bardosy

Eden without outside scripts

I'm not a big fan of 3D Eden editor (I do missions since 2001 in the flat 2D editor and write outside scripts), but now I decide I made a very simple, vietnam mission using only Eden editor. I failed. I already have more than ten outside sqf scripts in the folder. But I dont wanna fail, so I have a few questions, like "How to made this without sqf files, only in Eden?"

1. The most basic situation: player(s) arrive to a location (to a trigger) and mission create a squad of enemy and add WPs to them to attack the player(s). I didnt find a module for this. The most close stuff is a SOG onslaught module, but it always create a blueforce unit (even if I set it zero) and cannot be activate by a trigger. It would be great if I could activate and later deactivate by two trigger. (I know BIS_somesthing_spawn function, but it means I have to write scipt (not outside in an sqf file, but in a textbox, what is a nightmare to edit. So if this is the solution, I prefer outside sqf files.)
  2. Is the task create module system is still not work in MP missions and we have to use those 3rd party sciprts what handle MP/JIP?

It would be great to work only in an editor (and this is what other mission designers always asked from me), but I understand if Eden is not that editor. I didnt use it in the last two years, but SOG DLC made me active again, so I just ask you guys, maybe Eden is developed in the last two years. Thank you for your answers. Or any Eden tips.

Just use scripts. 3den is great though. When I was using VBS before ArmA got a 3D editor it was one of the features I wished that ArmA had more than anything. But it's no substitute for being able to rely on your own code in my opinion. Even the modules can be hit and miss, especially the BI ones when it comes to multilayer. I'll sometimes use a couple of them, but not often. 

And like you, I recently tried to make a quick and dirty editor co-op. But it didn't end up happening all that quickly and dirty lol.

As a bit of a compromise though, you can write your own modules. You're still scripting, but at least you (or anyone else) can easily drop them into a mission. 

• Like 1

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editor:_Layer

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getMissionLayerEntities (example 2)

qEu1gcc.jpeg

e.g. on Activation on Trigger (server-side only):

{
  _x enableSimulationGlobal true;
  _x hideObjectGlobal false;
  if (leader _x isEqualTo _x) then{
    ((waypoints _x) select 1) setWaypointPosition [getPos (selectRandom thisList),0]
  };
}forEach ((getMissionLayerEntities "NewAO") select 0);

Tasks are great AFAIK as long as you use the Tasks Functions:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Task_Framework

Edited by RCA3
added: (server-side only)
  • Thanks 1

@RCA3: Thanks for this! I made a few test with Layers yesterday. I think it's not what I was looking for, but it's very interesting and will be very useful in my future missions. Thanks again for share this information!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 1:48 AM, RCA3 said:

Hey @RCA3 !

I made 4 new missions with you advice (thanks). I use layers now.

I use this way as official manual said in your link:

2. Select all objects in that layer and uncheck Show Model and Enable Simulation in the attributes. In case of markers, set the Alpha value to 0

And in the first two missions it looks like works. I hide the objects in this way in the editor and make them live with script you mentioned. But I always make them live from far, so I never experienced they are really "hidden" before my trigger make them alive.

But in my last mission I put a 3 enemy to a landing zone and when player landed, I trigger to live a layer with another 3 enemies. Of course I unchecked the two checkbox in the editor. And I found out all 6 enemy is on the LZ. So I made a few tests and those two checkbox only hide members of a layer from the editor, but not from the mission. Is that correct?

My solution is to use your script in init file but reverse:

{ _x enableSimulationGlobal false; _x hideObjectGlobal true; }forEach ((getMissionLayerEntities "NewAO") select 0);

And it works, but why the official manual say differently? What did I do wrong?

note you can still use the old 2d editor. Eden is useful if you need precise 3d placement, want to use layers - otherwise it makes various functionality more accessible, yet for an experienced coder not relying on BI modules, you dont have to use it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bardosy said:

But I always make them live from far, so I never experienced they are really "hidden" before my trigger make them alive.

Use Debug Console by R3vo to switch to spectator during any mission and debug that in particular.

14 hours ago, bardosy said:

those two checkbox only hide members of a layer from the editor, but not from the mission. Is that correct? 

I would say absolutely not.

To be fair this was the first time I've used layers but I've always heard people talking about them and was curious, so I took this opportunity to learn a bit. They seem both easy and useful.

I've built a quick test mission with two layers and exported to SP/MP and both worked on/offline as expected.

My hint to you is to make sure your triggers are not inside any layers, and you don't have layers inside layers. Recheck the unit's boxes are unselected using the left pane list in the editor.

I'm thinking you might have your triggers conditions misconfigured as well.

By the way, since we're using global commands make sure your triggers are evaluated server side only (checkbox).

10 hours ago, .kju said:

note you can still use the old 2d editor.

How, please?

12 hours ago, RCA3 said:

I would say absolutely not.

To be fair this was the first time I've used layers but I've always heard people talking about them and was curious, so I took this opportunity to learn a bit. They seem both easy and useful. 

I've built a quick test mission with two layers and exported to SP/MP and both worked on/offline as expected.

My hint to you is to make sure your triggers are not inside any layers, and you don't have layers inside layers. Recheck the unit's boxes are unselected using the left pane list in the editor.

I'm thinking you might have your triggers conditions misconfigured as well.

By the way, since we're using global commands make sure your triggers are evaluated server side only (checkbox).

Hi @RCA3 !

You misunderstand my problem. All my trigger works fine. Triggers and your sample make the layers visible and works.

My problem is the Editor checkboxes dont hide them!

If I make a layer with a soldier and uncheck the two boxes the soldier is still visible and working without make him alive.

What I am saying: Eden's checkbox dont "enableSimulationGlobal false" the units inside the layer. So no need your script to make them "enableSimulationGlobal true". Because it's always true.

Eden editor not handle layers as I suspected and as the official documentation said. If you still not understand me (it's not your fault), I will make a video about my problem.

Hey @bardosy,

I think I understood the first time: apparently your checkboxes for Show Model and Enable Simulation aren't having any effect on the 3Den and/or when testing the mission after export.

Forget about the script for now, the checkboxes alone should always hide the model and disable the simulation. Actually, forget about layers, Show Model and Enable Simulation are part of the object's attributes, if you create objects outside a layer and edit those attributes, they should not be visible when testing the mission independently of being inside layers or not (they're still visible in editor, need to press play).

Check your Enable Transformation checkbox:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:A3_EdenEditor_CreateLayer.gif

On 6/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, bardosy said:

Eden editor not handle layers as I suspected and as the official documentation said.

I really doubt that (but you never know)...

I think you're editing SOG missions which I don't own, or I would ask you to send me the mission files. You can make a demo with vanilla units/map if you want and send me through PM, or make that video you described.

• Like 1

Thanks for your attention.

I will made that vanilla (without DLC) test mission at afternoon and post it.

Hey @RCA3

I made the sample mission.

It's in Stratis and vanilla. I put a bluefor man (player) and a CSAT man. Move the CSAT man into Layer 1. Doubleclick on Layer 1 and uncheck both checkbox. Opfor soldier is hidden from the editor. Now click on "Play Scenario" button in the bottom right corner of the 3DEN. Simulation start:

I am at the airport of Stratis and in front of me I saw the CSAT soldier (I put him turn away from me, so he didnt kill me immediately). But I saw him, so he is not hidden. And if I start moving towards him, he detect me and kill me, so he is active in the simulation.

23 hours ago, bardosy said:

Hey @RCA3

I made the sample mission.

It's in Stratis and vanilla. I put a bluefor man (player) and a CSAT man. Move the CSAT man into Layer 1. Doubleclick on Layer 1 and uncheck both checkbox. Opfor soldier is hidden from the editor. Now click on "Play Scenario" button in the bottom right corner of the 3DEN. Simulation start:

I am at the airport of Stratis and in front of me I saw the CSAT soldier (I put him turn away from me, so he didnt kill me immediately). But I saw him, so he is not hidden. And if I start moving towards him, he detect me and kill me, so he is active in the simulation.

The check box is for hiding the layer in the editor only, it will not hide the layer in the mission. 

If you want to hide a layer in the mission.

_x enableSimulation false; 
        _x hideObject true; 
    } forEach (getMissionLayerEntities "Layer 1" select 0);

@stburr91 exactly, this is what I am talking about! But the official documentation said otherwise:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editor:_Layer

1. Create a layer, name it NewAO and add some objects and markers to it.
2. Select all objects in that layer and uncheck Show Model and Enable Simulation in the attributes. In case of markers, set the Alpha value to 0

3. Preview the scenario
4. All objects and markers will now be invisible

I already used the code what you mention to hide layers, but BIS doc said it's not necessary, I have to uncheck the checkbox only.

Hey again @bardosy ,

On 6/4/2021 at 2:59 PM, bardosy said:

Doubleclick on Layer 1 and uncheck both checkbox.

You don't double click the layer, those two checkboxes should remain checked (see my post above (picture)) (edited the link to the pic).

You select and right-click the groups/objects you want to hide, and go to Attributes and then Object: Special States and then uncheck Show Model and Enable Simulation. Picture below.

I hope this helps.

Ph7YLrI.jpg

• Like 1