jujurat

Fort Bragg Training Grounds

fort-bragg-icon-bigg.png

ABOUT

[RATS.ins] jujurat presents Fort Bragg Training Grounds, a 1km terrain that seeks to provide a playable, atmospheric, and engaging take on North Carolina wetlands in WW2. Fort Bragg is a US Military Base that was home to the 9th Infantry Division and Carolina Maneuvers. This terrain attempts to recreate those wetlands, and the areas around it in the approximate time period using real world data, and of course some fictional liberties taken to make the map playable for Arma.

Home of the 9th Infantry Division

Fort Bragg is a major United States Army installation Base in Cumberland and Hoke counties, North Carolina, situated mostly in Fayetteville but also partly in the town of Spring Lake. It covers over 251 square miles (650km2) in four counties. Camp Bragg was established in 1918 as an Artillery training ground. The aim was for six Artillery Brigades to be stationed there and $6,000,000 was spent on the land and cantonment. There was an airfield on the camp used by aircraft and balloons for Artillery spotters which was named Pope Field on April 1st, 1919, in honor of First Lieutenant H. Pope, an airman who was killed while flying nearby. The work on the camp was finished on November 1st, 1919. It was named to honor the native North Carolinian, General Braxton Bragg, who commanded Confederate States Army forces in the Civil War.

This terrain was created in about six hours for the purposes of training for WW2 units (my unit, the 9th Infantry Division in particular), and for any general purpose use. I have not used any IFA3 objects in the terrain in-case anyone would like to use it for miscellaneous purposes.

Features

Swamp/wetlands.
Extensive trees and forests.
Rugged roads and complex forest terrain.
Custom lighting config.

Plans for the Future

There is nothing majorly planned for this terrain. It is intentionally small and serves as a preview of quality coming up with my Hürtgen Forest terrain, which is 4km large.
Possibly a new sat map if I get around to it, but for now, I'm using the satellite version, which is responsible for some rather jarring artifacts in some places.

Stats for Nerds

1km
Cell Size 2

Credits and Thanks

For providing great information and help at times of need:
Mondkalb
Ice
Adanteh
A3 Discord Terrain Channel

Friends, Historical References:
Motta (Fellow 9th Infantry Division fanatic)
Vintorez

This map was made for my WW2 realism unit, 9th Infantry Division; as well as the WW2 Arma 3 Community. Thanks.

DOWNLOAD
Current mirror: Steam Workshop.
I don't intend on uploading it to Armaholic, but if someone would like to do so, that's fine. Just use all of the information posted here. 🙂
Terrain images included on Steam Workshop page.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1