thirith

Newly created mission, no mods - and no slots!

I've been running into the common problem that when I create a non-dedicated server and open a mission, no slots whatsoever are shown on the lobby screen. Usually people say that the problem is one of mods, e.g. the mission needs mods that you haven't currently loaded. The thing is this: I'm talking about a mission I created from scratch that doesn't include any mods, and I'm launching Arma without mods as well. More than that, this is a mission that worked okay yesterday, but today I added a couple of invisible helipads - and, suddenly, no more slots!

Can anyone help me with this problem? I can test the mission in SP, but obviously this won't let me check if all the slots are set up properly.

P.S.: In case this helps, here's a link to the RPT file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiIhjeAs3M6RkcVwJeEaMlgSRuiTHA?e=P9tgM0

thirith,

Update your description.ext to reflect the number of roles you have in the mission, so you have 12 playable units,

but your description states 8 in the header, update that and it should work.

See the error line:

18:27:12 Mission ttlg_co08_heli_taxi.Altis: Number of roles (12) is different from 'description.ext::Header::maxPlayer' (8)

Btw its easier, simpler, and faster to use this site ---->  https://justpaste.it/

when linking an rpt, just select all in the rpt, copy n paste on that site, click publish, and paste the link to it in your post.

Just a thought 😉

Cool, that's a good tip re: justpaste.it!

I'll check the description, though it'd be weird, because the state the mission was in yesterday, when the slots showed, was the same as today, other than the additional invisible helipads. Then again, Arma wouldn't be Arma if it wasn't weird every now and then...

Hi thirith getting back to you, sorry my job had me doing 12hrs monday so been busy and tired,

anyways your rpt dont really show much of anything that i can identify as causing the no slots issue.

About the only thing that comes to mind per your op is the invisible helicopter pads, maybe remove those as a test and see if the slots show.

Also link your mission to download if you dont mind maybe i can take a look and see if i can see anything.

No worries, Gunter! I don't expect the pros on the forums to be at my beck and call 24/7. 😉

I've since continued working on the mission, and sometimes the slots pop up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes without me having made any changes to the mission.

If you want to have a look to see if there's an immediate problem with the code, you can download the mission here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiIhjeAs3M6RkcV1JynIwO9_coGm3Q?e=kZ9uRj

I've not done any optimisation, so there's definitely code in there that will make most people roll their eyes or go pale, but if there are any obvious errors in how I've gone about things that could explain the issue with the slots, I'd definitely be happy to hear about them. However, I will not take any blame for the AI pilots' tendency to crash into each other and burn - and that's half the fun of a helicopter race, innit? 😁

Checked out your mission, i dont really see anything that could prevent the slots from working, again could be those helipads but cant say, nice otherwise.

Thanks for having a look at it! Over the last two days, the problem with the slots hasn't reoccurred, so I'm really thinking it may have been due to any other number of factors and not the obvious, clear ones.

I'll tweak the mission a bit more and then I'll upload it on Steam. I might also start a thread here, just to see if people are interested in that kind of thing and if they have any suggestions how I can improve it.