US Embassy Building and compound - WIP

Some more screenshots - fixed problems with the shadow lod and have made progress with the lights 🙂 including helipad lights

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.06.31.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.06.01.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.04.59.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.04.49.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.05.11.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.03.46.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.03.29_-_11.04.09.

I'd remove the flare parameter from the hall lights if I was you. Other than that - top-notch work!

• Like 3

ok little more tinkering with the lights 😄 i am not married to the flares but figured i would experiment a bit

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.26.30.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.26.50.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.27.26.

also, expanded thing a little 😄

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.25.32.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.25.19.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.24.47.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.25.00.

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.04.03_-_08.24.33.

the dark black part surrounding the roof is next to be changed - it is a placeholder for panneling and details 😛 

13 hours ago, Katie Byrne said:

ok little more tinkering with the lights 😄 i am not married to the flares but figured i would experiment a bit

Sure, they look fantastic 🙂 I just noticed that you've made every single lamp a light source and I think it's not so fantastic anymore 😉 The light-saturated scene always hits performance and gameplay. Even more, if you plan to have there some intense action with lots of static objects, AI and players (weapon+flashlights). Most likely, you will find yourself in a situation where only part of the compound is illuminated at any given moment. The game engine will be switching lights off dynamically to keep the number of light sources below 12. And now, you have 36 sources in the hall section alone, and although they look great, two-thirds of them may be switched of upon entering the hall. I don't know what you make the embassy for, so perhaps it perfectly fits your purpose, right? Just my 2 cents from a possible end-user perspective 😉 
PS. I love the extended roof. It's always great to have more entry points to a large building - it's more realistic and gives more opportunities for players and AI.

8 hours ago, NightIntruder said:

Sure, they look fantastic 🙂 I just noticed that you've made every single lamp a light source and I think it's not so fantastic anymore 😉 The light-saturated scene always hits performance and gameplay. Even more, if you plan to have there some intense action with lots of static objects, AI and players (weapon+flashlights). Most likely, you will find yourself in a situation where only part of the compound is illuminated at any given moment. The game engine will be switching lights off dynamically to keep the number of light sources below 12. And now, you have 36 sources in the hall section alone, and although they look great, two-thirds of them may be switched of upon entering the hall. I don't know what you make the embassy for, so perhaps it perfectly fits your purpose, right? Just my 2 cents from a possible end-user perspective 😉 
PS. I love the extended roof. It's always great to have more entry points to a large building - it's more realistic and gives more opportunities for players and AI.

yes, i tihnk ultimately you are correct - ditching the flares will allow just a few light sources for the entire building, which will be simpler and perform better 🙂 

Yeah, it's sad but we can do nothing about the engine limitations. I've been seen it many times when great, beautiful mods were considered unusable due to performance issues, as these are the most common ones players in large milsim communities have been facing from the very beginning. However, you can add a lot of lighting details using "podsvit pristroju" tech to complement the scene - control boxes' lamps, working laptop&scanners screens, emergency/safety signs, edge safety lights on steps etc. I've been using it on large planes too, like sidewalls, but being a fake light (not active one) it did work to some extent only.

Concerning the limitations due to the engine, we hope that next ArmA engine will fix this kind of thinghs 😤

Yeah, they said A3 is not the end of the ARMA series, and future BI games will be based on Enfusion. No one said it's going to be Arma4, tho (whatever it would be). It might as well be a remake of A2 in the new engine which would be warmly welcomed by myself. Looking at what kind of vehicles and wrecks they were working on and then thrown into DayZ makes me believe in that. It'd be a really cost-effective solution from BI perspective. So perhaps, DayZ then may show us the current state of both Enfusion capabilities and limitations? It would be an ecstatic experience seeing this embassy's hall bathed in the light 😉

23 minutes ago, NightIntruder said:

Yeah, they said A3 is not the end of the ARMA series, and future BI games will be based on Enfusion. No one said it's going to be Arma4, tho (whatever it would be). It might as well be a remake of A2 in the new engine which would be warmly welcomed by myself. Looking at what kind of vehicles and wrecks they were working on and then thrown into DayZ makes me believe in that. It'd be a really cost-effective solution from BI perspective. So perhaps, DayZ then may show us the current state of both Enfusion capabilities and limitations? It would be an ecstatic experience seeing this embassy's hall bathed in the light 😉

This is getting really off-topic, but no unfortunately DayZ is not really showing us the capabilities and limitations of the Enfusion Engine. Long and complicated story short, DayZ is a hybrid of RV (the engine Arma and TOH use) and Enfusion. Afaik only the rendering and character controller are Enfusion, while the core is still good ol' RV. That's why the framerate has really improved in DayZ since the beta, but it still has it's arma-ish quirks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lilithsspawn said:

This is getting really off-topic

True. So, let's stick with A3 lighting limits while waiting to see what Katie will bring to us in the next update post 🙂

• Like 2

Bit slow on updates atm as the Elite Dangerous Odyssey Alpha is ongoing and my main YT channel is for Elite Dangerous lol 😄 

But, I am working on the permiter assets. just getting the structural ideas together atm so expect lots more detail but this is what i am tihnking for the main gate, with a kind of corner tower (to be fleshed out a bit still ideas wise)

gh1.png

gh2.png

gh3.png

I have started work on AI pathing and the fire geometry LOD too. So more in game footage to follow soon 🙂 

Will the building, and the compound be two separate objects?  It would be much more versatile if that were the case. 

Will a regular supply truck and a SWAT truck-based platform fit through the gate? It'd be great for any hostage rescue scenarios. Unless you plan to create another (and bigger) back gate, sort of a supply one or smth.  I'd also look at the sharp road edge (bump) just before the gate. Why? US President traveling in his "Beast" basically hung at such a feature of US Embassy during his visit in Poland once 😉 Anyway, love the perimeter, together with the embassy building forms an integrated whole 🙂

1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

Will the building, and the compound be two separate objects?  It would be much more versatile if that were the case. 

yes 🙂 the building will be its own object - with everything else around it optional 

1 hour ago, NightIntruder said:

Will a regular supply truck and a SWAT truck-based platform fit through the gate? It'd be great for any hostage rescue scenarios. Unless you plan to create another (and bigger) back gate, sort of a supply one or smth.  I'd also look at the sharp road edge (bump) just before the gate. Why? US President traveling in his "Beast" basically hung at such a feature of US Embassy during his visit in Poland once 😉 Anyway, love the perimeter, together with the embassy building forms an integrated whole 🙂

yes there is to be an 'open top' back gate as well, but this is all still at the ideas stage and i may also make the front gate clearance higher too 🙂 

This probably isn't the place for this - but seeing as the embassy project is getting close to completion I tohught i'd share a sneak peak of progress on my next project 😉 

prev14.png

prev15.png

Huh, sort of fast patrol boat with automatic weapon stations controlled by gunners sitting next to a cox ? The details and the overall feeling are absolutely amazing, great job Katie. How long have you been working on this particular part of a model?

9 hours ago, NightIntruder said:

Huh, sort of fast patrol boat with automatic weapon stations controlled by gunners sitting next to a cox ? The details and the overall feeling are absolutely amazing, great job Katie. How long have you been working on this particular part of a model?

about 10 hours in so far - also it's not a fast patrol boat - its a new LCAC 😄