This is the release of work in progress arma RTS mission inspired by the close combat series

Download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2514668261

I'm looking for graphics artist to help with the GUI graphics

All other help is also welcome, like testing and feedback!

Features so far:

Campaign:

Move your forces from town to town and to victory locations to win the game

Each force has limited manpower, casualties taken reduce force's manpower

AI opponent

Combat:

Battle over 5 victory locations on the map to win the battle

Use the familiar zeus interface to move your troops around

Assign groups to man a building or take cover behind a wall

Enemy is initially invisible but detectable by your troops

Groups have morale and may surrender, realistic morale boost from nearby friendlies

Some troops have special traits like the recon for example has extra stamina

Make group pop a smoke

Call air or artillery strikes

And more...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally this thread was used to ask what people think about arma RTS idea.

The post:

I have been working on a arma RTS for a while and wanted to ask if there is interest in this kind of mission in arma?

I'm making this in the spirit of close combat series because it was one of my favorite RTS back in the days

The idea is to have global map where you move your forces and then fight individual battles on designated areas

What do you think about this kind of RTS, are there any players here?

thx 🙂

• Like 9

I've always liked the idea of trying to play arma as an RTS, but the vehicle AI pathing keeps me from looking into it. I know you've been working on this for a little while now, and if the AIs driving doesn't negatively impact what you're doing I'd be interested. 

Good luck 👍

8 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

if the AIs driving doesn't negatively impact what you're doing I'd be interested. 

Hmm yes the AI driving could be a problem, especially for the AI side. But I guess that's just away from the challenge as there's infantry too and only couple vehicles per battle... Ironically CC also had bad vehicle driving 😄

• Haha 1

Here's some screenshots of progress so far:

The global map:

C6A56BEE8CE1BEA5FC8E5F6B44844D8B900A1AAD

Battles:

D05DFCC01D6BCE2CF649E610FE5C067948EC35FD

?imw=1024&imh=588&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

• Like 2

Unit pool selection

182B06CA9C5983D44B90B29B1C0CA03AB670A171

• Like 4

The cover system is starting to look good:

(Mouse cursor not visible)

• Like 3

Do they react to the direction of enemy fire yet (in terms of cover)?

45 minutes ago, kremator said:

Do they react to the direction of enemy fire yet (in terms of cover)?

nope. player assigns the men to cover position

• Like 1

Also will this one have multiplayer compability? General's war was nice mission but sadly it had only SP mode.

21 minutes ago, comradeguy said:

So how global map works exactly?

You move forces from one location to another. when your force meets with enemy force there will be battle at that location

17 minutes ago, comradeguy said:

Also will this one have multiplayer compability?

This is singleplayer only. Atleast for now. 

• Like 1

It's very interesting.

How far does the ai go to complete tasks in cqc, i.e. does the player decide where they look & who they target etc ?

Who decides the stance & behaviour, ai or player ?

Good luck with this, arma is such a good platform for this type of gameplay, but at the same time.. not easy..

6 minutes ago, WGP said:

How far does the ai go to complete tasks in cqc, i.e. does the player decide where they look & who they target etc ?

The standard arma AI does it's thing but player can choose formation direction and AI picks its own targets. I'm using zeus and I am yet unsure if you can give groups targets by it

6 minutes ago, WGP said:

Who decides the stance & behaviour, ai or player ?

player

• Like 1

This is looking amazing so far! I love RTS styled games and or persistent / changing missions that arn't always the same! 

• Thanks 1

Ok it's been a while since last update on this so I decided to release a test version in case someone is interested to play.

You get to play custom battle (with not many options atm) and the ending triggers are still undone but there's AI to play against you. The AI forces are supposed to be invisible until detected but this has not been implemented yet.

The battle is little slow to start but it will start 🙂

Download (Requires unsung!): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2514668261

HF

• Like 1

3 days off as of tomorrow. I've been keen to give this a go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kremator said:

Damn ... don't have Unsung installed.

Sorry about that, this mission is unsung only. At least for now...

Ok, one run through the mission and here's what I've got. There's a bunch of UI improvements to be made, but as it is a WIP I wont go into most of them. They work just fine as placeholders anyway.

- Whenever I would select multiple groups that included a mortar and non-mortar team I would get the following error:

11:50:08 Error in expression <== "SMOKE") then
{
_useMag = _ammoTypes # 1;
};

_useMag
};

getNextMagIndex = 
>
11:50:08   Error position: <# 1;
};

_useMag
};

getNextMagIndex = 
>
11:50:08   Error Zero divisor
11:50:08 File steam\__cur_sp.Altis\scripts\mortar.sqf..., line 79

- Having a small list down the side of the screen with alive groups and strengths would be handy. Also, including ammo states for support groups (like mortars) would be helpful.

- Not being able to right-click and pan the camera while a group was selected was a bit of an annoyance (I think you had problems working around that iirc?).

- The big green UI with supports and actions is a bit much. Perhaps it'd be better off smaller, and put somewhere along the bottom of the screen?

It all seemed to work pretty well though. It was fairly intuitive to line groups up along cover or move them into buildings. I had to watch a single NVA kill about 6 or 7 US soldiers one by one before I just called in mortars on everyone to get rid of him 🤣 That was probably the most frustrating part. But the mission played well. Rushed the middle zone with what roughly constituted a platoon and got the weapons squad facing down a street for some amazing enfilade that decimated the NVA caught there. Keep up the good work.

@beno_83au thx for the bug report!

4 hours ago, beno_83au said:

Having a small list down the side of the screen with alive groups and strengths would be handy.

if all groups are listed there that probably would take some space

Not being able to right-click and pan the camera while a group was selected was a bit of an annoyance (I think you had problems working around that iirc?).

the right click (holding down) is used to rotate the group. I could remove that feature and leave the option to rotate the group only via the rotate button.

The big green UI with supports and actions is a bit much. Perhaps it'd be better off smaller, and put somewhere along the bottom of the screen?

yea it's quite big , I just left it like that because I don't yet know what buttons I could add to there

• Like 1

I updated the mission, fixed the bug and made so that mortar ammo count always shows and I disabled the mouse right button group facing

19 hours ago, gc8 said:

it shows group type and amount of men, I don't know what else to put there?

Perhaps with support groups like mortars, and maybe AT teams, it could show the amount of ammo or fire missions still available if it doesn't start to get too cluttered. 

10 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

Perhaps with support groups like mortars, and maybe AT teams, it could show the amount of ammo or fire missions still available if it doesn't start to get too cluttered. 

yes I was thinking of ammo too. AT ammo and mortar would be special case

• Like 1