Sign in to follow this  
Sertica

Body Armor Math

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Soldier_Protection

According to this page I'm understanding it as meaning that a special carrier rig with 24 abdomen armor divides incoming damage by 25, because the abdomen has 1 health and the vest adds 24.  So body armor does not stop bullets as vehicle armor does.  It only divides the damage.  A scorpion still kills you with 6 bullets at 18m, so it must not work realistically.

What's the question you want answered? 

1 minute ago, stanhope said:

What's the question you want answered? 

Just making sure I'm correct.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:03 PM, Sertica said:

So body armor does not stop bullets as vehicle armor does.  It only divides the damage.  A scorpion still kills you with 6 bullets at 18m, so it must not work realistically.

Technically that is how body armour works in real life - or at least as close as this game can replicate it without going into 'Escape From Tarkov levels of realism.

You get hit and you still feel it. You still get put on your arse. Whilst it doesn't kill you depending on the calibre and hit location you'll still know about it. If the game were to work how you're suggesting (the vehicle comparison) it would simply be a matter of whether you were wearing armour or not wearing armour - the former making you invincible. The armour value is a game-mechanic simulating armour levels i.e. the "heavier" armour protects you more (and divides the damage more). Without going into the differences of calibre and ammunition type (armour-piercing, hollow point etc).

At the end of the day ArmA3 is a game and with a hitpoints damage system at that. Its come a long way since the old OFP days where even a T80 could be taken out with enough 5.56mm rounds...

• Like 1

Goto STEAM WORKSHOP and lookup AAPM - That has simulated body armor with full inserts. I used this mod with compatibility patches in single player and it is super hard.

Next load up ACE and Universal Ammo System and it will be about balanced.

I think this is what you to simulate relative ARMOR values.

I wish more MP servers would run it but it is really for those hardcore ACE type players.