shadowywarrior2

"missing description.ext::Header" Server error

Whenever I start my server up, it shows up in the server browser as "Setting Up", and when I try to join the server it just states that the maximum number of players have been reached. I had a working Description.ext, but now I keep getting this error and the server isn't playable. I've already tried to place it in the PBO when I export the mission, and I've tried to just place it in the mpmissions directory, and neither work. Thanks for any help!

Here is the way the Ext. is currently set up:
// GENERAL
disabledAI    = 1;    // 0 = Fill with AI, 1 = Don't fill with AI.
joinUnassigned   = 1;    // 0 = Join server assigned, 1 = Join unassigned.
disableChannels[]    = {0,1,6}; // 0 = Global, 1 = Side, 2 = Command, 3 = Group, 4 = Vehicle, 5 = Direct, 6 = System.
enableDebugConsole  = 1;    // 0 = Disabled, 1 = Admins only, 2 = Everyone (Why is this even an option?).
showGPS     = 1;   // 0 = Disable GPS, 1 = Enable GPS.
showCompass    = 1;   // 0 = Disable compass, 1 = Enable compass.
showWatch    = 1;   // 0 = Disable watch, 1 = Enable watch.

class Header {
 gameType    = Coop;   // Game type
 minPlayers    = 1;    // Min # of players the mission supports.
 maxPlayers    = 5;    // Max # of players the mission supports.
};

// LOAD SCREEN
author     = "[
41st Elite Corps]";
onLoadName = "19 BBY";
onLoadMission = "Commander Gree // Patrol Routes and Transportation";

// RESPAWN
respawn     = 3;   // 0 = None, 1 = Bird, 2 = Instant, 3 = Base, 4 = Group, 5 = Side.
respawnDelay    = 10;      // Time in seconds to respawn.
respawnDialog   = 0;   // 0 = Off, 1 = Score table on death.
respawnOnStart   = 0;   // Start mission as if each player just respawned (Dialogs etc). 1 = TRUE, 0 = FALSE.
respawnButton    = 1;   // Disables respawn button in menu?

there are 2 places that define how many players can join the server/mission. The description.ext is not one of them.

The class header in the description.ext is afaik only used to display information on the server browser.

So the actual number of players allowed to join the server/mission is defined in:

1. The mission.sqm (Mission editor) and is based on the number of playable units you have defined in each unit you placed on the map
  2. In your server config defined by  "MaxPlayers"

The description.ext should be placed in the root of the mission folder, same location as the mission.sqm

2 hours ago, terox said:

there are 2 places that define how many players can join the server/mission. The description.ext is not one of them.

The class header in the description.ext is afaik only used to display information on the server browser.

So the actual number of players allowed to join the server/mission is defined in:

1. The mission.sqm (Mission editor) and is based on the number of playable units you have defined in each unit you placed on the map
  2. In your server config defined by  "MaxPlayers"

The description.ext should be placed in the root of the mission folder, same location as the mission.sqm

Hmm that's odd, since I do have the correct amount of people selected in the editor, as such in the Desc. Im not sure if this would help, but in the browser where the amount of players are displayed it shows a singular number and that always being 0, since nobody can get in. 

Reorder your description,

this is how i do mine and never had an issue with slots player not showing:

class Header
{
  gameType = Coop;
  minPlayers = 1;
  maxPlayers = 8;
};

respawn = "base";
respawndelay = 2;

onLoadName = "Desert OPS Run - Tactical Arena";
onLoadMission = "Locate the ammocaches, the commander, the garrisoned enemy and eliminate them!";
author = "Gunter Severloh & Rydygier";
loadScreen = "Desert OPS Run.jpg";

==============

For your respawn setup, all you need is this for a base respawn:

respawn = "base";
respawndelay = 10;

All the other settings you have can be done in the editor under 

Attributes ----> Multiplayer

Type - set min and max players

Lobby - enable disable AI

Respawn - disable scoreboard, set respawn time, type, disable allow manual respawn

Be sure the Description.ext is in the folder of the mission same location of the mission.sqm

Also make sure you have the same number of playable units, so you have 5 max, then make sure you

have 1 player unit and 4 playable units.

the order of placement in the description.ext does not make a difference

Having the incorrectly defined class header at most throws up an error in the rpt file

You can completely delete that header class with no effect on the mission

NOTE: Header class can also be defined in the mission editor under the "Attributes/Multiplayer" tab

If your server is having issues loading so that you cannot connect based on player slots, first thing I would do is remove all of the custom missions from your mpmissions folder on the server to some temporary folder (NOT A SUB FOLDER OF MPMISSIONS)

Then try loading a BIS mission

If that fixes it add a selection of missions at a time un til you narrow the issue down to a batch/single mission/

If you cannot connect with no custom missions loaded, then its a server configuration issue.

10 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Reorder your description,

this is how i do mine and never had an issue with slots player not showing:

class Header
{
  gameType = Coop;
  minPlayers = 1;
  maxPlayers = 8;
};

respawn = "base";
respawndelay = 2;

onLoadName = "Desert OPS Run - Tactical Arena";
onLoadMission = "Locate the ammocaches, the commander, the garrisoned enemy and eliminate them!";
author = "Gunter Severloh & Rydygier";
loadScreen = "Desert OPS Run.jpg";

==============

For your respawn setup, all you need is this for a base respawn:

respawn = "base";
respawndelay = 10;

All the other settings you have can be done in the editor under 

Attributes ----> Multiplayer

Type - set min and max players

Lobby - enable disable AI

Respawn - disable scoreboard, set respawn time, type, disable allow manual respawn

Be sure the Description.ext is in the folder of the mission same location of the mission.sqm

Also make sure you have the same number of playable units, so you have 5 max, then make sure you

have 1 player unit and 4 playable units.

So I tried to change up the order of the Description and it's still not deciding to work. While I was also looking it appears that there is no Game Type in the browser, so I believe that for some reason the server isn't picking up the .Ext at all for some odd reason. 

All of these settings can be set in the editor, try that with no .ext. They have been mostly deprecated for awhile now.

1 hour ago, CW4 Carrera said:

All of these settings can be set in the editor, try that with no .ext. They have been mostly deprecated for awhile now.

While much of what can be done through the description.ext can instead be done through the editor, any description.ext settings will takes priority over editor settings and more can be done with it (e.g. declaring a large number of things). So while the editor is great for mission settings for something quick and easy or just for people not comfortable with scripting or editing the description.ext, at some point you'll want to move to it to open up more options for missions.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Can you link your mission, let me take a look at it.

Mission require any mods?

Thanks for the help so far! So here are the mods needed, and the mission. 
Mods Needed: Star Wars Opposition, 3AS, JTLS The Great War, and maybe 3den Enhanced. Some of the mods have their own dependencies as well.

Mission: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2353897416

16 hours ago, shadowywarrior2 said:

Thanks for the help so far! So here are the mods needed, and the mission. 
Mods Needed: Star Wars Opposition, 3AS, JTLS The Great War, and maybe 3den Enhanced. Some of the mods have their own dependencies as well.

Mission: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2353897416

Thanks, can you make sure on what mods are needed, i will check it out Saturday, really have no time today.

54 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Thanks, can you make sure on what mods are needed, i will check it out Saturday, really have no time today.

oh yea no problem, here are the mods that are needed for the mission to work:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1940589429

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=769440155
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2058554822
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=944356711

As I said before, some of them have other mods that are minor. Anyways appreciate the help, also the mission appears to be working on LAN and people are able to spawn in and everything is functional. It appears to be something up with the server so at least that a relief to know the mission(s) actually work. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, shadowywarrior2 said:

also the mission appears to be working on LAN and people are able to spawn in and everything is functional.

Tested your mission, loads and runs fine, requires ace too at least i got a warning just after mission start.

Looking at it in the editor, you have under attributes everything setup fine, looks to me as you had suggested its something related with the server.

About what i can tell you for the server is the following:

1. If you use a description.ext then the editor under attributes/multiplayer dont need to be setup.
  2. Try the mission on the server without the description and what you currently have with the mission and see if the issue reappears.
  3. With the description.ext if you do use it, set the header at the top as i suggested earlier, keep it simple and be sure that you define the exact numbers as you have playable units.
  4. Be sure the mods on the server are fully uploaded as you would on your own computer.
  5. Be sure the command line is correct.

Do you rent server, or is it a machine you have setup other then the computer you use to play the game (client)?

39 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Tested your mission, loads and runs fine, requires ace too at least i got a warning just after mission start.

Looking at it in the editor, you have under attributes everything setup fine, looks to me as you had suggested its something related with the server.

About what i can tell you for the server is the following:

1. If you use a description.ext then the editor under attributes/multiplayer dont need to be setup.
  2. Try the mission on the server without the description and what you currently have with the mission and see if the issue reappears.
  3. With the description.ext if you do use it, set the header at the top as i suggested earlier, keep it simple and be sure that you define the exact numbers as you have playable units.
  4. Be sure the mods on the server are fully uploaded as you would on your own computer.
  5. Be sure the command line is correct.

Do you rent server, or is it a machine you have setup other then the computer you use to play the game (client)?

Thanks for testing it, I'm running the server off of a hosting website, so Im doing everything through an FTP.