bigshot

Questions: SOG Prairie Fire

I bought SOG on sale and I wish I hadn't. I have been stuck on the first mission and you will need AI mods to even attempt to play through it singple player. SOG AI mod makes the AI actually useable but then you have to deal with the poor mission design and scripting issues. First mission has you searching for a depot which is a small truck that can spawn apparently anywhere and if its not in the one marked place on the map you will have to walk aimlessly through the jungle to find it hoping you randomly run into it. Thats just the first mission. I guess if you avoid the campaign and just use the assets its worth it the assets are pretty nice. 

Couldn't help but notice some aircrew with C-119/AC-119 descriptions on them, is this a sign of things to come?🧐

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:41 PM, pandabacon said:

I bought SOG on sale and I wish I hadn't. I have been stuck on the first mission and you will need AI mods to even attempt to play through it singple player. SOG AI mod makes the AI actually useable but then you have to deal with the poor mission design and scripting issues. First mission has you searching for a depot which is a small truck that can spawn apparently anywhere and if its not in the one marked place on the map you will have to walk aimlessly through the jungle to find it hoping you randomly run into it. Thats just the first mission. I guess if you avoid the campaign and just use the assets its worth it the assets are pretty nice. 

The first mission introduces you to the way the enemy works - trackers and patrols - with a fairly simple reconnaissance objective - find the main north-south trail and handrail it north investigating any camps on either side of it. As it is a reconnaissance mission we don’t put an objective marker on the camp you are supposed to find. 

there are 3 camps in total, once you’ve done the mission a few times you’ll have a good idea where to go.

the campaign is also clearly advertised as multiplayer in all media. You can use SOG AI mod to try it solo. 

Hi @eggbeast,

big fan of your CDLC

currently I am finishing off an auto-revive mod for AI, complete with voice actors.

Because its a mod, its designed to be as compatible with as many workshop missions as possible. 

Wondering if I could get a code tip from you about disabling the SOG Revive system.

I checked how ACE do it, but they do it in pre-initialisation, tricking the SOG Revive into thinking its already loaded, by declaring value to variable (vn_advanced_revive_started = true;).

Our mod aims to not be too invasive - you have to manually turn it on once the mission has loaded - thus you have the option to not load it, and instead use the revive system used by mission creators. 

The flexibility to choose is the idea. 

Currently we have successfully got it to disable the native BI_Revive and Psychos Revive, would like to be able to also do it with SOG revive, without using the ACE method which takes away the flexibility of choice.

Currently I am using a quick and dirty method to disable SOG Revive, but its not ideal, because it might cancel event handlers used for other mission scripts.

if (!isNil "vn_advanced_revive_started") then {
	{
		_x removeAllEventHandlers "Killed"; 
		_x removeAllEventHandlers "Respawn"; 
		_x removeAllEventHandlers "HandleHeal";
		_x removeAllEventHandlers "handleDamage";
	} foreach allunits;
};

cheers help appreciated and look forward to the next update or project!!

Ben