juju-large.png

About

[RATS.ins] jujurat presents 73 Easting, a 4km terrain that seeks to provide a playable, atmospheric, and engaging take on remote Iraq during the Gulf War. 73 Easting is the location of one of the largest tank battles in US history. This terrain attempts to recreate that isolate desert and the areas around it in the approximate time period using real world data, and of course some fictional liberties taken to make the map playable for Arma. The terrain includes small inlets of green areas and a few rural structures.

Battle of 73 Easting

The Battle of 73 Easting was fought on 26 February 1991, during the Gulf War, between the armoured forces of the United States (VII Corps) as well as the 1st Armoured Division of the United Kingdom and those of the Iraqi Republican Guard and its Tawakalna Division. It was named for a UTM north-south coordinate line (an "Easting", measured in kilometers and readable on GPS receivers) in the featureless desert that was used as a phase line to measure progress of the offensive as they were going through what the Iraqis thought was trackless desert. The battle was later described by Lt. John Mecca, who participated in the battle, as "the last great tank battle of the 20th century."[7] This battle took place several hours after another, smaller, tank battle known as the Battle of Al Busayyah.

This terrain was created in about half of a day for the purposes of Gulf War missions, and for any general purpose use.

Features

Empty desert on the western portion of the terrain.
Small green zones accompanied with palm trees.
A few small buildings, by few, I mean few.
General terrain area that is miscellaneous enough to be used for multiple purposes.
Custom lighting config.
Real geographical infromation such as heightmap and satmap, gathered from QGIS with the assistance of Adanteh's Game Terrain plugin.

TERRAIN IMAGES

Spoiler

8E3D591D2B751B7DB7E7FE68410C0F91DD28693D
41F13BD5D1520142679441A65173F8709A166A4D
99B1F58C1D51090D9C7A1E7FFF8621F147CAD8AD
9854140B09647BF7BEB4D2EA0E3BAAD0A5ED2AE8

Plans for the Future

There is nothing majorly planned for this terrain. I will update it and polish it and maintain it as Arma continues to update. It is understood that this does not perfectly recreate 73 Easting. It is a small segment of 4km out of the 50+km of terrain that 73, 74.. etc Eastings were fought in. I made the map intentionally multi purposeful to support small infantry combat, mechanized warfare, and tank warfare. This map is most likely too small for planes (only 4km).

I will most likely go in and make the tank positions actually above ground in Buldozer.

Stats for Nerds

4km
Cell Size 2

Credits and Thanks

For providing great information and help at times of need:
Mondkalb
Ice
Adanteh
Temppa
A3 Discord Terrain Channel
HorribleGoat
Bohemia Interactive

DOWNLOAD
Current mirror: Steam Workshop.
I don't intend on uploading it to Armaholic, but if someone would like to do so, that's fine. Just use all of the information posted here. 🙂
Terrain images included on Steam Workshop page

• Like 10

Great map 👍. Perfect for tank fights. Amazing lighting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vintorez said:

Great map 👍. Perfect for tank fights. Amazing lighting.

Thanks, I think I will make more desert maps in the future, especially for Iraq since there seems to be a lacking amount of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2021 at 3:21 AM, jujurat said:

Thanks, I think I will make more desert maps in the future, especially for Iraq since there seems to be a lacking amount of them.

Desert maps should also perform better on bigger scales as less objects to deal with. Perfect for combined arms with air support and long viewing distances.

A Desert map in Altis 32x32 km size would rock! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jone_kone said:

Desert maps should also perform better on bigger scales as less objects to deal with. Perfect for combined arms with air support and long viewing distances.

A Desert map in Altis 32x32 km size would rock! 

KIDAL :  https://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31089&highlight=KIDAL

Description:
Kidal is a town and commune in the desert region of northern Mali. The town lies 285 km northeast of Gao and is the capital of the Kidal Cercle and the Kidal Region.

Map size : 60km x 60km