Sign in to follow this  
Shabadu

Know anything about geforce4?

I put this here because it has no relation to OFP, the only problem I have with OFP:R is that my disk broke and Codemasters haven't got back to me about it yet.

My problem is that ever since I installed my shiny new GeForce4 Ti4200 my start bar has suffered a few glitches.

The first to rear it's head is when the computer is left on for too long and the start button sort of flickers, looks like it's updating and producing a sort of raster scan effect on the button.

The other problem is that occaisionally the entire start bar will crash. A program gets a fatal error, I forget which one but I beleive it manages the start bar, and I lose the bar totally, have to reset the machine as the only controls I have left is the ALT-TAB thing and CTR-ALT-DEL.

Anyone got any idea if this is a common problem? I know a friend of mine gets the start button flicker like I do and he has GF4MX440 or something. I tried to find the relevant forum but haven't figured out where I can go with this.

Thanks guys smile.gif

It's unlikely to be a problem with the Detonator drivers for your video card, they don't mess with the Start menu.

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware? Something running in the background might be causing the problem by redrawing the Start menu or Taskbar.

which version of the 4200 do you have? I have the Abit Siluro version and occasionally get the start bar disapearing, but up untill now i figured that was just windows explorer crashing as usual, dont know about the other glitch, i never turn my pc off and only restart if really necesary and it works just fine...

what specs do you have? all the latest drivers? i use 42.70 myself, not WHQL drivers but they work just fine

I have a Geforce MX 440 and have never had a problem at all. I agree with Mr Frag.....check your system to see how clean it is. Also did you have another card in there before? If so did you remove the previous drivers properly? Failing all that........bugger it....reinstall Windows......that fixes so many problems smile.gif

I have Gainward Ti4200. A friend of mine said he'd heard of this problem on a message board somewhere else. Maybe it's a winME thing.

No, there was no problem before I got the card and there aren't any suspicious programs running and my system is as clean as it's ever been.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 07 2003,10:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about your power supply? Strong enough? What you got?

As an example, look at this thread.<span id='postcolor'>

I dunno but I doubt that's it. I mean I doubt the card is doing much whilst on the desktop. I have no problems with any games. I'm even able to play GTAIII without trouble, and all I got is a Celeron 1GHz and 512MB of RAM.

its a new version of AGP, to the best of my knowledge only a couple of motherboards have x8 capabilities at the moment...thats as much as i know

It means your video card is compatible with 8x AGP motherboard .But you have to have a 8x AGP port on your motherboard though.AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port.

Guest BratZ

About the start bar thing...You have nview enabled .Dual display support or whatever?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Feb. 07 2003,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About the start bar thing...You have nview enabled .Dual display support or whatever?<span id='postcolor'>

Um, don't think so. I have this EXPERTool thing in my sys tray and I don't like to get rid of it cause I'll end up forgetting how to get it back.

Dual display support? Only one monitor.

People forgot to mention to snake that AGP8x is faster than previous versions, or maybe that's implied.

AGP8x hasn't shown an increase in performance in any of the tests I've seen, and of couse you need one of the few AGP8x-supporting motherboards to start.

AGP 8x was a marketing plan... Games haven't even passed the AGP 2x bus yet... So, no real need for them.

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile: What's the difference between 'Ti' and 'MX' cards?

Would I do better with a GF3 128mb MX_ _ _? or a GF4 64mb Ti_ _ _?

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 08 2003,07wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been meaning to ask this for awhile: What's the difference between 'Ti' and 'MX' cards?<span id='postcolor'>

Not sure about the Gf3, but when it comes to Geforce 4 MX vs Ti are almost completely different. I forget the details, but I remember the MX being described as basically a couple of Geforce 2's on steroids, while the Ti's are a whole new card. The fact that they're both called Geforce 4 is misleading. Apparently one of the biggest differences is the pixel shaders on the Ti's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 08 2003,07:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been meaning to ask this for awhile: What's the difference between 'Ti' and 'MX' cards?

Would I do better with a GF3 128mb MX_ _ _? or a GF4 64mb Ti_ _ _?<span id='postcolor'>

there is notin such as geforce3 128 MX. only geforce 4 mx and they r worst then geforce3 128 ti (the one u meant assault). geforce 4 have same architecture with geforce 3, but run at faster cloakspeed. I say go for the geforce4

GeForce 4 Mx cards run the same architecture as the GeForce 2 Mx cards. The only difference is that they've been equiped with faster memory, and have higher clocked core and memory. GeForce 4 Ti is completely different from GeForce 3.

I think you meant the GeForce 3 Ti 200 though.

If your going to pick one of those cards, GeForce 3 Ti 200 w/ 128mb or GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64mb go with the GeForce 4 as it is much faster then the GeForce 3 card. You wont notice the difference between the 128 and 64mbs as games scale and most are built for under 64mbs still. However, I'd go out and get the 128mb version of the GF4 4200. They're really great cards. I wouldn't worry about Nvidia dumping any new cards besides the GFFX 5800 because they just dropped the ultra version in favor of moving onto the Nv35 chipset.