DSabre

Secret Weapons Reloaded

I don't know if this is of any use for you, but here is a shot of the P-40 from War Thunder. Not the most accurate game by far, but might be a decent reference to help with your issue?

uUmuFSe.png

https://imgur.com/o7dqMAO - Video

And then looking at helijah's model. Would it be possible to move the pilot up in the cockpit so you can see over the cowl, or raise the gunsight to accommodate if the pilot needs to sit lower?

6Ot99Gw.png

I'm sure you've looked at all this, just thought i'd try to help.

Actually, that did give me an idea. I could flatten the nose of Helijah's model. That way it may be possible to see where the bullets go

• Like 1

Engine cowling on the model seems to be the early Curtiss Model 81 "Tomahawk" (P-40 to P-40C) type on top, with the round carburettor intake scoop and nose-mounted machinegun ports either side. But the wrong radiator intake arrangement for an early P-40. Along with the two nose-mounted .50 cal MGs, they had four wing-mounted .30 cal MGs (or .303 for British ones)

The enlarged radiator scoop below the engine was a feature of the later Curtiss Model 87 "Kittyhawk"/"Warhawk" series aircraft (P-40D onwards). As shown on the picture above, the Model 87s had a redesigned carburettor intake scoop and no nose-mounted MGs since the aircraft changed to have all armament as wing-mounted .50 cals (usually 6 of them, but the first production runs of P-40D and P-40Ns had only 4).

Pic above is a P-40E or later, since the carburettor intake was a little further back from the prop spinner on the initial P-40D.

Merlin-engined versions like the P-40F didn't have a scoop on top of the cowling at all.

• Like 3

Thanks for that helpful info. The model is actually an E version. I projected plans onto the model and it fits pretty well except for the nose guns and intake scoop.

For the mod the nose section will be modified. To fix the aiming issue I remembered that we can simply delete the scoop in 1st person view.

Battle Hawks Update (partial)

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

v 0.0135

added P-38
changed IL2 PTAB to cluster system
added SW factions
other minor tweaks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fritz X update

v 0.014

added Ar 234
added He 177
added i16 (WIP Preview) as bonus

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Battle Hawks Update (partial)

v 0.015

added TBF

added P-40

updated i16

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work SAB !! thank you very much for your work , time and effort. 👍

That P-40 is gold !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dogone said:

That P-40 is gold !!

Really? Did not consider it anything special. I hope someone is gona make some extra liveries for it though. I have added a texture template on the front page

1 hour ago, DSabre said:

Really? Did not consider it anything special. I hope someone is gona make some extra liveries for it though. I have added a texture template on the front page

I'd have to agree it's a welcome sight, and pardon my ignorance of variants but would be easy to create a livery for North Africa or even as part of the lend-lease in the Eastern Front. Great job on pushing these updates out!

Sab, immense thanks for adding the P-40. My all time favorite warbird, I'll definitely be cranking out the skins for that one!

• Like 2

Got up early today and started something else

t3R9xeb.jpg

GEfssvu.jpg

nearly got it right on first try without too many faults

UmXW6DD.jpg

except for getting the wing texture projection distorted while closing geometry

(damn you shadow lod)

of course no backup before that step and the original file is 90° off so cant reimport that easily.
Probably going to project it onto the texture again which should work more or less.

vBtu3Cl.png

Mock up of turrets and bomb bay

Ltf2HvH.jpg

will have to do for now

qtDdFXL.jpg

30 seat capacitiy

added some simple formers and stringers so the interior does not look to bland

• Like 4

Can actually do massive para operations now as the Germans, pure god send Sab! Will there be a bomber version of the Fw-200 or will it be purely a transport?

Two versions:

jm0QVRt.jpg

unarmed paratrooper/ transport plane

(30 passenger seats and/or ViV)

Ltf2HvH.jpg

armed patrol bomber with no passenger capability

(perhaps I will keep the ViV on it so you could usi it to drop supply boxes)

• Like 2

Hi Sab,

I wanted to inquire about the bomb dropping method on the heavy bombers. Currently there is only one option to release all the bombs, but in the past you've allowed selections such as drop 1 bomb, drop 3 bombs, etc.

The ability to drop a limited amount of bombs is historically accurate on the B-17 for example, the bombardier had a device with a dial that selected how many bombs would be released. Are there plans to re-implement this feature?

Thank you.

I think keeping the VIV would be cool as it allows for I guess a larger supply plane to be used. Unless you're going to add the Luftwaffe's C-130, the Me 323 "Gigant" which would be pretty pog to see and would allow the transporting of heavy vehicles, trucks and even more men. 

This mod is not supposed to be historically accurate. It is strange that nobody ever complains about them having a prediction marker in the sight and  being a few orders of magnitude more precise than historically accurate.

If you really need something like that then press F to close the bay during release.

Well I think we all accept the prediction marker as an acceptable limitation of the game, it's just how the bomb sight works in ARMA. I was just mentioning that you used to have this and then removed it. No worries.

Ah I see. That's probably due to different perspective. From this point of view it was not removed but finally fixed.

Anyway, F key should work.

Hey Sab, were you planning on enabling the Ju 87 Stuka to be able to drop bombs one at a

time as per your comment on my SW mod page?

If you cant or unable to, can you tell me how i can do it?, as i looked through the configs and i cant for the life of me determine where

you have it set to drop 2 bombs at a time.

it should be like that since last patch 2 weeks ago

(keywords to look for in cfg.weapons are burst = 1; or burst = 2;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sab, and for the adjusting the canopy opening all the way too.

I haven't really tested nor played in since before your patch, been on my own projects but thanks again!

got stuck with the Fw 200 and the WB81.

Time to do something else in between:

hDaec2B.jpg

B5N reboot

GZNrgKp.jpg

texture and normal map update

00GPAKR.jpg

6feLRCU.jpg

r59UBEv.jpg

Simple interior and panel

v 0.016

added B5N
minor tweaks to TBF and Ju87 (wip WB81)

Edited by DSabre
  • Like 7

Hey Sab, love the new vics but I had a thought the other day. Have you ever thought of dabbling into ground vehicles? Tanks and all that?