RozekPoland

D3D8TO9 - the ultimate OFP/ACWA performance booster(?)

d3d8to9

"This is a pseudo-driver module that intends to improve compatibility and stability in games using Direct3D 8 for rendering by converting all API calls and low-level shaders to equivalent Direct3D 9 ones."

I have done some testing to find out if there is any performance boost using D3D8TO9. For this purpose I used OFPMark 2 by @toadlife (DIRECT LINK) which is the most reliable benchmark in terms of performance. The tests were repeated a number of times to make sure the results are reliable. To maximize the outcome of the test, the benchmark was launched with V-sync (vertical synchronization) disabled. Tested on ACWA (1.99) with no add-ons or mods and with no change in any of the game settings.

VANILLA | D3D8TO9

V-sync: OFF

(5152.36) : (7641.14)

NEcKDiC.png?1fs1Ydyl.png?1

The performance boost is noticeable. Performance was boosted at approximately 48%! Worth noting the difference in Test Four and Test Five which are the most demanding. Keep in mind the results may differ depending on machine and its settings.

I would like to ask you to do the tests on your machines and share your results here in this thread to find out if d3d8to9 is the ultimate performance booster.

As a side note, I have noticed that D3D8TO9 removes/fixes the two cursors issue for OFP (1.96). It was fixed in ACWA (1.99).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Specs: CPU - i5 9400, GPU - UHD 630, RAM - 8GB 2666Mhz CL19, OS - Windows 10 (Note: Game was installed on an SSD)

No .dll, not windowed (4007.4 points):
no-dll-no-window.png
.dll, not windowed (4758.78 points):
yes-dll-no-window.png
No .dll, windowed (4508.68 points):
no-dll-yes-window.png
.dll, windowed (5028.24 points):
yes-dll-yes-window.png

Thanks for the info on .dll btw.

EDIT: I retried .dll, windowed again but this time I tried to benchmark it twice with no game restarts just mission restart and this is the result I got in 2nd mission restart:
Capture.png

The final score is pretty close to the 3rd picture (no .dll, windowed result) BUT in the latest picture if you look at test one I get 45.9593 but in my 4th picture (.dll, windowed result) I get 70.9282 and the rest of the test (test two three four and five) is approximately close. What does this mean? Does that mean its only useful on the start of the mission?

You can try to ADD dkvk to convert DirectX 9 to OpenGL for more speed, not sure if possible.

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

Just copy the d3d9.dll into the same folder as d3d8.dll. It will pass from Direct X 8 to 9, from Direct X 9 to Vulkan.

I tried it in Arma 3 single player, much smoother and give it a minute to create the shader cache folder, so give it a shot.

But unsure if it is battleeye compatible so no MP games tested.

2 hours ago, Valken said:

You can try to ADD dkvk to convert DirectX 9 to OpenGL for more speed, not sure if possible.

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

Just copy the d3d9.dll into the same folder as d3d8.dll. It will pass from Direct X 8 to 9, from Direct X 9 to Vulkan.

I tried it in Arma 3 single player, much smoother and give it a minute to create the shader cache folder, so give it a shot.

But unsure if it is battleeye compatible so no MP games tested.

It didn't work. I got 4042.04 on windowed. That's 500 points less.

g6HdYe.jpg

Before-After

Nice performance boost of ~25% thank you!

You could also add DXVK on top. Download and copy dll files from the x32 folder to the game dir. In this video you'll find how to enable FPS counter.

Xa4lQlI.jpg

I recommend to run previous tests (default, d3d8to9) again so that the circumstances are the same for all three. Here are my results:

XTmLPIJ.jpg

The game works much better with this, better colors, great performance, it took only 20 years 🙂

Awesome, thanks. I'm using this with ReShade (Vibrance + SMAA) + Radeon Sharpening(16x) + Anisotropic Filtering(100%). CWA/OFP is better than ever.

Recently Direct3D 8 to Vulkan was released so I've rerun the tests including latest versions of the existing hacks. Looks like I'm getting the best result with the latest dxvk but multitexturing looks pretty bad so I'm going to stick with d8vk.

Edit: DXVK might be interfering with buldozer.exe

Edited by faguss
buldozer info
  • Like 1