Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

general performance question

Will limiting the FPS reduce strain on the CPU by not allowing the GPU prepare frames for it? I read this somewhere but couldnt find any other confirmation.

Arma3 has a built in FPS limiter(so not using vsync)

I have a good GPU and a 7 year old mid tier(i74790) CPU.  I just wonder if this will help in any sort of situation,or hamper performance.

Cheers

Hi, redarmy

Happy new year (if possible) 😎

No!

There is no "built in FPS limiter" in Arma3.

A long time ago on a previous millennium, it seemed a good thing in order to get the most precise simulation possible on the screen to make the final rendering depend totally and strictly on the computation of the simulation.

That was the way Real Virtuality was designed.

Things have been a bit complicated by the plan to introduce the management of a sophisticated AI into the computing of a wide open world.

To do so, it needs a powerful, efficient and very fast CPU to compute all the game asset before rendering.

The FPS limiter in Arma*  is the processor itself.

As long as the GPU does not prevent the processor from expressing its power, its intrinsic level of performance does not matter.

I formed this opinion after testing 7 i7-4790, i7-7700K, R5 2600, R5 3600, R5 3600X and R7 3700X and 5 GTX 970, GTX 1060 3 GB and 6GB, RX 5700 and RTX 2060 GPUs in 1080p.

Among the PCs that I play with and test Arma3 with, there is one based on an i7-4790 / GTX 1060 3 GB / 16 GB 1866MHz combo. From my point of view, it is at the minimum level for playability for the game in MP.

On the dedicated server of our clan, it allows me to play regularly at more than 30 FPS in 1080p, while the overall visibility of the server is set at 3200m.

I have to say that most of the time we play the native game, without any add-on.

The only way to get higher FPS is to get a CPU more efficient and able to reach the highest possible stable frequency in boost.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldbear said:

Hi, redarmy

Happy new year (if possible) 😎

No!

There is no "built in FPS limiter" in Arma3.

A long time ago on a previous millennium, it seemed a good thing in order to get the most precise simulation possible on the screen to make the final rendering depend totally and strictly on the computation of the simulation.

That was the way Real Virtuality was designed.

Things have been a bit complicated by the plan to introduce the management of a sophisticated AI into the computing of a wide open world.

To do so, it needs a powerful, efficient and very fast CPU to compute all the game asset before rendering.

The FPS limiter in Arma*  is the processor itself.

As long as the GPU does not prevent the processor from expressing its power, its intrinsic level of performance does not matter.

I formed this opinion after testing 7 i7-4790, i7-7700K, R5 2600, R5 3600, R5 3600X and R7 3700X and 5 GTX 970, GTX 1060 3 GB and 6GB, RX 5700 and RTX 2060 GPUs in 1080p.

Among the PCs that I play with and test Arma3 with, there is one based on an i7-4790 / GTX 1060 3 GB / 16 GB 1866MHz combo. From my point of view, it is at the minimum level for playability for the game in MP.

On the dedicated server of our clan, it allows me to play regularly at more than 30 FPS in 1080p, while the overall visibility of the server is set at 3200m.

I have to say that most of the time we play the native game, without any add-on.

The only way to get higher FPS is to get a CPU more efficient and able to reach the highest possible stable frequency in boost.

Happy New year oldbear

And thanks for the detailed feedback. The FPS limiter i was refering to is the method in which you hold shift and num pad minus,then type FPS and it locks FPS to 60,type fps again for 40,again for 20 and again for default/unlocked.

Im running also with a 1060 6 GB vram / SSD 16GB RAM and i only play SP scenarios that *I MAKE.Very important imo to create your own scenarios catering to what you know your cpu can handle. I only plaay with vanilla assets though do use mods for gameplay purposes though keep it very light were possible,one and only one mod even is a dependency in any mission i make.

Using the show hide module(so no external scripts) i am able to have 60 vehicles or more and 300-400 infantry in my combined arms mission,all "unhiding" at well thought out albiet random times,and at any one time having no more than 8 man squads (max number),3 or 4 per side(2 sides) and 3-6 vehicles.Using dynamic simulation on absolutely everything that isnt needed simulated and playing at a view dis of 2800 and obj dis of 1600 and im maintaining a healthy 45+ FPS under the most intense moments of combat and 60+ during minor skirmishes and no combat.

YAAB without any mods shows me getting on average 35FPS and i ran test alot. With my mod list 31-32fps.  For an i74790 3.6ghz i think thats quite decent comparing to others tests.My PC is never running anything when i play.

However im always(like everyone) trying to figure out how to gain that little bit extra.I feel after 7 years iv come to a wall in terms of finding more ways to make the game run better without upgrades.

I find it strangely enjoyable talking and learning about Arma3 and performance

As many other codes you can find in Arma* from the start, the method to limit FPS was created for testing purpose and has no current practical interest.