thirith

ACE3 worth it if stripped of most of the realism aspects?

There's a lot that appeals to me when it comes to ACE3, including some functionality that simply isn't on offer otherwise, from the ACE3 interaction menu via map gestures/tools and advanced throwing to the way it ties into ACRE2 (e.g. vehicle racks and intercom). At the same time, I don't think the many elements that strive for more realism would be right for me and my small coop group, at least not at present.

From what I understand, it's easy enough to deactivate pretty much all of these elements. What I'm wondering, though, is whether there are any players here who have some experience with ACE3 stripped of those elements and whether it's worth including it already for the additional functionality, even if we end up deactivating a large part of what makes ACE3 ACE3?

P.S.: Obviously there is a chance of a minimalist ACE3 setup acting as a gateway drug. I don't know how feasible this is, but who knows...

Just like Arma, ACE is what you make of it. I like most of ACE's components, with possibly the only exception being the advanced medical stuff. There's just not a lot of fun there for the wounded person. Maybe a very large group doing realistic "one-life" ops would make good use of it, but otherwise I don't see the attraction.

I say "go for it." Worst case, you'll decide it's not for you.

• Like 2

I think it’s the medical system (advanced or not) that I think might be the sticking point, because it seems to add a fair bit of friction. Many other aspects seem more like additions you can but don’t have to use, and some fill in gaps in the options the game offers. At the same time, since the missions we play use a few different medical systems, so we never know whether we can drag or not in this system or whether the wounded can crawl or not, ACE3 might make every mission work the same medical-wise (that is, if it overwrites whatever is built into the missions).

• Like 1

Yeah, you'll need to accept at least the core of the med system unless you want to mess around with keeping your own ACE repo (without the med system). If that's even a thing that you can still do.

• Like 1