no cash for hosting". Afterall, even with OFPR.info the admins made community aware that time's up, which allowed people to set up several backups - Armaholic being one of them too!

• Like 10

Armaholic wasn't just a good resource and mods site for Arma games, it was Arma.

I'm very sad to see it go.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, krycek said:

Armaholic wasn't just a good resource and mods site for Arma games, it was Arma.

I'm very sad to see it go.

I agree 100% 

Just created this, thought it was fitting 😄

although its not really a joking matter, but i feel that something good can come out of this

remember back when OFP.info site was shutdown, or was closed, well the community

stood up and the torch was relit and carried on.

dF6dsGCh.jpg

I wonder if there is a possability to get access to all the files of the site, if there is, then maybe a few of us in the

community can setup a site, or a place where all the files can be accessed by the rest of the community in a manner

that will at least keep the files out there so the public can download them.

i would seriously hate to see all the content just vanish into nothing, there is alot of great stuff that

was on Armaholic that you cannot, and will not get anywhere else, why Armaholic was the go to for everything

Arma.  This is .... Arma!

Btw Foxhound is still around he was last on yesterday so, i can only guess hes seen this thread, but i would

really like to hear what he has to say, he is the man that ran the show in the community!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I've was looking at hosting sites on the IPFS network. Services like Fleek dot co provide a free tier service that automates the process and lets you host a site on the IPFS network with automated SSL certs and custom domains using free options like afraid.org. The only issue being that it has to be a static site, so you have to use something like Gatsby or Jekyl. What interests me about this is that is zero cost and resilient as it is backed by a decentralised network. You can do it manually without using Fleek but it requires more work to configure. Do we know what the space requirements would be to replicate the Armaholic data?

• Like 1

If at all possible,i think it would be big and fitting for Bohemia themeselves to step in and in some way resurrect ,if not the site itself,all of its content and host it on a new topic forum of the official forums site.

I cant imagine they themeselves are happy to hear this news.Perhaps we should partition them to?In order to keep ,as was said,previous modded Arma content alive.

• Like 4

I really hope the community will come together and light the torch so that our favorite mods from the past and present can survive cause as a gamer having access to these online is important cause harddrives obviosly dont last forever and online websites keeping the files ready for download so that all the arma gamers can access the amazing content made thruout the nearly 20 years of armaholic 

• Like 1

I agree with more or less everything said in the thread.

It is very sad to see AH go, but sometimes running something like this can be very stressful in time and money. Also as said before here, the health of a person or people running sites like these must be thought about and we wish them the best for the future.

We run a private group member site around a mod, it's very small but we have a large archive and many members have similar archives of ofp-arma-arma2-arma3 mods, addons, scripts + full conversion mods etc.

But the thing foxhound did was keep it all updated very professionally. There was/is everything on there (more or less) that players, that want to fiddle about modding the series, needed.

We can but hope it survives somehow.

BI, looking at you to help, AH helped you more than you probably think, keeping the series alive. Time to give back.

It was a good forum to.

ArmedAssault was another good place.

Such a shame and very sad.

• Like 4

Worth noting that Fox has asked people not to contact him via the BI forums - only via the email he linked.

unknown.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, -Joe- said:

Worth noting that Fox has asked people not to contact him via the BI forums - only via the email he linked.

Thats sad like ive said before i hope someone contacts him and gets the rights or whatever needed to keep armaholic up an running in some form again

• Like 1

I sent him a message yesterday and I seriously hope he will get back to me. I would be really disappointed if he doesn't.

As for 'sent enquiries and offers to...' He can't sell the content that was hosted on Armaholic, because he didn't made it. It's not his property.

If he must end it like this, then at least give the addons and mission away so the community can continue somehow.

• Like 8

I hope the stuff in AH can reupload on MODDB like playwithsix

51 minutes ago, W0lle said:

He can't sell the content that was hosted on Armaholic, because he didn't made it. It's not his property.

The value would be in his Archivist work, not in the documents as such.

• Like 2

I am really sad about the end...

I watch everday on armaholic, i was plan to reinstall arma2 with mods again, but that plan its now dead coz armaholic its closed now... For me and how i see was armaholic for much from us a not only a side where mods are. Armaholic means for me more then just arma3 mods, and sripts too.... Soo many are now lost what a very black day for the complett Arma history and communty... 😞

I have not think that armaholic dead or not see if it comes arma4. Its it really shit right now..

And i hope someone can take armaholic if it Fox not more want.

I wish really too like many others he tell us what happend or whats the Problem maybe found then we the communty a way too...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vigil Vindex said:

Do we know what the space requirements would be to replicate the Armaholic data?

Think we'd be looking at Terabytes in size, maybe even a Petabyte i can only guess, for the amount of content that was stored, i mean Armaholic had

Arma1, Arma2, Arma2oa, Arma 3, and OFP too i think.

Thats missions, mods, and scripts, although mods would take up most of the space, most missions are less then a mb to a few

depending, and scripts were always small.

1 hour ago, -Joe- said:

Worth noting that Fox has asked people not to contact him via the BI forums

I dont understand why, i can see being tired of doing what he has done for many years, but it sounds like he has grievances, idk

i dont want to assume, Foxhound is and was a tough, professional guy, i've had countless conversations with him through pm on his site.

I'll miss the guy, but i suppose i can send him an email too if he dont mind.

I just feel that just shutting down, and saying a couple of things is not the way to leave a community you've dedicated 10+ yrs of your life of

a good farewell and a light conversation, a whats next for you type of thing to me at least would allow "closure" if you will

dont want to sound like someone died but were talking about Armaholic here and Foxhound, lets not forget the others that helped him on the site too.

2 hours ago, WGP said:

we have a large archive

Nice! I dont know if some of you recall my work for the game (Arma2oa engine) Iron front: Liberation 1944

I still run and keep the site up for all the missions, scripts, ect,. for Iron front, my website https://www.MissionRepository.com

which is currently being mitigated to another host and is offline.

in my freetime i'm working on a new forum that is a port of the old Iron front Fan forums to a free forum, i dont want to lose the content

and history especially since i was part of it for many years. 

This is why i feel it would be a great loss to just let this go, if Foxhound is moving on thats his choice

all i can do is pat him on the back, and say thanks for being a friend through pm, and providing a great service to the Arma community!

If we let the files go, the work of many years of the community go to our memories, if we let this go then have failed as a community to keep

our heritage if you will, i know it sounds corny but seriously how many people here on the forum, who haven't heard the news yet, how many

Arma fans would be saddened to hear that Armaholic has shut down, losing that content is losing many years of Arma ingenuity and creativity,

heck i have many content on that site myself!

1 hour ago, W0lle said:

If he must end it like this, then at least give the addons and mission away so the community can continue somehow.

Yes! That is if he still has them, please find out if he does Wolle, i would help somehow if we can get the files, and host them somewhere.

I would think it be a waste the many Arma modders, mission makers, and scripters creative efforts/work to let it go, the newer generations of Arma fans

need to see the community's work, theres still alot of players out there that enjoy Arma1, Arma2, OA, and im sure would enjoy those mods,

missions and scripts for Arma 3 that are not on the workshop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Yes! That is if he still has them, please find out if he does Wolle, i would help somehow if we can get the files, and host them somewhere.

I would think it be a waste the many Arma modders, mission makers, and scripters creative efforts/work to let it go, the newer generations of Arma fans

need to see the community's work, theres still alot of players out there that enjoy Arma1, Arma2, OA, and im sure would enjoy those mods,

missions and scripts for Arma 3 that are not on the workshop.

I completely agree with you man, I still play ARMA 2 OA, and dearly love it. In some cases I even prefer it over ARMA 3!

• Like 3

I agree aswell the history and legacy of all these mods and their creators is really important for the future and current arma generations of players and vets to keep alive 

• Thanks 2

There’s just no way... I’ve used this site for years.

I still won’t believe it, this is nothing like foxhound who has helped countless mod creators alike share their work to the community of Arma.

If it is true, Damn. 

Hell, I’d probably drop my 24/7 ravage server just to fund a site. Or atleast try to help you boys get something up and running, I have a small little stash of AH scripts / mods but I’ll gladly give them to help you guys keep the history going!  

• Like 2

Sad day for the arma community everywhere, not just here.

Hope things are o.k. with foxhound.

We also have a large archive from armaholic, if it helps.

• Like 1

F*ck... Armaholic is dead(

For two days I could not get to this site, it turned out that he died...Catastrophe

I feel so sad, as if I had lost my friend, I can't believe that Armaholic no longer exists :(

I'm wondering where to all the archives of this site? There is a colossal amount of both data, for the entire community Arma1, Arma2, Arma3

I hope it will be revived on some other portal

• Sad 1