sko2

[Solved] Exit code: 0xC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I am getting this error constantly while playing. It has made it impossible to play on my unit and I have run out of ideas on how to fix it. It occurs both with and without mods and it is not consistent. Sometimes I can play for 3 hours, other times only 3 minutes. I have tried the solutions suggested 
at both https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898170227 and https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Unusual_process_exit#0xC0000005_-_ACCESS_VIOLATION, but neither have helped. I have also tested my hardware components and ran stability tests and nothing seems to be the problem on the hardware side. Does anyone have any ideas what is actually causing this to happen? Does anyone know of any other fixes to try?

My specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 3600x

GPU: NVIDIA 2070 SUPER

RAM: 2x8 3600 Mhz

Monitor: 1440p

3.5mm wired headphones, USB keyboard, USB mouse, and USB mic

I really enjoy the game, but this has made it impossible to play. Any help would be really appreciated!

Hi welcome to BI forums!

Looking at your rpt, maybe try without these parameters:

-malloc=system

-maxMem=12288

-maxVRAM=6144

You already have high specs, run the game at the default level without mods and see how it plays.

Thanks for the welcome!

And thank you for the suggestion, however I have recently set those as an attempt to fix the error that existed before. Obviously, these have not helped either. Would you have any other suggestions?

Welcome.

Ok, what comes to mind are some questions:

• When did this start happening, or did it always happen since you bought the game?
  • What are you playing when the issue occurs, are you playing a mission you built, playing a downloaded mission/subbed, or on a server?
  • When in a mission, what map or maps and where on the map does the issue show up?
  • Whats happening when your playing, lots of AI, lots of explosions or rather low key and it just happens?

Idea here is to determine those things that could "trigger" a crash, or the error to occur, it could be a combination of scripts in

a mission conflicting (rpt to verify), or something related to the game and hardware, be it overheating, or even something corrupt.

Need to see your latest rpt, a full rpt, so when you play again, in the arma3 launcher uncheck the box for the no logs in the parameters,

then play the game like normal and when it crashes go here ----->  C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

and grab the rpt.

1. Open it with notepad, copy it all and then
  2. paste it here https://justpaste.it/
  3. publish it, and post the link in your reply.

Thanks for taking an interest into this, it really means a lot to me.

Q: When did this start happening, or did it always happen since you bought the game?

A: It may have always happened, I honestly can't remember, but it has certainly always happened on this machine I built last summer. I have put up with it for a while since it's not a big deal if it only happens every hour or so when playing King of the Hill, but when I'm doing ops with a group it is a real bummer.

Q: What are you playing when the issue occurs, are you playing a mission you built, playing a downloaded mission/subbed, or on a server?

A: It has happened in Eden, multiplayer Zeus (Official), multiplayer KOTH (CodeFourGaming), and co-op missions (custom unit ops).

Q: When in a mission, what map or maps and where on the map does the issue show up?

A: It seems to not care what map. It has occurred on Tanoa, Stratis, Altis, and also some of the modded WW2 maps I've been using recently.

Q: Whats happening when your playing, lots of AI, lots of explosions or rather low key and it just happens?

A: Both. There have been times where it crashes during intense urban fighting with a lot of AI or a ton of explosions, but it has also just randomly crashed when it is just me standing in a field by myself.

I feel these answers don't seem to help narrow anything too much, but the crashes really do seem random and unpredictable from my view point. For a while I thought it was because I was using a BT headset so I stopped using it, and it seemed to have made the crashes less frequent (anecdotal evidence), but it still does crash pretty often. Further, at least in my group ops, once the crash starts, it is very persistent and happens within 5 minutes of reconnecting to the server. So I can play for 90 minutes and everything is fine, but once it crashes the first time, it won't go away and makes it impossible to continue.

Here is my most recent crash from today, I went in Eden and added a bunch of AI hoping that would make it crash fast, but it actually took a couple runs and didn't occur until basically the end when there didn't seem to be much AI left. I also didn't have to uncheck "no logs" because it was already unchecked. Please let me know if this rpt is what you're looking for:

https://justpaste.it/5jwfs

1 hour ago, sko2 said:

Thanks for taking an interest into this, it really means a lot to me.

Hey your very welcome, hate to see someone struggle and deal with such an issue and not be able to play this Awesome game!

I try and theres no guarantees on any fixes rather i would hope to change the perspective and narrow down the focus

with alot of information as to what could be the cause of the issue.

If anything trying various things and them not working is a process of elimination, basically checking off your list of possible causes

its sometimes long and tedious to do such a thing, but at the same time if your really into Arma3, then learning about

various aspects of the game, and your hardware will provide much understanding and add to your experience.

Anyways thanks for the answers to those questions,

2 hours ago, sko2 said:

Please let me know if this rpt is what you're looking for:

Yes! Reviewing your rpt, thanks for that, it shows alot but not exactly as to what is causing the crashes, there are many errors,

also i see you running various mods, to, as you said in your OP that with or without mods it crashes.

What comes to mind is the crashes imo could be a few things, heres what i think they

could be but dont take my word on it:

- Graphics driver needs an update or somehow is interfering and using up memory.

- Your memory ram and or gpu is being used up by something else.

Question

Do you have any external programs running while the game is running, like antivirus, malware, chat programs, and other

programs like game performance enhancers

game recording app, or some other program?

- If while playing you have your logs on (rpt on full box unchecked in parameters) it is very possible that because of the spam

that the rpt is getting that it could ... possibly use up some memory to the point at which theres not enough avaliable

to sustain certain functions and the game then crashes, it cant be the whole reason, so turn off the logs.

Heres what i suggest to try:

• Turn off rpt logs.
  • Check your graphics driver to be sure its latest/up to date.
  • Readd the malloc parameter.
  • Delete all .dll files in the ARMA 3 DLL folder, restart steam, and then do a verify and test without mods.
  • Open your taskmanager and look for any programs running that you dont use, and disable them, only those you can identify and know what they do.
  • Turn off Rivatuner Statistics if you have it and are using it.
  • Test again and watch the performance in task manager and look at the memory and cpu, are they maxed out, or not.

Other notes,

i did some research and compiled some links below, maybe review the information and see what comes to mind

and or things you can try aside what i pointed out above.

Quote from steam commenter who had a fix:

This worked for me:

1. Go to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local
(AppData may be hidden, if so you can find it by entering %APPDATA% in the address bar)

2. Rename the "Arma 3" directory to something else
(example, "Arma 3 - Copy" just to keep it as backup just in case)

3. Now open the launcher and try again. The "Arma 3" directory will be regenerated, FYI.

I found a solution for those who have this problem when running it with mods, but it works fine without mods.
For me it was the !workshop folder that was set to hidden for some reason.

Go to you Arma 3 folder located at C:\program files\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3
there you can find a folder called !workshop, right click that folder and navigate to properties.
if hidden is ticked, then untick it.

Should work now.

When my game kept crashing and gave me STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION, i googled so many solutions and nothing worked.

so i decided to look at my event viewer and see if it produced more info, and it did. it was calling it bad_module_info.

so i googled that and it gave some good fixes. made my game more stable.. still some crashes, so i also looked at the warnings before

the APP crash, and it was The Application-Specific Permission Settings Do not Grant Local Activation Permission. so I googled fixes on that

and now my game rarely ever crashes. here is the links i used for those two fixes. hope it helps.

https://www.pcerror-fix.com/solved-how-to-fix-bad_module_info-error-in-windows-10-while-gamming

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-error/#:~:text=What Causes the “The Application,Grant Local Activation Permission” Error%3F&text=Invalid Permissions%3A The Error occurs,indicated in the event log.

Some information on what the error is, i quote from Tom's Hardware:

An access violation is normally local to your own system.
Or I should say more to the point where a Dynamic Link Library file tries to access a part of your main system memory of your where

for example it is system reserved for the windows operating system.

Anything such as an on board graphics solution of a motherboard is an example where a block of main system memory

is reserved for such things as texture cache.

The cause of it can be two things, the first is low system memory, while trying to run Arma 3 for example.
You should check to see how much free ram you have available.
To save memory you can try to disable all of the programs that auto start after windows os has loaded.
Depending on how many are set to auto run.

To prevent them from running.
Click on start, in the search box, or bar type: msconfig.
Press enter.

Click on the startup tab in the new box that opens.
Simply un tick all of the programs you wish not to auto run after windows has loaded.
Click apply, and restart your system.

If you have an on board video solution on your motherboard, but you use a Graphics card in the Pci-e slot of the motherboard for graphics. Have a look in your bios

to see if there is an option to disable the graphics solution on the motherboard it`s self.

There is one more thing that can cause the errors you see, and it is down to the antivirus software you may use.
Some have real time protection, in other words it monitors all data being read, and written to memory.

That can sometimes be the cause of a memory access violation error message.
You should disable your antivirus in such a case as a test to see if it is the cause of the errors you are experiencing.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Gunter for all these suggestions! I have tried quite a few of them, but I am still getting the crashes.

However, I developed a hunch that maybe this isn't explicitly an ARMA problem and went to investigate some of my other games' crash logs. Sure enough, I found my random Kerbal Space Program crashes were due to STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION's. Even further, I have had my Firefox tabs crash on rare occasions and upon further inspection it is also due to a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. So I now suspect that this problem is not ARMA's fault, but either a hardware or system fault. I thought maybe my RAM could have been the problem, but it is holding strong against stability tests so it seems unlikely it is at fault. I saw this can be due to malicious infections, so I have scanned my machine for any malware or viruses but didn't find any (not surprising since this machine is exclusively for PC gaming). I will likely reinstall the OS today just to be sure though.

Do you have any suggestions for ruling out a hardware error being the culprit? Unfortunately I do not have any extra components lying around to swap in for testing. Do you think this is a plausible cause for the random crashes in some of my games? I know this is maybe out of the scope of ARMA now, but I have really appreciated your help throughout all this.

13 hours ago, sko2 said:

Do you have any suggestions for ruling out a hardware error being the culprit?

From what you have described seeing that whatever it is, is effecting a few other games, seems to me it may be due to

something with hardware, maybe OS fault, maybe even motherboard issue i really cant say,

About the only other things i can suggest is test for overheating, anything causing resources to be drawn away from the games, even check drivers for motherboard, gpu,

overall at this point it would be best to get the computer/Arma3 pros in here as they would have a better

idea of what it may be and or what you should do.

These guys test various builds of computers/parts with Arma3, i think they may have a better idea/perspective on what

could be happening, what to check/test and or do about it.

@oldbear @Groove_C @Tankbuster You guys have any idea of what maybe going on for sko2 here,

should he reinstall his OS, or what would you guys suggest, i mean is there something he could test to determine that its a hardware issue as it seems

the crashing is effecting not just Arma but the other games he plays.

13 hours ago, sko2 said:

Do you think this is a plausible cause for the random crashes in some of my games?

Yes absolutely, i think you have followed your hunches well and went to compare notes as i like to call it, something i would do myself

as you have found out if the same thing is happeneing to your other games and not just Arma then most likely it could be narrowed down to

drivers, OS updates, lack of resources for something that needs it, like a bottleneck, overheating cpu which i doubt, low memory issue, or even faulty hardware

can be a number of things, but i think your on the right track.

13 hours ago, sko2 said:

I know this is maybe out of the scope of ARMA now, but I have really appreciated your help throughout all this. 

Hey np man, you play Arma in my eyes you took that step to get into Arma which means your part

of this community too, im here to help where i can, this game dont really go anywhere if the community isn't thriving and everyone is doing their thing.

It would really suck for me too, to be dealing with computer or game issues as you are dealing with, so i feel your pain i been there, i would feel happy

to see you narrow this down, solve it and then be able to go back ingame without any future issues.

Lets see what happens, hopefully they respond and can help.

Initial thoughts are that despite the RAM testing good, it might actually be faulty.

As GS says, make sure the onboard gpu is disabled.

@Tankbuster, since I have a Ryzen 5 3600x I don't believe I get to choose if the onboard GPU is disabled, since there is none, correct?

I looked in the BIOS settings and didn't find any setting related to it (doesn't mean I just didn't see it though).

I also agree about the RAM, I have no evidence, but I feel the RAM may be faulty. It has yet to yield any errors in 8 stability test runs though, so maybe it is fine after all.

I will test the RAM tomorrow first thing after a cold boot to see if that maybe coaxes any errors out.

Hey np man, you play Arma in my eyes you took that step to get into Arma which means your part

of this community too, im here to help where i can, this game dont really go anywhere if the community isn't thriving and everyone is doing their thing.

@Gunter Severloh, again I can't stress enough how helpful you've been. You've been a great ambassador for the ARMA community.

I was running out of ideas on what was causing my crashes, but you've really helped me narrow it down to just a couple reasons now. Thank you.

I reinstalled my OS yesterday and have yet to have any crashes, but to be fair, I have not had much time to test my games yet.

If I can get through from now til the end of weekend, I will post back here saying that my problem is probably fixed.

If not, well, I'll be back here before then.

• Like 1

Ah, OK, this CPU has on onboard graphics - that rules that out - good.

I  hope your OS reinstall fixes this, very best of luck. I have that feel too about the RAM. Have you reseated it? Physically take it out of it's slots, blow some air into the slot, make sure the RAM board is clean and doesn't look structurally damaged and put the RAM back in. I can recall a number of situations where a reseat fixes, or reveals, the problem.

I once found a staple lodged in the AGP port (shows how long ago it was) of my own PC. The motherboard went on to serve another year or so, the GPU... not so much.

@Tankbuster : No IGPU in the  Ryzen 5 3600x, you need  to get a discrete GPU, at least one GT 710 to have a display on the screen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sko2 said:

@Gunter Severloh, again I can't stress enough how helpful you've been. You've been a great ambassador for the ARMA community.

I was running out of ideas on what was causing my crashes, but you've really helped me narrow it down to just a couple reasons now. Thank you. 

Very welcome, ya thats kinda of what i like to help with, depending on the issue if i dont know for sure whats causing the issue then

i treat it like one of my mod compilations where if the game is getting an error, or has an issue, then a process of elinimation is idea,

you basically have to rule out what the issue is not.

Perspectives from many different people help, with different "ideas" or information to look at about a single thing, it doesn't necessary

narrow the issue but it allows you to look into something you might have missed, something to check off your list.

21 hours ago, sko2 said:

I reinstalled my OS yesterday and have yet to have any crashes

Thats a good start, or sign, i hope.

I know there is logs that tell you whats going on with the computer, theres a term for them, its been a long time since i

but like the game how it creates an rpt and lists what your running, playing with, parameters, and any issues, the computer

should also do the same in its own way, if you can locate such logs.

Here check this out https://www.muo.com/tag/how-to-test-your-pc-for-failing-hardware/

Report some good news would you 😉

I had the same -exit-code-0xc0000005-status_access_violation problem, but I found the solution that worked for me:

It happens after a few minutes of play when I use my Bluetooth (wireless) Jabra Evolve 2 headphones.

When I use speakers or a wired headphone: no crash!

so in my case it looks like Arma is not compatible with some bluetooth sound drivers

@hansham, thank you for the suggestion. I thought for a while that this was my problem as well, but I still did experience crashes even when using a wired headset.

This is a good suggestion for others looking for fixes to this particular issues though, so I'm glad it's in this thread.

@Tankbuster @Gunter Severloh, unfortunately the crashes did not end! They showed up about a day after I reinstalled the OS.

However, fortunately, I was able to borrow some old RAM from a friend, and when I am using my friend's RAM I do not get any crashes whatsoever.

Further, the Windows Event Viewer errors that constantly popped up with my RAM completely cease with my friend's RAM installed as well.

This has led me to be pretty confident that my RAM is indeed the culprit although it still has not failed any stability tests.

My plan now is to try and get a warranty replacement for my RAM since it is still less than a year old.

I'd like to thank both of you for your help in solving my problem! With the testing I did with the temporary RAM,

I am all but certain that all my issues were caused by a problem with my RAM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sko2 said:

when I am using my friend's RAM I do not get any crashes whatsoever.

3 hours ago, sko2 said:

errors that constantly popped up with my RAM completely cease with my friend's RAM installed as well.

Thats an interesting discovery, what errors was it showing if you can give me an idea?

My idea of what could have been possibly occuring was the ram somehow failed to store memory needed by the game

and the game ended up crashing because of lack of resource, otherwise not effecting your OS or computer overall as the demand is greater

with the game running.

3 hours ago, sko2 said:

I'd like to thank both of you for your help in solving my problem! With the testing I did with the temporary RAM,

Very welcome, im very happy that we/you were able to narrow down the issue to this, and now you can get back to

playing, very good news, and glad i was able to help!

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh, I was getting a lot of 0xc0000005 exceptions for services that were running in the background.

I was also getting other errors too, but they seemed more random and varied.

Every now and then there would just be an error logged in the Event Viewer for application errors.

There were also constant security audit failures that warned that I "may have a problem with the hard disk".

This made me believe the error may have been with my SSD, but that error disappears with different RAM installed.

Pretty interesting to say the least, all that because of the ram, sounds like either faulty ram or

worn out.   So you had 16gb of ram per your op, when you installed your friends ram was the ram the same amount, size and frequency,

or more then what you had?

14 hours ago, sko2 said:

However, fortunately, I was able to borrow some old RAM from a friend, and when I am using my friend's RAM I do not get any crashes whatsoever.

Further, the Windows Event Viewer errors that constantly popped up with my RAM completely cease with my friend's RAM installed as well.

This has led me to be pretty confident that my RAM is indeed the culprit although it still has not failed any stability tests.

My plan now is to try and get a warranty replacement for my RAM since it is still less than a year old.

Good news! I tell you what would be interesting... is your friend able to install your RAM in his PC?

@Gunter Severloh, they had the same amount, but a tad slower (3200MHz).

I don't think this should make a difference since my RAM has problems at both 3600MHz and 2133MHz though.

@Tankbuster, we could try that! However, they are running only Linux on their machine so it may be hard to do direct comparisons.

• Like 1

Since yesterday's update I have permanent crashes when I push the button "scenarios".
I can play the campaign, can open the editor and play my own missions there. Everything without problems.
But at the moment when I want to open scenarios ... the loading screen appears, a few seconds later the game crashes. And I got this 0xC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I try the thngs what the comunty write there: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898170227,
it didn*t work.
I install the game new, it didnt help.
I has let check my hardware in a services, anything ok.
I try other gammes, anything works well.

Somebody have any idea what it can be`?

1 hour ago, t.g.1911 said:

Since yesterday's update I have permanent crashes when I push the button "scenarios".
I can play the campaign, can open the editor and play my own missions there. Everything without problems.
But at the moment when I want to open scenarios ... the loading screen appears, a few seconds later the game crashes. And I got this 0xC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I try the thngs what the comunty write there: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898170227,
it didn*t work.
I install the game new, it didnt help.
I has let check my hardware in a services, anything ok.
I try other gammes, anything works well.

Somebody have any idea what it can be`?

Hello,

Same for me, played and updated yesterday, and today i can't play solo missions in "Presentations" anymore: Crash to windows with the same Error-Message. I tried the editor: it works.

BIS, please, maybe could you check your last Game update?

Thanks

EDIT:

Very interesting: After my post i wanted to check the tip of hansham about the wireless headphones (Posted Friday at 12:44 PM).
For information I use a Steelseries arctis 7 wireless. but without the steelseries software, I let windows manage, it does it very well. I can switch between the channel of my "normal" speakers und 2 channels for the Headphone: "game" or "Chat".

I play usually with the "game" channel. And this evening, i did apparently wrong, the "chat" channel was selected.

I swiched back to "game" and tried to play: no more crashes...

If it can help to understand... But for me, this crash shouldn't be with any channel...

Edited by giuppo
info updated

giuppo. thanks for your answer. But I didn't use any headphone, so it didn't can be in my case.

martiilkow@yahoo.com Welcome to BI forums!

Suggest changing your username to something you like not your email address.

As for your issue, suggest reviewing this thread as i had posted many solutions in it, first i would suggest is to delete everything in your rpt folder

which can be found here ----> C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

and then do a verify integrity of cache.

It may not solve anything but you would at least know you have latest updated files for the game.

Also post your computer specs, and run the game without mods, and post your

latest rpt when you get the issue, rpt can be found at the bolded address above,

open the rpt with notepad, copy all and paste it here ----> https://justpaste.it/

publish and post the link in your reply, will take a look.