thirith

AI helicopter takes off at point A, flies to point B, lands: how best to do this

From reading a fair number of threads, both here and on Reddit, on the topic, I get the impression that the following is still not something that's self-evident: what's the best way to have an AI helicopter on the ground at point A take off, fly to B and land?

The first part seems easy enough: I just put down the helicopter at A and a helipad at B, name them something along the lines heli1 and waypoint1, and then put heli1 move (getPos waypoint1) in the helicopter's init field.

However, when it comes to landing, it seems to get a bit complicated. I was thinking of something like this:

waitUntil (unitReady heli1);
heli1 land "LAND";

But would I also put this in the helicopter's init field? And if I did this with, say, a dozen units, would those individual scripts have a noticeable effect on how the mission runs? Might it make more sense to have triggers close to point B and only run the waitUntil part of the script once the helicopter has entered the trigger area?

Or am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

As already mentioned in several posts, the problems rise in combat environment.

You must script a little bit for the "driver".

There is no problem with multiple helos.

Thanks - I'll check out that video. For the mission I'm working on the combat environment shouldn't be an issue; it's a helicopter race, the kind of thing we might play at the end of a session to unwind. A couple of helicopter teams need to go and pick up units and drop them off at the base. I'm hoping to add scripting so that any helicopters not manned by players still take part, so that solo players don't feel all alone (and there's always something cool about flying together with other helicopters!).