Ex3B

Prarie Fire discussion

2 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Can yall clean up the DSAI -that is the soldiers banter youve added? None of it makes any sense contextually -for instance my squad is 800m away scoping an sole enemy at a base but since we registered an enemy my guys went into Comnbat mode and started spewing all kinda nonsense line about "incoming RPG" or "Flank the Left" -what?! or even worse one guy yelling Fire at Will even though i directly gave a Hold Fire command.

The lack of context banter is definitely lame.  I doubt the PF devs look here at all, you need to post the SOG forums if you want to possibly be heard. 

Note this thread states there is a module for turning off ambient voices, and they state that module is fixed in dev build, so this module will work with next update.  Rather than a module, it should be a DLC setting, so while playing their missions we can turn it off, not just in missions we create ourselves.

I plan to use the module to turn off Blufor voices but keep the ambient VC voices on (since I can't tell when they are out of context).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The lack of context banter is definitely lame.  I doubt the PF devs look here at all, you need to post the SOG forums if you want to possibly be heard.

man i find this kinda ridiculous tbh... its not like they have to get in their car and make a day of coming here and addressing issues -its literally a mouse click away. Frankly i find this whole new de-centralization of BI and their DLC a real problem in terms of long term fan customer relations and accountability. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

man i find this kinda ridiculous tbh... its not like they have to get in their car and make a day of coming here and addressing issues -its literally a mouse click away. Frankly i find this whole new de-centralization of BI and their DLC a real problem in terms of long term fan customer relations and accountability. 

Its lame for sure to have their own forums.

I'm playing around with their Advanced Revive module now and accompanying functions.  These are pretty cool as they are actually context sensitive.  They have multiple context sensitive voice recordings for guys hit, guys requesting healing, dude doing the healing, dude doing the dragging or carrying to safety, and its context sensitive in that if unit talking has an asian face, then they play VC accented english vs. straight up yank english.

Just now, johnnyboy said:

These are pretty cool as they are actually context sensitive.  They have multiple context sensitive voice recordings for guys hit, guys requesting healing, dude doing the healing, dude doing the dragging or carrying to safety, and its context sensitive in that if unit talking has an asian face, then they play VC accented english vs. straight up yank english.

As usual...JohnnyBoy saves the day !

The SP context is totally unplayable. At least, the player should manage a group in order to be healed. Waiting 300 seconds for respawning at base... 🤮

The "campaign" in SP is ridiculous.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pierremgi said:

The SP context is totally unplayable. At least, the player should manage a group in order to be healed. Waiting 300 seconds for respawning at base... 🤮

The "campaign" in SP is ridiculous.

You don't have to wait 300 seconds, you can "withstand" after like 30 seconds or something. 

To be fair, the devs were very upfront that the campaign was designed for coop, and wasn't really meant for SP. 

For anyone that wants an easy way to add AI teammates in the campaign, just use the MCC mod, it allows you to add any AI that you want. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stburr91 said:

For anyone that wants an easy way to add AI teammates in the campaign, just use the MCC mod, it allows you to add any AI that you want. 

Awesome, thanks.  I did not know of this.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

You don't have to wait 300 seconds, you can "withstand" after like 30 seconds or something.

To be fair, the devs were very upfront that the campaign was designed for coop, and wasn't really meant for SP.

That's a little problem for paid DLC, no?

11 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

It's easy to do that from console, creating a group and join it to player. You don't need a mod. But it's just one more lack in this half-made DLC (see posts about map).
The question is for Devs: Are you planning a new version fixing map issues and better SP playability?

13 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

That's a little problem for paid DLC, no?

It's easy to do that from console, creating a group and join it to player. You don't need a mod. But it's just one more lack in this half-made DLC (see posts about map).
The question is for Devs: Are you planning a new version fixing map issues and better SP playability?

While I personally play SP, and would have liked to have seen a really cool SP campaign, I understand the devs decision to make it coop. As the devs have stated, it is impossible to create an authentic SOG campaign for SP, friendly AI teammates would never work well in these types of missions. They had a vision of what kind of gameplay they wanted to deliver, so they choose authentic SOG gameplay over being SP friendly. So while SP players don't get a great experience, coop players had a very unique, and authentic SOG mission experience, They truly created something special, yeah it suchs that everyone didn't get to partake in it, but that's not the fault of the CDLC devs, it's the limitations of the game engine. 

I mentioned MCC because it's a very easy way to spawn whatever someones wants without knowledge of scripting. Also, is the console even available in the campaign?    

• Like 2

There is no difficulty for devs to make something little bit different for SP! The fact MP is working is not enough. That's my thought. But, for sure, when the map is absolutely not adapted for AIs (paths and visibility), it's OK to buy the CDLC as a complex scenario for players. And yes, The console, at least, is available in "campaign" (which campaign? if you can't achieve one mission).

My (basic) workaround for decent SP SOG campaign:

Spoiler

0 = [] spawn {
  private _grp = [getpos player, WEST,["","vn_b_men_sog_02", "vn_b_men_sog_03","vn_b_men_sog_04","vn_b_men_sog_05","vn_b_men_sog_06","vn_b_men_sog_07","vn_b_men_sog_08","vn_b_men_sog_09","vn_b_men_sog_10","vn_b_men_sog_11","vn_b_men_sog_12"],[],["lieutenant","sergeant","sergeant","sergeant","corporal","private","private","private","private","private","private","private"],[],[],[],0] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;
  {[_x] joinSilent group player} count units _grp;
  [30,50] call {
    params [["_delay",20,[0]],["_clear",20,[0]]];
    if (count (call bis_fnc_listPlayers) != 1) exitwith {};
    MGI_ReviveDelay = [_delay max 10,_delay max 20] select (player call BIS_fnc_reviveEnabled);
    MGI_clearArea = _clear;
    player removeAllEventHandlers "handleDamage";
    MGI_fn_revive = compileFinal  "
      params ['_unit'];
      waituntil {lifeState _unit == 'incapacitated'  or !alive _unit or (!(_unit call BIS_fnc_reviveEnabled) && damage _unit >=0.86)};
      if (!(_unit call BIS_fnc_reviveEnabled)) then {
        _unit setUnconscious true
      };
      if (lifeState _unit == 'incapacitated') then {
        _unit setCaptive true;
        _unit allowdamage false;
        _unit setVariable ['inc',false];
        uiSleep MGI_ReviveDelay;
        {_x setDamage 1} forEach (( _unit nearEntities ['CAManBase', MGI_clearArea]) select {side _x getFriend playerSide < 0.6 && side _x != civilian}) - [_unit];
        if (_unit call BIS_fnc_reviveEnabled) then {
          ['#rev',1,_unit] call BIS_fnc_reviveOnState;
        } else {
          _unit setDamage 0;
          _unit setUnconscious false;
        };
      };
      _unit allowdamage true;
      _unit setCaptive false;
    ";
    player addEventHandler ["handleDamage", {
      params ["_unit","","_dam"];
      if (count allplayers !=1) exitWith {
        player removeEventHandler ["handleDamage",_thiseventHandler]
      };
      _veh = objectParent _unit;
      if (!isnull _veh  && isNil {_veh getVariable ["incVeh",nil]} && (damage _veh > 0.7 or (!canfire _veh && !canMove _veh) or _dam > 0.3)) then {
        _veh setVariable ["incVeh",true];
        _unit allowdamage false;
        _unit setCaptive true;
        [_unit,_veh] spawn {
          params ["_unit","_veh"];
          _unit action ["GetOut", _veh];
          _tim = diag_tickTime;
          waitUntil {isnull objectParent _unit or diag_tickTime > _tim + 3};
          uiSleep 2;
          _veh setVariable ["incVeh",nil];
          _unit allowdamage true;
          _unit setCaptive false;
        };
      };
      if (!(_unit getVariable ["inc",false]) && isNull objectParent _unit) then {
        _unit setVariable ["inc",true];
        _unit spawn MGI_fn_revive;
      };
     _dam min 0.86
    }];
  };
};

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, pierremgi said:

My (basic) workaround for decent SP SOG campaign:

Thanks for that Pierre.  I think it is possible to make good SP missions on the map, you just need to choose locations well, and do some extra scripting.  The Savage team could have done it they wanted to.

But I'm still satisfied that I got my money's worth based on new units, the map, the fun grenades, etc.  20$ is about 4 beers in a pub so...so it was worth it to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stburr91 said:

While I personally play SP, and would have liked to have seen a really cool SP campaign, I understand the devs decision to make it coop. As the devs have stated, it is impossible to create an authentic SOG campaign for SP, friendly AI teammates would never work well in these types of missions. They had a vision of what kind of gameplay they wanted to deliver, so they choose authentic SOG gameplay over being SP friendly. So while SP players don't get a great experience, coop players had a very unique, and authentic SOG mission experience, They truly created something special, yeah it suchs that everyone didn't get to partake in it, but that's not the fault of the CDLC devs, it's the limitations of the game engine. 

I mentioned MCC because it's a very easy way to spawn whatever someones wants without knowledge of scripting. Also, is the console even available in the campaign?    

Right but there’s a bigger problem at hand here. The fact that a series in which an included SP campaign was once standardized and now utterly neglected is now normalized

like said above , at a minimum throw us an AI team and double check terrain and level design and make sure they play nice together. Again, this is all fallout and anew standardized type of lazy ness that was a business decision at the inception of Apex and carries on to now - Old Man campaign be damned( nice attempt but already done and better by users). The committee of NAY aka BIS made an intentional decision to cease fixing the very real issues of SP -lacking combat animations, states of awareness, calibrating of AI skills , buillding pathfinder and combat and really - the heart of infantry combat itself - The Firefight - has been totally neglected for years now. Fans of SP the proverbial red headed stepchildren - are left to fend for themselves “ aye just whip it up in the editor blah blah blah “ is bad. Giving us flawed terrain that AI can’t even navigate and stop missions dead in their tracks - real bad. Now having to go sign up in yet another forum to be ignored on yet another bug tracker - gtfo 

check your business practice BI - sure steam kiddie casuals might help your sales but don’t forget the people who got you there as steam casuals are a fickle bunch..

• Like 2

Anybody know the classname or face name for the Goat Head guy  easter egg?  You *know* johnnyboy needs that sucker bad...

• Haha 2

Back in Arma1 in VTE we had based it around online MP use and missions.We didnt have the ppl or time to cover both SP and MP missions.Prolly following the same successfull approach maybe.Looks to be a similar strategy with the missions.If there are AI issues its a problem with the terrain.The objects and their placement aswell as severe terrain changes disallowing AI to ascend or descend effectively are almost always the cause.

A look into these areas should help resolve these issues from my almost 20 years experience making terrains and mods.

I dont have it yet but will prolly when it goes on sale at a later date.$25 is still a bit steep for me considering i jsut bought GM CDLC for $10 appox iirc.

Keen to see what this CDLC evolves too.Looks good from the screenies i've seen.

Steve.

Thanks.

🙂

2 hours ago, ANZACSAS Steven said:

Back in Arma1 in VTE we had based it around online MP use and missions.We didnt have the ppl or time to cover both SP and MP missions.Prolly following the same successfull approach maybe.Looks to be a similar strategy with the missions.If there are AI issues its a problem with the terrain.The objects and their placement aswell as severe terrain changes disallowing AI to ascend or descend effectively are almost the cause.

Alook into these areas should help resolve these issues from my almost 20 years experience making terrains and mods.

I dont have it yet but will prolly when it goes on sale at a later date.$25 is still a bit steep for me considering i jsut bought GM CDLC for $10 appox iirc.

Keen to see what this CDLC evolves too.Looks good from the screenies i've seen.

Steve.

Thanks.

🙂

It is about 20 USD right now with the Steam Sale?

I use the Pizza Economics or some use Beer Economics to buy games. If the game or DLC is as fun or enjoyable as consuming about 2 or 3 Pizza slices or a full pie with meal (drink and side crisps or fries), then I go for it or I just get more pizzas! Same for beers! Whiskey is way more than a DLC but it goes a lot further so there is that...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Valken said:

Around $25 AUD iirc.

39 minutes ago, Valken said:

I use the Pizza Economics or some use Beer Economics to buy games. If the game or DLC is as fun or enjoyable as consuming about 2 or 3 Pizza slices or a full pie with meal (drink and side crisps or fries), then I go for it or I just get more pizzas! Same for beers! Whiskey is way more than a DLC but it goes a lot further so there is that...

I like your "Pizza Economics"  or "Beer Economics" model.😁

I use a "Night at the cinemas economics" model.In Australia, movies aint cheap and they dont last long.1 Hour appox.Makes game time seem very good value for money.Our life partners (furry or not) may not be in full agreeance though...lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Valken said:

I'm with you Valken.  20$ US is about 3 or 4 pints of ale in a pub.  I've already got at least 80 hour so entertainment for it, and plan to release an SP mission or two.

Totally worth it to me, despite map flaws.  The map is so big its easy for me to find areas AI performs well enough to create missions.  I'm guessing its the big CTI like mods/missions that run into trouble.  Example:  I tried Escape twice, and both times wandered for 30 minutes with no enemy contact, and abandoned vehicles because AI couldn't handle windy road driving.   But, I'm still a fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I'm with you Valken.  20$ US is about 3 or 4 pints of ale in a pub.  I've already got at least 80 hour so entertainment for it, and plan to release an SP mission or two.

Totally worth it to me, despite map flaws.  The map is so big its easy for me to find areas AI performs well enough to create missions.  I'm guessing its the big CTI like mods/missions that run into trouble.  Example:  I tried Escape twice, and both times wandered for 30 minutes with no enemy contact, and abandoned vehicles because AI couldn't handle windy road driving.   But, I'm still a fan.

Totally agree on Ale, Beer and Pizza valuation of games! :D

Map is totally worth it in terms of hours spent. I play mostly ESCAPE and RAVAGE and  SP, COOP or MP game modes on these MAPS, let alone gear and content is amazing. 

I shift to SOGPF Escape for a while. While waiting for Cam Lao Nam Ravage, I bought DayZ SA and played it as well to hold me over for Ravage MP on Cam Lao Nam. It will be amazing once it gets up and running. Ideally there would be a Ravage Escape on all new cDLC as gateways to ESCAPE and full time open world survival Ravage persistence servers. 

Imagine trying to build a base on Cam Lao Nam and HOLDING it against PVP in Ravage! Wow... Molly collection begins in 3, 2, 1... 

• Like 3

Vanilla Prairie Fire Napalm FX look awesome while burning, but when they end, there is no lasting effect on vegetation and buildings, which is bad for immersion.  So I created a script to persist napalm damage to the environment.  See it here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever the mod makers planned re MP only, that's fine by me, I'm planning to make several SP missions with all of the content.

It's a lovely mod, very inspiring to create missions on.

Damn shame that you can't move AI through the tunnels though, but maybe, there's a mission or two in there where AI support the lead until you get to the tunnel, then you enter the tunnel on your own and pray you survive to get back out again.

• Like 2

Happy to report that I have already brought in my mission template to the map and already begun the process of creating new sp/coop missions for Vietnam.

Having had a look at the SOG Campaign, it should be easy enough to recreate similar types of missions so you get the mod experience but making sure it caters for SP needs.

You'll command a 6-man squad and will have to complete multiple objectives.

You'll have a Medic to provide some limited revives to downed units.

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

• Like 2

Spent a few hours scoping out the map for mission locations tonight and tested a couple of ideas - reckon I've got about 6-7 missions, probably 8 in the end (if I get to them all).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1