Vectif

Bastek - A middle east terrain with Arma 3 assets!

I like the usage of churches and more western looking buildings being used instead of just mudhuts and Zargabad urban buildings, it makes the area seem like something out of developed Saudi Arabia or going more eastern, perhaps parts of Tehran. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Broseph_Stalin90 said:

I like the usage of churches and more western looking buildings being used instead of just mudhuts and Zargabad urban buildings, it makes the area seem like something out of developed Saudi Arabia or going more eastern, perhaps parts of Tehran. 

Absolutely! Thank you. I did notice a lot of middle east terrains only use huts or make very barren places (and sometimes are way too much like Zargabad or Takistan), I've always thought having an actual modern or first world-like middle east terrain would shake things up. I have always adored the way Battlefield 3 did it, so Tehran has definitely been an influence. I do not have as many overpasses or bridges as I'd like to, but I'd love to find a way to implement such. I'm also surprised no one else had this idea before, but it seems that having taken my time to curate the Arma 3 objects that fit the theme and vibe has been paying off. I hope to bring something new to the community with this terrain.

I totally wanted Bastek to have contrast, so there's definitely slums around, there's war torn and regular towns, and there's also super modern rich cities. That's what makes the Bastek 'background'/'story' canon work in my mind, and that's what I wanted to visualize with the terrain on it's different regions. I would admire this to be reflected on the ways people play the terrain, and make things be much more interesting and deep than just combat alone.

On a side note... sometimes I like to play pretend this is Take on Helicopters... and that's a spoiler for my next terrain project after Bastek 😉

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 5

Hey all, here's some new progress pictures of the terrain! Few new areas here and there, and some revisited areas too. Working on the overall picture, enjoy!

• Like 2

Also... a little livefire scenario test! Here's some screenies I snapped.

• Like 4

Whoa!

This terrain looks very well put together, and very fun for small scale fights. You can really tell a lot of attention to detail that went into it, and that it's designed with gameplay in mind vs pure aesthetics. Also nice that it doesn't depend on any third party content!

I have an unsolicited question: feel free to ignore it, obviously I have *zero* claim to your efforts:

Does the terrain editor allow for noise generation in the heightmap for certain areas? Perhaps in the slums and outer city? Really +/- 0.2 meters would be plenty. I think it could increase immersion by reducing the visual contrast of the hills vs the (perfectly) flat city areas. Also, infantry players would have to adjust view and not just hold the "W" key when crossing. And it also provides minor cover for prone positions, that would be performance friendlier than placing many rock objects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This all looks really well put together and clean in a good way. Great job, can't wait to see the final product

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Melody_Mike said:

Whoa!

This terrain looks very well put together, and very fun for small scale fights. You can really tell a lot of attention to detail that went into it, and that it's designed with gameplay in mind vs pure aesthetics. Also nice that it doesn't depend on any third party content!

I have an unsolicited question: feel free to ignore it, obviously I have *zero* claim to your efforts:

Does the terrain editor allow for noise generation in the heightmap for certain areas? Perhaps in the slums and outer city? Really +/- 0.2 meters would be plenty. I think it could increase immersion by reducing the visual contrast of the hills vs the (perfectly) flat city areas. Also, infantry players would have to adjust view and not just hold the "W" key when crossing. And it also provides minor cover for prone positions, that would be performance friendlier than placing many rock objects. 

I use L3DT to process most of my terrain, so I could add a few more height variations to some areas. I do not know of generating "random noise" per se but I could likely go manually about it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it and see how it goes.

28 minutes ago, jujurat said:

This all looks really well put together and clean in a good way. Great job, can't wait to see the final product

Thank you very much! ^^

As I understand from the PMC tutorial, L3DT allows you to export the heightfield / heightmap in several image formats, besides the data table .asc format. Mondkalb's own tutorial even suggests using 8-bit greyscale images:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mondkalb%27s_Terrain_Tutorial

Editing an image file with eg irfanview, GiMP, or Photoshop(if you have the license) allows you to select and edit areas. You could then apply an automated noise filter over a selected area. This is a tutorial for GiMP, but there's multiple for all image editing suites:

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/76414/how-to-apply-grain-texture-effect-in-gimp

Or perhaps you prefer the manual 3D hands on approach. Arguments can definitely be made for that.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

some more object placement updates and progress! enjoy ^^

• Like 9

Hi all! I'd like to announce that if everything goes to plan, I am hoping to release Bastek sometime December this year.

Excited? Me too. Here's some promo shots.
mk3jG1q.jpg
hQazfwu.jpg
cWTwwGX.jpg
I0q8HuD.jpg
JE5GxAm.jpg
qieHB7F.jpg
898dDwl.jpg
AeQsrG2.jpg

Also, want a bit of nostalgia? Check out these tracks made by BI for Arma 2's soundtrack. This really sets the setting and vibe for me, I've been listening to them here and there while I work. If you haven't played Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, or Arma 2's Operation Black Gauntlet from Arma 2's Private Military Company DLC, I suggest you do so! And if you're brave, play Operation Royal Flush from Arma 1, maybe you'll catch a sneaky refference!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduwdc4amXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GyHtOyIRNM

Have a good one!

• Like 4

Also! Are you, or do you know any designers who'd like to have a part of themselves in this project for fun? I am hosting a little 'contest' for fun to feature fictional adverts and artwork on billboards around the terrain. You can find all the info and rules here: