Bandit12345

Cant drive in first person view due to death animation [SOLVED] bug

Every time i enter a vehicle my character automatically goes into a death animation pose. This forces me to look down and i am unable to see out the front window. Anyone else have this problem?

More Details: It happens on all play modes, campaign, scenarios, multiplayer, and arsenal. I've tried troubleshooting by removing all mods, reinstalling the game, verifying files, and updating drivers. This just started happening after I purchased more DLC. It really is game breaking if I want to play in first person. Also I sometimes have issues with the AI getting in and exiting vehicles. They get stuck in a sitting down position next to the vehicle when exiting.

Hello Bandit, Welcome to BI forums!

Gunter here that suggested you come here, i hope some others here may have an idea of what is possibly causeing the issue, also

its easier to create lists, and post links, among many other things because of forum functions vs steam forums.

Anyways let me try this again, some questions:

• What DLC's did you buy before this issue started occuring?
  • Aside the mentioned modes, campaigns, and the other things, have you used any assets from the DLC's at all when you first got them?
  • Were you using any of the assets from the dlcs when this issue was occuring, or it happens in all vanilla and dlc vehicles?
  • Can you post your latest RPT?

Rpt is a log file that the game creates everytime its started, it can be found here:

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

and can be opened with a text document like notepad or wordpad.

Locate it, open it, copy all of it, and then paste it here https://justpaste.it/

click on the red button publish at the bottom center and there will be a link, paste that link in your reply.

Rpt will give me and anyone else a good idea on what is happening in the game during your play, what your running, any errors, ect,.

Hello Gunter thanks for the quick reply and for your help. Following is the information requested. By the way I first noticed the bug playing the "old man" campaign in the very beginning of campaign hoping into the off road. Also different vehicles have different animations. Example dead animation in an off road or similar vehicle and standing up animation in a Tank or similar armor.

- Recent DLC Purchased: 

Arma 3 Karts - 

Arma 3 Helicopters DLC -

Arma 3 Laws of War - 

Arma 3 Contact - 

Arma 3 Marksmen - 

Arma 3 Jets - 

Arma 3 Tac-Ops Mission Pack - 

Arma 3 Tanks - 

- I believe I did use assets as I came into to them. I had not played Arma for awhile until I purchased the DLC during the Steam sale. I started out with campaigns like "old man" and "Contact", then moved on to multi player trying out different vehicles while relearning the game. 

- The bug happens in all vanilla and DLC vehicles. The animation may be different depending on the vehicle, example provided above.

- RPT https://justpaste.it/9bi4o/pdf

Are you running a mod that changes animations at all? This WILL most likely be what the issue is.

When you say "removed all mods" Unticking is not removing. REMOVE AND DELETE THEM then verify game. You will have your issue fixed or your money back.

have you ever used this mod:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/197893-smoother-animations-v4/

redarmy 

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and it unfortunately did not work. I also have never you used the mod posted. I also previously uninstalled the game completely to my knowledge and re downloaded onto a different sds drive without mods. I'm still having the issue. 

Just now I also completely removed steam and all content. Then reinstalled again and the bug is still there. 

Edited by Bandit12345
added info

Hi Bandit, sorry i didn't get back to you right away busy working on something, but i looked at the RPT and dont really

see anything that stands out that would be causing the issue, thanks for linking that btw.

What comes to mind is saves, go to this folder----> C:\Users\your username\Documents\Arma 3\Saved\A3

delete all the folders in that A3 folder if you have it.

Do the same in this folder   -----> C:\Users\your username\Documents\Arma 3\Saved\missions

and the same in this folder if you have it ----> C:\Users\your username\Documents\Arma 3\Saved\MPmissions

What keys do you use to get in and out of vehicles?

Hey Gunter, I just tried your suggestion. I found some folders in there with old mods I had installed, I deleted them and the bug still persists. As for me entering vehicles I typically use space to get in quick or the middle mouse button. As for exiting I use either v v or the middle mouse button. 

A quick reply here before i leave for work, when you do test where do you test and what do you test, are you in the editor?

Also maybe rebind the key you use to enter and exit vehicles to something else, sometimes by default there are keys that

have other keys that you use that could be executing other functions aside what you use it for, or have bound it too.

I personally use the enter key to interact with everything, that is open doors, enter vehicles, climb ladders etc,.

for vehicles, and any type of vehicular like planes, helicopters i assigned my g key to get out action.

When i setup my controls, i delete all bound keys to other things that i don't use, and have only those functions,

or actions i intend to use, rarely do i use any default key functions, so an idea for you.

Any key that executes a complex animation action like the step over, the stance switching could cause some potential

freeze like, animation glitch where two animations are trying to function over each other, like when you press one key for one animation/action

and at the same time the key is bound to something else already by default, you could have a conflict as one animation isn't allowed to finish before

the other one is trying to execute.

I'll give this a try with key bindings. I should let you know, its not just my character, its the ai characters bugging out too. It seems all characters in game for me are affected, even viewing other players in multiplayer.

Dam thats f*cked up, is it possible you can record a short video of what your dealing with?

First time a made a video, hopefully this works. The 4 wheel is bugged with delayed eject as well FYI. I put in different vehicles to show the different animations I get.

• Thanks 1

Great, video is good, it really shows what your dealing with, how its happening i'm rather perplexed, never had such issue myself,

somehow im thinking there is a corrupt file, or cache you have that is screwing with the animations.

About the only thing i can think of is to wipe the drive the game is on and reinstall and if it persists then i would have to blame something with the DLC's, maybe the Old man

as you said you played that prior to this issue occuring, or something with your hardware, possibly the graphics card but idk how.

I'd really like to help, i mean i feel bad your dealing with this but im out of ideas, i asked Old bear to see if he could give a perspective on this,

wait and see, or you could even send him a pm and link your thread here, i ask for him as the guy knows his computers and the arma engine.

Anyone else have ideas, Bandit can you list your hardware your working with.

Gunter I appreciate your time, Thanks again. This is a real pain. I did reach out to bis studio with a trouble shooting ticket. I tried their fix, but still did not change the bug. Below is what they suggested. I searched my computer to try and delete every arma file I have and did this twice. Without trying to wipe everything, I'm not sure what options I have left.

Hardware: AMD ryzen 7 3700x,  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 16GB ram 

Hello,

please try clean reinstallation of Arma 3:

1. Uninstall the game.

2. Download and install CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and

scan/fix your registry.

3. Make a backup of Arma 3 folder in Documents.

4. Delete both Arma 3 folders in Documents and Steam:

\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\Documents\Arma 3

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3

5. Reboot your PC.

6. Run Steam as Admin, download the game.

7. Try to run Arma 3 (without mods).

--

Best Regards,

16 hours ago, Bandit12345 said:

I did reach out to bis studio with a trouble shooting ticket. I tried their fix, but still did not change the bug.

Hmm thats to bad, glad they at least responded and told you to do something, but still whats happening as

im getting rather intrigued by why this is even occuring, i mean what perplexes me is your not running any mods,

or using any scripts, and just in the editor.

It would be different if you were using a mod or a script, then it would be possibly much simpler to determine the cause

about the only thing that comes to mind atm is if your running any background programs that have any influence over the game

like something like what you recorded the video with, antivirus, chat programs other then steam.

You could go to your taskmanager and see whats running, maybe take a screenshot of it.

I had made a post on the computer thread btw, asking the guys there if they can look at your thread here and possibly see if its a

hardware issue somewhere. Anyways try that, take a screenshot of your taskmanager and post it here, and also post anything

you may be running aside the game.

There's a mod unintentionally loaded or a script running. There's no way this is hardware related.

• Like 1

@Gunther Severloh : from my point of view, it's not hardware related and as Tankbuster said it's related to something running in the background in game.

Before doing a clean install of the game, the recommended procedure is to save your profile.

In this case, it is possible that precisely the cause of the defect is in the profiles of the game or in a folder created for mod which is now obsolete and / or toxic.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your insights, and it makes sense whether its true i guess we'll find out

when Bandit gets on with some more details.

i threw the idea of hardware interfering somehow out there although doubting myself that something with his specs are causing

the animations to act weird only at certain chosen times vs any other time it dont occur so it makes sense that it wouldn't be his hardware

interfering as its not consistent. 

If it were hardware related then i would think that he would lose control of various things and or the game would freeze, crash or lag or the screen would

have odd particles of the sort to it, but this is not the case.

In my previous post i had the idea that it has to be something outside influencing the game somehow, as you suggested Tankbuster

an unintentional script or mod loaded being used.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

There's a mod unintentionally loaded or a script running. There's no way this is hardware related.

I agree with the hardware as what i said above, but a mod not loaded, maybe

some questions to ask him could be the following:

• Bandit prior to this animation issue starting, and besides the DLC's did you ever or have you played with mods, and what mods?
  • Have you used any scripts before in your missions, or in the editor?

Is it possible that in the arma3 launcher you have a mod loaded that you are unaware that it is loaded?

or are you using another launcher that may have a mod loaded that may be causing this?

On 1/4/2021 at 6:33 PM, Bandit12345 said:

I started out with campaigns like "old man" and "Contact", then moved on to multi player trying out different vehicles while relearning the game. 

As he said here in an earlier post, i was thinking more in terms of his saves, when he played the Old man, and had a save that somehow the

save time corrupted something to where he gets the bug.

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

In this case, it is possible that precisely the cause of the defect is in the profiles of the game or in a folder created for mod which is now obsolete and / or toxic.

What comes to mind is a profile for arsenal, but then how?

Would wiping the hard drive the game is on possibly eliminate this issue hes dealing with, or do you think its to connected, like his

profile is on one drive, while the game is on another, idk his exact setup but just wiping the game from the drive still would leave

traces of arma3 on his computer, maybe he could use Agent Ransack https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

to look and see what his computer has related to the game, im thinking key words must be used to bring up some information

related and for the game, registry, profiles, saves, ect,.

Could there be some files that need to be deleted that I am missing. I have steam on my hdd drive and arma installed on my ssd. C drive is my operating systems,  D drive has steam and other games and E drive has games like arma to improve performance on my ssd. Maybe there is some file that needs to be removed that I am unaware of. I went searching for everything related to arma and removed it. Maybe there is something there that I just cant find.

Gunter to your two questions:

Bandit prior to this animation issue starting, and besides the DLC's did you ever or have you played with mods, and what mods? Mods I had installed before DLC were Resist, Antistasi, Minotaur, Hunter Six, ACE, CBA. I started downloading more mods for a WW2 server like CUP and others but never used them. 

Have you used any scripts before in your missions, or in the editor? As far as scripts go, I'm not familiar with them. I only used mods from the Steam Workshop. 

Bandit thanks for the added information.

Other then ACE and CBA the others are missions and a campaign i cant see them adding issues.

Lets do this, download this program: 

Agent Ransack https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

its a free program click on download and install it, and then run it,  the program looks like

this in my screenshot below when you start it:

http://prntscr.com/wk3y82

Set the program up like i have it in my screenshot:

• Type the word Arma in the search box under file name (top left).
  • Where it says look in:    set it to all your drives, like C drive, your HDD, your SSD, ect,.
  • Also tick the box that says sub folders
  • Once you have set those, click on start top right, and let it run, should take a couple minutes to scan your computer for everything under Arma.

Other instructions before you start:

1. Before you run Agent Ransack, uninstall Arma3, and everything related to it.
  2. Also in the workshop unsubscribe from everything, missions, mods, ect,.
  3. Then run Agent Ransack and see what comes up.
  4. When its done, if possible take a screenshot of the program to show the list of what was found, or even record a short video of it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gunter, Thank you for sticking with me on this to figure this out. Your fix worked. I went in after using ransack and deleted all the arma files. Reinstalled arma and the bug is gone. Ill post the link for reference, I deleted all the files related to arma in the link. I just wanted to say thanks again for your time on this, much appreciated.

https://justpaste.it/2s9zp/pdf

• Like 3

Bandit, wonderful news!

Was wondering when you were coming back to report what the result was, but since Tankbuster and Oldbear posted what they thought it could be,

i thought the only way to be sure to eliminate something you cant find on your computer for arma is to locate it all.

I had figured aside what the other two guys mentioned about something beng on your drive, and you had already deleted the files

from the document folders, there must be more files somewhere if the bug was still there.

Your very welcome, im glad i could help, and that your issue is solved finally, it was getting me worried only because i felt bad that

you were dealing with this issue and we had so far up until my previous post had tried and looked just about everything.

Prior to reply to your thread initially i must have spent almost an hour researching various terms for your issue, there were

some similar but not like yours so it was rather perplexing.

I'm rather very happy and relieved that this has been fixed/solved, theres nothing like playing your favorite game with a bug

or an issue with it that prevents you from really enjoying it.

If you ever have any issues or problems or need help with something for the game, send me a pm,

if you want send me a friend invite on steam, my name there is the same here. Cheers!

Ps. Bandit, put (solved) in the title so for those who may have a similar or even same bug can get some answers.

• Like 1

It's strange that a simple check for integrity of local files (from steam arma properties) didn't do the trick, but if I'm right this was never considered here.

5 hours ago, pierremgi said:

It's strange that a simple check for integrity of local files (from steam arma properties) didn't do the trick, but if I'm right this was never considered here.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't suggested at some point, even if it's not documented here.

Ransack is very much a blunt weapon here, but given the OP had been struggling for so long, you can't blame him for deploying it. I'll bet good money that says a script or addon was being loaded by the game and that Ransack cleared it out. Exactly what script or addon... we'll never know.