MrSand

Arma 3 Hard locking my pc

Specs: I5 3570 Intel hd 2500, I know that it’s shitty but it’s playable, I run the game on hdd but I run the OS in a ssd, 8 gb of ram 1600 MHz

Issue: arma 3 randomly freezes hard locking the pc, I can’t ctrl alt delete to get out, I can’t alt tab, the only fix is restarting. It’s very annoying I have tried setting arma 3 to high I have changed parameters to enable hyper threading which does nothing cause my cpu doesn’t have hyper threading but eh, enabled large page support. Mods I use ch view distance and enhanced video settings, plus some of my discord’s mods or 212st mods, I doubt it’s mods but maybe.

My guesses: something to do with my drivers I did used to get dxgi error device removed so what could be happening is my gpu is losing connecting and when trying to reload it’s doesn’t work or something I dunno, my guess is as good as yours, but it could also be my cpu again I don’t know. A crash log just in case in the comments to many characters

Update: I tried doing some stuff things i did this before I made this post i made on reddit no one replied so im making one here anyways I tried playing on bordered mode just to see if it was a resolution issue, it wasn't, right now im competly dumbfounded at this point im pretty sure it could be temps ill test em right now but because, I think it doesnt happen with no mods like said I play in a starsim I think the main issue is that maybe my hdd is not liking it and doesnt work well I dobut it but i did see when I was running it in bordered mode i ran task manger in the background, and as from the really stuttering that would happen like whole 10 seconds of a screen freeze which would cause tfar to log me out of the ts channel, but I would go back anyways this made think it was a hdd issue I still think it is part of it but I thonk its mainly the gpu as i mentioned I think whats happening is that dxgi error, you see I watch a video well to "fix" that error but i only think it hides it btw heres the video, as I was saying I think what i did in the video didnt fix the issue only try to hide i will try reseting that and see if  it still happens, any ways just some new info. This still mostly likely wont fix my issue. I also changed the config files I think GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0; GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;, this was initially to increase my frames but maybe if I revert them back it might fix the issue, again I cant really test them I kinda just have to wait for a crash anyways they tend to happen like 2 times a op which is very annoying anyways this pretty long so ill keep update this thread in the comments.

I'm fairly certain that your system is bellow minimum specs, specifically your graphics card, which would explain why you get graphics related crashes.  You can verify if you're above or bellow minimum specs using this website.

As for a fix for your issue: I've found that using full-screen borderless allows you to open the task manager above arma most of the time.  If that does not work and you're running win 10 you can also windows-tab (once you're no longer tabbed into arma), at the top hit the new desktop link and open task manager on this new desktop.  Then just kill arma, hit windows tab again and close the desktop you created.

You are using on CPU video graphics?

Hard locking is either bad drivers or now enough power or overheating.

You can isolate it by launching the game, set your video graphics settings all the way down to LOW.

Then run the game. It will put most of the requirements onto your CPU, and NOT the video or GPU.

If it crashes, it may be your CPU overheating (it should not as it should throttle down) or your PSU is not giving enough power or your motherboard VRM near the CPU are overheating. Put a fan near the VRM to isolate this or at least open your case or point a FAN near the CPU area.

If you are stable, then you can try to increase the resolution and monitor your RAM temperatures. If your RAM overheats, point a fan on top of the RAM.

If it becomes stable, you will know the RAM was overheating.

Lastly, if CPU, RAM and POWER are all OK, then start to increase your video quality. or update the graphics drivers.

11 hours ago, stanhope said:

I'm fairly certain that your system is bellow minimum specs, specifically your graphics card, which would explain why you get graphics related crashes.  You can verify if you're above or bellow minimum specs using this website.

As for a fix for your issue: I've found that using full-screen borderless allows you to open the task manager above arma most of the time.  If that does not work and you're running win 10 you can also windows-tab (once you're no longer tabbed into arma), at the top hit the new desktop link and open task manager on this new desktop.  Then just kill arma, hit windows tab again and close the desktop you created.

like i said first i did look into fullscreen borderless dont know how, anyways i did go bordered windowed and  that still freezed the pc the main thing i do want to say is that the pc still runs for example ts still goes in the background it just seems like the gpu lags behind or something i am below minimum spec i do not plan to be soon but the gpu market has died so I have to wait until gtx 970 or rx 570 dips below 200, anyways i will check the temps today any good software you recommend? 

8 hours ago, Valken said:

You can isolate it by launching the game, set your video graphics settings all the way down to LOW.

Then run the game. It will put most of the requirements onto your CPU, and NOT the video or GPU.

If it crashes, it may be your CPU overheating (it should not as it should throttle down) or your PSU is not giving enough power or your motherboard VRM near the CPU are overheating. Put a fan near the VRM to isolate this or at least open your case or point a FAN near the CPU area.

If you are stable, then you can try to increase the resolution and monitor your RAM temperatures. If your RAM overheats, point a fan on top of the RAM.

Lastly, if CPU, RAM and POWER are all OK, then start to increase your video quality. or update the graphics drivers.

I did look into that I have a 500 watt power supply so i doubt thats the issue, drivers i did roll back and reinstalled 2 times didn't seem to fix the issue, as for temps im currently looking into that, I can defiantly see that being the issue as you metioned it could be but when i was in bordered mode i had task manger on the cpu never seemed to go above 70 percent usage, even when I was stuttering like crazy again i will still look at the ram but the ram was also a flat line, the only thing that was even correct with the stuttering and stuff like that was the hdd it would go crazy and lag behind alot causing massive stutters i did look into that and defrag analyzed it seems to be fine, it could be something with temps tho as i haven't tested them so i will make sure to that any software you recommend 

8 hours ago, Valken said:

tested the temps never went above 65 C cpu and the gpu never went above 61 C, I tested by going to eden editor just spawning enemies around maybe like 60 and 2 tanks, plus i was running in a pretty high resolution I think the one below  imma gonna test it running the lowest resoluation and then testing it at the lowest resoluation but with 50% sampling so its gonna well I guess bad

9 hours ago, Valken said:

did the same thing temps stay at 55 max was at 59 I dont think it is the temps i loaded a ton enemies I will  make to test this in a actual op where i tend to crash the most, but from what seems this is sometihng alot more deeper the fan is right next to the cpu I can send ya a pic if want I have really bad cable management it will be bad. https://gyazo.com/d64820a32836751353e46b19e4150903 this is a old pic before i added my ssd and psu 

So do this, just run ARMA with no mods.

I actually think it is running out of RAM, then thrashing the HDD then crashing.

I run ARMA with 32 GB of RAM. Even when people told me 16 GB was enough, but when you run a game with MODS you need more RAM in 64 bit mode, then even the OS needs to reserve about 2-3 GB alone to keep it running (Windows 7 x64 for me).

It was only when I upgraded to 32GB then my game stopped crashing with MODS.

With no MODS, 16 GB is enough.

Also, you should use STEAM and MOVE the ARMA game folder to the SSD if you can afford the space.

The HDD gets beat on heavily with ARMA it streams the MAP assets when you are moving around.

If you read the what should I get to play ARMA thread, people recommend a FAST CPU, 16 GB of FAST RAM and SSD at the minimum. We don't need a super fast GPU to play it but it helps when loading a ton of models like on Tanoa map or mods.

13 hours ago, Valken said:

So do this, just run ARMA with no mods.

I actually think it is running out of RAM, then thrashing the HDD then crashing.

I run ARMA with 32 GB of RAM. Even when people told me 16 GB was enough, but when you run a game with MODS you need more RAM in 64 bit mode, then even the OS needs to reserve about 2-3 GB alone to keep it running (Windows 7 x64 for me).

It was only when I upgraded to 32GB then my game stopped crashing with MODS.

With no MODS, 16 GB is enough.

Also, you should use STEAM and MOVE the ARMA game folder to the SSD if you can afford the space.

The HDD gets beat on heavily with ARMA it streams the MAP assets when you are moving around.

If you read the what should I get to play ARMA thread, people recommend a FAST CPU, 16 GB of FAST RAM and SSD at the minimum. We don't need a super fast GPU to play it but it helps when loading a ton of models like on Tanoa map or mods.

Ram I can try getting 16 gbs I was going to I think that should fix the crashing as for the ssd i only have 128 gb so i would have to really clear the ssd 

I have cleared the ssd I have 60gb in space now 

Lets hope that fixes it It probably wont but it may fix some of it I guess

oh god no its so big its 100gb oh no I dont even know what to clear anymore

I actually dont think its the ram when i was running the game the ram was always a flat line like i said i t never when about 7.3 usage I do beileve changing the game to ssd will fix the issue tho it would make sense

Ok I cant move to my C drive Its too much

what doesn't make sense to me is that the os is crashing you know it would make sense if the os was in hdd but its not the os is in my c drive which is an ssd, I know thrashing is caused when the os cant find enough ram and allocates some of the space that the hdd is using and to well use and thrashing the hdd what doesnt add up is that my os is also crashing, why would it cause my os to crash why wouldnt it just crash arma my guess arma crashes because no ram and hdd aint good enough which in turn crashes the os wouldn't the os just crash arma and then use that ram or use my hhd ram what could happening is that the hdd space that would normal be used isn't being used then it just doesn't add up i cant see the os crashing anyway i do have further info i think i know why its freezing so i had crash i did have mods running but not alot just like a maybe 10gb worth of mods maybe less anyways it happened when i crashed my hele and then I just went into infinite loading or just my screen freezing and me not being able to log out so i try to press the power button to and then the screen froze same as the cursors main thing i could move my cursor.  

If you had tried to move ARMA over, move it back. 

Then reboot your system.

Your SSD maybe running out of space. If you get a BSOD with Cxx0005 errors, it is memory related.

PS: you should try to format your writing. It is hard to read a full wall of text!

yeah sorry about my bad writing i wrote most of this at 3 am or 4 am, anyways Im pretty sure its a ram or gpu issue at this point iust accepted it although I haven't crashed in the last 3 ops I did but I will see anyways thanks for the help mate 

Arma started crashing for me after I joined a milsim clan that used a lot of mods. Would just get a black screen, had to hard boot computer. I upgraded from a 280X gpu to a RX580 and never had that problem again. I think it was running out of vram. The RX580 is not that new, but went from 3gb to 8gb of vram.

The problem is in some other place in my example  - real reason is in CPU type and settings and also in windows updates for CPUs, anyway if you get this kind of stucks and it looks like graphic card is too hot or something like memory errors and in every other program or game than arma3 is no such problems -> the real reason is settings of cpu turbo boost mode frequencies in bios - due to settings of new 12/13 gen Ix intel CPUs mybe on AMD too, for solve problem try to lower CPU settings on boost/turbo range to for example half of actual setting and then rise it up and after every change restart and try arma for stability by 15-20min I had this issue on 2 machines with i5 12 gen and I5 13gen with AMD RX5500 graphic and nvidia RTX2080 in both cases reason was in those CPU settings in bios not in GPU, and strange thing those problems starts after some update of win 10/win11 (the problem on win 11 is like arma closing itself without any message, on win 10 arma hangs with Bad_module_info error or even blue screen and first of all it closing steam, sometimes it turn off GPu driver and it looks like graphic card is the reason - like memory/GPU error or overheat - but belive me it is not beacouse when yu play other new games or run stress test on GPU it working normal. I spend few days of testing, I hope it help to lot of users of ARMA3 with new gen CPUs PCs.

I have some idea of reason of this (but this can check only by programmers Bi on their source code) - the simulation engine probably have problem with lowering of cpu clock during high duty simulation times and this lowering of CPU clock caused by it internal regulator of power (to lower temperature for prevent overheat after boost) causing errors in simulation beacouse those drops in actual types of CPU can be bigger then ranges of possibile changes used in simulation code if actual CPU can drom in range 2.2 ghz in time when arma 3 was build ranges of CPUS was in about 3-3.5GHz max CPU clocks  so.... - if those drops was included to code in too low range (this can be some timings differences from step to step of code and code discovering that timing range is one moment much bigger then moment before so it crash simulation.